Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 11:25 PM

4,645 posts, read 4,505,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I wonder when people say family friend and perfect do the main white. Hermosa Beach and Manhattan Beach are much white than Venice. So if you're looking for racial/ethnic diversity, and if you aren't white yourself you might not be so interested in living in Hermosa or Manhattan Beach for some rather obvious reasons.
I'm not white, but I would still consider Manhattan Beach to be more family-friendly than either Santa Monica or Venice. MB is far more residential than either Venice or Santa Monica, and housing is dominated by single family homes. Even the few multi-family units are restricted to three stories, so you don't have as much traffic or crowding as you do further north. All of that gives you a small-town feel, which combined with the lower crime rates makes it more "family-friendly" for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 01:04 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,817,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
TBH.....your gonna be dissapointed for the rest of your life. If diversity is the answer...not too many places. Just be happy with what you have.
There are a lot of fairly diverse places in LA. Venice, Mar Vista, Culver City, Hollywood, etc.

Some people here automatically wipe diverse communities of their list, and I think at least some people are hiding behind "family" friendly (white kids should grow up in the wealthiest and the whitest communities possible).

Old 03-28-2016, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I'm not white, but I would still consider Manhattan Beach to be more family-friendly than either Santa Monica or Venice. MB is far more residential than either Venice or Santa Monica, and housing is dominated by single family homes. Even the few multi-family units are restricted to three stories, so you don't have as much traffic or crowding as you do further north. All of that gives you a small-town feel, which combined with the lower crime rates makes it more "family-friendly" for us.
Oh but you have to worry about more than lower crime rates. Are your kids really welcome in those lily white schools? Are you really welcome in these areas socially and do you feel comfortable there?

I've had friends of all races and I would prefer to raise any children that I do have in the future in a more diverse neighborhood. I would chose Venice or Santa Monica.

That's my personal preference and I'm not declaring it the be all for everyone.

At the same time, the idea that some people want to separate themselves and move to what they KNOW is the whitest areas tells you what some people's priorities are.

Even the single family home issue cannot be separated from race. The percentage of white people who are single family home owners is higher than it is for other groups. I'm not saying people shouldn't live in single family homes, and I will buy one when I can afford one. But there needs to be an examination of what people really mean when they can't bare to see multiple unit homes.

And by the way there are non whites who hate to be around other non whites and who want to live in nearly all white areas.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:22 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,974,947 times
Quote:
There are a lot of fairly diverse places in LA. Venice, Mar Vista, Culver City, Hollywood, etc.

Some people here automatically wipe diverse communities of their list, and I think at least some people are hiding behind "family" friendly (white kids should grow up in the wealthiest and the whitest communities possible).
It's not even about race at that point....Unless your the color green.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Oh but you have to worry about more than lower crime rates. Are your kids really welcome in those lily white schools? Are you really welcome in these areas socially and do you feel comfortable there?

I've had friends of all races and I would prefer to raise any children that I do have in the future in a more diverse neighborhood. I would chose Venice or Santa Monica.

At the same time, the idea that some people want to separate themselves and move to what they KNOW is the whitest areas tells you what some people's priorities are.

Even the single family home issue cannot be separated from race. The percentage of white people who are single family home owners is higher than it is for other groups. I'm not saying people shouldn't live in single family homes, and I will buy one when I can afford one. But there needs to be an examination of what people really mean when they can't bare to see multiple unit homes.

And by the way there are non whites who hate to be around other non whites and who want to live in nearly all white areas.
The rapper Cozz... Who's signed to Dreamville went to Mira Costa even though he's from South Central L.A.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:52 AM

4,645 posts, read 4,505,235 times
Quote:

I grew up in probably the most diverse place in the planet. Growing up and living in Queens since the 70s, lunchtime in our public school elementary school cafeteria looked like a meeting of the UN General Assembly. I probably appreciate the benefits of exposure to other cultures more than most people. However, I also remember walking past a blood-stained sidewalk on my way to school, my dad getting mugged in our own driveway, and my friends and I having close calls with local thugs pretty often, even those of my own race.

I'd rather deal with figuring out how to improve our kids' exposure to other ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds than deal with the things my parents worried about. Lower crime rates are important to us.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 03-28-2016 at 12:11 PM..

Old 03-28-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I grew up in probably the most diverse place in the planet. Growing up and living in Queens since the 70s, lunchtime in our public school elementary school cafeteria looked like a meeting of the UN General Assembly. I probably appreciate the benefits of exposure to other cultures more than most people. However, I also remember walking past a blood-stained sidewalk on my way to school, my dad getting mugge
d in our own driveway, and my friends and I having close calls with local thugs pretty often, even those of my own race.

I'd rather deal with figuring out how to improve our kids' exposure to other ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds than deal with the things my parents worried about. Lower crime rates are important to us.

I too am from NYC. I saw blood from where a man stabbed someone in MIDTOWN Manhattan! No place is totally free of the threat from violence. Also so called bad neighborhoods are that way for socioeconomic and political reasons. Lily white neighborhoods are good neighborhoods precisely because they don't let unwanted people in them, people who are denied access to employment, education, better housing opportunities, etc.

So if you're coming from that bad area of Queens, unless you went out and got a fantastic education (top schools) I very much doubt you'll be able to afford those nice white neighborhoods.

As for so called bad neighborhoods, there are other ways to improve them. Improved policing, improved relationships with the police, better access to jobs, investment from big companies in the form of jobs, etc. Look at all the areas in big cities formerly considered dumps and that are now hot places to live.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
It's not even about race at that point....Unless your the color green.
Oh but it is. Of course while there are people of all races who are rich, we know the majority of wealthy people will be white. Moving to a really exclusive neighborhood means living in a neighborhood that is nearly all white.

It's family friend all right (white family friendly).

Old 03-28-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Oh but it is. Of course while there are people of all races who are rich, we know the majority of wealthy people will be white. Moving to a really exclusive neighborhood means living in a neighborhood that is nearly all white.

It's family friend all right (white family friendly).
There are a ton of athletes that live in Manhattan Beach. It's actually probably the most popular destination besides cities in Florida & TX were Pro Athletes choose to purchase a home. I don't think the citizens of Manhattan Beach care what color you are, as long as you can afford it. Yes, most of those people are white.

Edit: Here is an article from 2008

Last edited by jamills21; 03-28-2016 at 01:36 PM..

Old 03-28-2016, 01:40 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,994,684 times
I've seen some of the LA Kings down in Hermosa Beach. I know some of them own in Redondo Beach as well but probably in the nicer parts. Plus, they can afford to send their kids to private school. Diversity would be a distant third consideration if I were raising kids in LA. My first two concerns would be safety and a good education. The high school I went to in the Chicago suburbs was about 2/3 white and 1/3 black. Do I win some diversity contest for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles