Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 02:32 PM

8 posts, read 33,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmj View Post
You can get all you need to know from some of the people on this board. Yes, I do bash L.A. and that's because it's an extremely dissapointing city. Like it or not maybe some of you should try and live in other cities. It is my general observation that the Angelenos just take things blindly in stride and bury their head in the sand. Nobody cares out here. It's the most selfish city in the world. Travel first then respond. And please don't come at me with knowledge when your screen name is that of a movie character.

The city generally lacks any true 'community' feeling. It's very transient and that contributes to the reason why nobody cares. When I was here back in the 90's it was a much different place. Yes it had it problems and was dangerous but so is every city. It was then on an upswing. Currently it is on a down swing. If you choose not to see this then your watching too much t.v. Open your eyes, read what's going on politically, demographically, crime stats, real estate booms. It all there but most people out here would rather watch Entertainment Tonight than spend 20 minutes in an intelligent conversation.

As for those mocking the OP who wrote 'get out while you can' you are all demonstrating the exact point I'm making. Why don't you think about it. Ever hear of kids and school? How about college and semesters. Employment contracts and spousal obligations. There are lots of reasons people are somewhat forced to be in a place for a certain amount of time. If you would stop living in pirate LALA land you might understand this.

Traffic is the worst in the nation. Again. People drive around with bumper stickers demorilizing our president, all the while talking on their cell phones in their SUV's on the 405. Then the media has the gall to talk about being a green city. It's a joke. It's all one big unintelligent joke out here. The only real reason to live in this city is for the entertainment business. If you are in that particular field than it's a different story. However unlike most other metropolitan areas it only has that one leg to stand on. Think about it. Sports teams are a bust out here. Nobody shows up. Go watch an Angels game in September and take note of the stands. Then go across the coast and watch the Cubs. Guarentee there are more watching the Cubs than Angels even with the Angels in first place. This is the nations second largest market and they can't hold an NFL team. Why? Because it would be a big bust. Traffic is so disgusting that people don't want to leave home to deal with it. Again contributing to the selfishness and 'I don't care" attitude that permeates the town.
I disagree on every point except for the traffic-yes it does suck......

I am not in the entertainment business and I was born and raised in Los Angeles....

If you are so unhappy with a city-why live there?? I am sure you would be much more happy somewhere else and so would we

Old 09-20-2007, 02:49 PM

149 posts, read 458,360 times
That's fine if you disagree. State youe reasons for them opposing my points. I would love to hear the other side of the conversation from you. And yes I am moving as soon as I can but there are reasons one cannot just pick up and move. Read some of my points.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:17 PM

8 posts, read 33,417 times
Quote:
That's fine if you disagree. State youe reasons for them opposing my points. I would love to hear the other side of the conversation from you. And yes I am moving as soon as I can but there are reasons one cannot just pick up and move. Read some of my points.
I did already post my reasons for living here on the first page but I will certainly respond to some of yours:

It is my general observation that the Angelenos just take things blindly in stride and bury their head in the sand. Nobody cares out here. It's the most selfish city in the world
It hard to lump a whole city into selfishness...I dont understand??? There are selfish people in every city, town, country, etc..... Nobody cares out here?? Well, everyone I know and whom I associate with are some of the nicest people ever-I happen to care alot about people, animals etc...I love life :-) thats just my personality

The city generally lacks any true 'community' feeling. It's very transient and that contributes to the reason why nobody cares.
the reason you may experience this is that most people are from somewhere else and found their home here in LA.....I have the greatest sense of community with everyone I know and I love that everyone is from different place/backgrounds makes it more diverse and interesting

Go watch an Angels game in September and take note of the stands. Then go across the coast and watch the Cubs.
I disagree with this totally...My husband is from New York and we go watch sports every weekend with all our friends we love it!!! Also perhaps you have never been to a sports bar on the westside for a USC game :-)

Anyways, good luck wherever you end up...I like to see the positives in the community I call home!

Old 09-20-2007, 03:20 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,240 times
Quote:
You can get all you need to know from some of the people on this board. Yes, I do bash L.A. and that's because it's an extremely dissapointing city. Like it or not maybe some of you should try and live in other cities. It is my general observation that the Angelenos just take things blindly in stride and bury their head in the sand. Nobody cares out here. It's the most selfish city in the world. Travel first then respond. And please don't come at me with knowledge when your screen name is that of a movie character.

The city generally lacks any true 'community' feeling. It's very transient and that contributes to the reason why nobody cares. When I was here back in the 90's it was a much different place. Yes it had it problems and was dangerous but so is every city. It was then on an upswing. Currently it is on a down swing. If you choose not to see this then your watching too much t.v. Open your eyes, read what's going on politically, demographically, crime stats, real estate booms. It all there but most people out here would rather watch Entertainment Tonight than spend 20 minutes in an intelligent conversation.

As for those mocking the OP who wrote 'get out while you can' you are all demonstrating the exact point I'm making. Why don't you think about it. Ever hear of kids and school? How about college and semesters. Employment contracts and spousal obligations. There are lots of reasons people are somewhat forced to be in a place for a certain amount of time. If you would stop living in pirate LALA land you might understand this.

Traffic is the worst in the nation. Again. People drive around with bumper stickers demorilizing our president, all the while talking on their cell phones in their SUV's on the 405. Then the media has the gall to talk about being a green city. It's a joke. It's all one big unintelligent joke out here. The only real reason to live in this city is for the entertainment business. If you are in that particular field than it's a different story. However unlike most other metropolitan areas it only has that one leg to stand on. Think about it. Sports teams are a bust out here. Nobody shows up. Go watch an Angels game in September and take note of the stands. Then go across the coast and watch the Cubs. Guarentee there are more watching the Cubs than Angels even with the Angels in first place. This is the nations second largest market and they can't hold an NFL team. Why? Because it would be a big bust. Traffic is so disgusting that people don't want to leave home to deal with it. Again contributing to the selfishness and 'I don't care" attitude that permeates the town.
You will never change my mind about how awesome Los Angeles is. You fail to recognize that I am unaffected by traffic. I have a great circle of friends. Money is abundant here, and I'm not a sports fan. I don't have kids (but am preparing for a day when I do to not be a schlock who can't afford to do it right.)

So why do you waste your breath? Just leave. Literally.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:46 PM

149 posts, read 458,360 times
I am certainly not trying to change anyone's mind. I am just posting my thoughts under the thread "Get out if you can". I was giving my thoughts to agree with the OP. Is that o.k with you captain?

Old 09-20-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I am certainly not trying to change anyone's mind. I am just posting my thoughts under the thread "Get out if you can". I was giving my thoughts to agree with the OP. Is that o.k with you captain?
'Cause no one has ever heard that LA has bad traffic?

WELL GEE THANKS FOR THE UPDATE!!!

And yet you call ME captain...

Old 09-20-2007, 09:00 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:

The upswing of the late 90s followed the extreme downswing of the early 90s, the worst period in LA's history, and certainly worse than the present.
The rise in real estate prices did finish off said upswing however there are many parts of LA that are a great deal better today than in the late 90s, Hollywood in particular is much improved. It's in better shape now than its been in since the 70s. Venice has improved as well (although it is in danger of losing its character as rents/housing prices approach the level of Malibu's). Echo Park has improved. Downtown which I NEVER thought would improve actually has. Palms has improved (it was teetering right on the verge of becoming a really bad neighborhood throughout most of the 90s).
Culver City has become a happening neighborhood for the first time since the pre-WW2 era. Mid City West is improving. Admittedly, the Valley is getting worse, and I really don't see much hope for the Valley outside of the southeastern part. Kind of like how the Bronx has continued to become worse as the rest of NYC has improved.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:04 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
How will global warming affect LA?
The Westside as the new Atlantis, for one thing - a fellow Culver Cityite and I were joking about how "in 40 years, this place'll be under water".

Old 09-21-2007, 07:58 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,853 times
"Learn to swim I'll see you down in Arizona Bay" Quote Tool song "Aenima".
They've been saying that for years. We (in the midwest) have more deaths due to Tornados, snow car accidents, freezing to death than the West does with Earthquakes and fires. Also, look at all the people killed in Katrina. SoCal has been pretty "safe" compared to some of the natural disasters in other areas.
Some of my family members tell me that California is gonna fall into the ocean. I dont believe that crap but if it DID happen it would probably happen right when we get into town.
madmj, I respect your frustrations and you have every right to as anyone else to voice your opinion. I am just as frustrated with the Midwest as you are with L.A. so we do have that in common

Old 09-21-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
"Learn to swim I'll see you down in Arizona Bay" Quote Tool song "Aenima".
They've been saying that for years. We (in the midwest) have more deaths due to Tornados, snow car accidents, freezing to death than the West does with Earthquakes and fires. Also, look at all the people killed in Katrina. SoCal has been pretty "safe" compared to some of the natural disasters in other areas.
Some of my family members tell me that California is gonna fall into the ocean. I dont believe that crap but if it DID happen it would probably happen right when we get into town.
madmj, I respect your frustrations and you have every right to as anyone else to voice your opinion. I am just as frustrated with the Midwest as you are with L.A. so we do have that in common
Ænima RULES!!!!

Anyway, California isn't going to fall into the ocean. Study the fault lines, they are north/south. If anything, it'll be moving closer to San Francisco...

At a rate of slippage of 33-37 mm/year, and a distance of 614,769,408 millimeters from LA to San Francisco, it would take (roughly) 175,64,841 years for LA to be next to SF.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles