Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:43 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight outta camden View Post
I'm not sure it is worth spending 5 days in SF. And it sure isn't worth spending 7 days in LA. One of the nicest, most interesting cities in the world to live in is a lousy place to visit as a tourist. Very few world-class sites and not especially nice beaches.

In my opinion one of the nicest California trips is to go NE from Los Angeles through Lone Pine, then approach Yosemite from the east, over the mountains--the roads ought to be clear of snow at that time of year. Then head to SF from there. Take a few days. This is more spectacular than the coast, which is really pretty dull until you approach Big Sur. And it is vastly nicer than taking the fast road from LA to Oakland. The San Joaquin Valley is one of California's grimmest places--at that time of year it is so polluted you won't even be able to see the hills.
Are you kidding?

You must also like the pleasent, scenic ride to vegas as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 04:18 PM

422 posts, read 1,818,873 times
If you take the coast route, Cambria might be a good place to stay overnight. There are nice, cozy hotels right on the beach. Hearst Castle and a great seal-watching beach are minutes away.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:24 PM

225 posts, read 1,090,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Are you kidding?

You must also like the pleasent, scenic ride to vegas as well.
Sorry, but there is no comparison. Admittedly the stretch from LA to Mohave is dull but it improves greatly soon after that. By the time you reach Lone Pine you have continental America's tallest mountain on your left and nice towns to stop in.

The 5 to Oakland, on the other hand, is dismal from the moment you drop into the San Joaquin Valley. As for the coast, I'm really not thrilled by the stretch from LA to San Luis Obispo (which is more than half the drive). Big Sur to Monterey is great, but that's a pretty small leg of the drive.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:01 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight outta camden View Post
Sorry, but there is no comparison. Admittedly the stretch from LA to Mohave is dull but it improves greatly soon after that. By the time you reach Lone Pine you have continental America's tallest mountain on your left and nice towns to stop in.

The 5 to Oakland, on the other hand, is dismal from the moment you drop into the San Joaquin Valley. As for the coast, I'm really not thrilled by the stretch from LA to San Luis Obispo (which is more than half the drive). Big Sur to Monterey is great, but that's a pretty small leg of the drive.
I wouldnt want to deal with going inland then up through the lancaster area. I do recall it gets interesting around lone pine.

On my last trip I blew through San Luis by 9:30 am, so I cant really figure that as a major part of the trip.. The key is to not stop in Santa Barbara.
I never take the 5. If I had to go the 5 route, I would simply fly instead.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:20 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
I done both and they are 'Both' great! And they both have their boring sections for the first half.

The big payoff taking the 395 to Lone Pine is the magnificent view of Mt. Whitney. From then on the drive is simply awesome for mountain majesty. Then you have Mammoth with literally 100s of lakes. From there you can go over Tioga Pass to to
Tuolumne Meadows and into Yosemite's back side and onto the Valley, etc...

The coast is really awesome once you get past Morro Bay, break out of the fog and head up the 1 North. Before that it is a long drive with some glipses of the coast here and there, but nothing really special.

Either way the orginal poster can go down to the coast up by SF and head down toward Monterey.

But ultimately either one makes for a great trip.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:55 PM

19 posts, read 65,719 times
Thanks for all the advise. When I have finalised my trip I will post our itinerary here. After the trip I hope to post a report.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:07 PM

41 posts, read 247,282 times
I would spend some days visiting some touristy places. In LA -Universal Studios is fun stuff and huge. Melrose is a trip onto itself, but if you go on the weekend all the colorful locals are out of town.(that might be best for your daughter, haha, lots of tatoos there).

Down south from there- you can't pass on seeing Disneyland in Anaheim. The beaches in LA are disgusting so I'd head down south to Laguna Beach for a day (home sweet home) where there are restaurants and loads of stuff to do all packed into a small art colony on the beach. Be sure not to miss the Sawdust Festival and the Pageant of the Masters.

Farther south, San Clemente has the surf scene and lots of cute boys to look at. (Hey, I was 16 once ya know.) San Diego has Sea World and the SD Zoo, which is unlike any other. Old Town is full of interesting shops too.

You could take the train from SD up the coast to Santa Barbara, which has alot to do. A beautiful, clean city that has a lovely harbor, pier, zoo at the beach, people riding around in little pedal cars, parks galore, museums and loads of shops and restaurants.

I would drive from there, up the coastline to San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay and Cambria. SLO will plant the college seed in your 16 yr old as it's very cool and earthy there and the little town is beautiful.

After that I can't suggest anything as I have some exploring to do myself!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles