Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 12:57 AM

8 posts, read 32,001 times

Advertisements

I am starting a landscaping project soon and part of it is to replace the shared chain fence. Today I walked up to my neighbor and tell them I want to do it. I made sure I asked them nicely, but they want to keep the chain fence and told me to install the new one in front of it.

I left and later when I thought more about it, maybe it's because they think that I want them to share the cost. That's not my intention, I wouldn't mind paying for the full cost as the fence is not a lot comparing to the overall landscaping project. So I will talk to them again tomorrow. I will let them know that I will pay for the full cost and if I can resolve any concerns they have. I just need their agreement.

But I am still worried that they will still refuse for whatever reason. Building a new one in front of the old one is a big no for me. Firstly it makes our usable lot smaller. Secondly it makes the area in between the two fences hard to clean and maintain. Lastly if they remove it later themselves it means they will occupy the lot that was originally ours.

I really want to convince them to agree on replacing it. I read the state code and it explains that as long as the fence is used by both parties, it's owned by both parties. So if at last they still refuse to allow me to replace it, I will attach/fix my new fence onto the old fence. It makes it hard, if not impossible, to remove the old fence themselves without asking my permission. Since I am attaching my new fence onto the old fence, I am still considered using the old fence and continues to own it. They can't remove it without my agreement, just like now I can't replace it without their agreement.

Yet, it does no good to both of us and I really hope I don't have to do that, but it is what it is if it's the only option to protect my rights. Are there other ways to resolve it? Any concerns to what I am going to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 09:02 AM

362 posts, read 543,677 times
Get a survey to determine property lines. If the existing fence is on your side, remove it. If not, build a new one on your side. Either way, get a permit for all of this. Next time, don’t even talk about this with your neighbors, just go through the legal channels necessary. Good God, how I hate neighbors!

We’re listing our house in three weeks because of one. If the offer we made just gets accepted, the first thing we’re going to do is gut all the landscaping and plant ficus trees on three sides of the property.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:58 AM

548 posts, read 473,468 times
What was wrong with your current neighbor?

OP, you made the right decision to speak with your neighbor first. Try again and if it doesn't work out then just install the fence on your side from the other fence. 1/2 an inch away.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:55 PM

434 posts, read 1,018,793 times
I think you're smart to plan a second conversation with your neighbor. His or her objections may disappear after you offer to foot the bill.

If the neighbor still says 'no,' I'd consult with a qualified attorney before making the next move. I see that the Los Angeles County Bar Association offers a referral service: Need Legal Help

Extra money and hassle, I know, but far better to find out first where you stand.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:34 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Vagabond View Post
I think you're smart to plan a second conversation with your neighbor. His or her objections may disappear after you offer to foot the bill.

If the neighbor still says 'no,' I'd consult with a qualified attorney before making the next move. I see that the Los Angeles County Bar Association offers a referral service: Need Legal Help

Extra money and hassle, I know, but far better to find out first where you stand.
Well the "I will foot the bill" conversation should have been brought up the first time. In fact you should lead with that.

Neighbor isn't a mind reader.

The clearer you communicate the less chance of people walking away not sure of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: