Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:16 PM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 536,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I totally overlooked Malibu in my last post! The thing about Malibu is its so huge. I think the southern part of Malibu has a lot in common with the Westside of LA. Many people there participate in the Westside for work and social activities. But the further more remote parts of Malibu are their own world. Same with Topanga.

We also forgot the unincorporated areas of Marina del Rey and Ladera Heights. Definitely LA. Surprised they weren't ever annexed by LA.
I think they tried, but the residents fought incorporation. If they got better schools I wouldn't blame them but they go to LAUSD anyways. At least they don't have to deal with the incompetent mess that is LAPD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 06:38 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
LASD is the incompetent mess (Especially in west hollywood), not LAPD. LAPD is a pretty good police department overall. They're not perfect, but they've com ea long way.

Then the small city police forces like beverly hills and culver city have no life and love harassing people w/tickets and infractions

Old 03-29-2015, 07:15 PM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 536,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
LASD is the incompetent mess (Especially in west hollywood), not LAPD. LAPD is a pretty good police department overall. They're not perfect, but they've com ea long way.

Then the small city police forces like beverly hills and culver city have no life and love harassing people w/tickets and infractions
If a police force has the time to devote their resources to traffic enforcement, it means that they don't have bigger fish to fry, like murders or gangsters selling meth - to me, that's a good thing.

I'm not a fan of LAPD because they are more interested in the wellbeing of wrongdoers than the people they're supposed to be serving and protecting. Like how in Venice they are more worried about the "human rights" of the homeless than the nuisance they create for the people who live in Venice.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:55 AM

52,198 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
It depends on who I am talking to. If I'm talking to someone who lives here, LA means LA, not the suburbs. If I'm talking to someone who lives far away, LA means the whole region.
That's how I view it as well.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
it all depends on who is the audience. in LA, I can name the neighborhood. outside of LA, I can just say LA. but to put boundaries I would say LA is the area within the city limits AND the areas within a 10 (maybe 15) mi radius of 7th and broadway in DTLA.
why 7th and broadway? I remember seeing an old traffic plan (and map)- from the 30s I think- and that was the center of LA.
Play with the map at the link. see what falls within 5/10/15 mi of DTLA

Radius Around a Point on a Map

at a 10 Mi radius Bigger cities like SaMo, Burbank and Pas fall at or just outside of the circle.

http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-a...lw=1&fc=00FF00

Old 04-01-2015, 02:09 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
The entire county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles