Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 04:13 PM

11 posts, read 9,235 times

Advertisements

Hey I'm Adam. I'm 21 and live in Brooklyn, NY where I grew up. I have no children but would every ally like to meet someone and change that. I share a 2 bedroom with my brother and his wife but they are pregnant and currently in the process of looking to buy a home in the suburbs. My parents live in Surfside Florida close to Miami Beach. Since I will have to move anyway, this is a shot for me to relocate. I have a great aunt (grandmother's younger sister) who has lived in Los Angeles for 30 years and every visit I have had out there I really enjoy. She said I can stay with her and her husband for as long as I want since their kids have moved out and they have too much room in their home. They live close to the intersection of Olympic and Cienaga.

I am a teller at a bank, they are mostly in the Northeast but have one branch in CA, which is near UC Los Angeles and I am going to transfer there. I am also planning on getting my Real Estate license and doing that eventually.

Here are my questions -

I have a license but have never owned a car. I will get one when I am there but I was wondering if it would be completely impossible or take 3 hours to get from Olympic and Cienaga to UCLA on a bus or train? If that's the case I will purchase a crappy old car off craigslist until I can get a lease for a nice sedan.

Though I will be living with my auntie to start, I would eventually want to get my own apartment. I would like somewhere quiet and suburb like, a little boring and safe. I don't like "hip" or anything like. I was recommended Sherman Oaks but I read that it is now a trendy hipster area which is not anywhere I feel comfortable at all. Can you recommend a good area for what I want? Under $1500 for 1 bedroom

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 04:23 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,187,386 times
You're 21 and you want to live in a quieter, more boring area than your elderly aunt? It sounds like any place near your job is going to be too lively for you.

That said, you're only like 4 miles from UCLA at your aunt's place so you should be able to take the bus there in an hour or less. You could bike there much quicker though.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:27 PM

642 posts, read 2,553,769 times
What an awesome opportunity! Watch out for craigslist cars. I am outside LA in the IE but every time we tried that it was not good. We would pay a mechanic or take a friend who was a mechanic before thinking about buying. A lot of the cars are put back together. There is other areas of the Valley. Sherman Oaks is just a safe place and looks to be an easier drive. I have been looking that way too. Have you thought about Burbank? There are a few in that area for 1 bedroom for 1500. Its safe. And Not trendy

Old 05-30-2015, 05:00 PM

Yeah I am not really the trendy type and do not groove with "young urban professional" or hipsters crowd. I don't mind chain stores or anything like that. I am kind of conservative in behavior. I have lived in either Manhattan (till age 11) or Brooklyn my whole life and want a spot more suburban and quiet as long as it is a decent commute (45 mins by car). As for biking I wouldn't ever ride a bike to work, talk about dangerous and over exerting!

My aunt lives there because of the Jewish character of the area. She doesn't feel comfortable in areas that aren't mostly Jewish. She also moved there in 1983!

Thanks for the tip about Burbank! Looking into it now!

Old 05-30-2015, 06:05 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,389,513 times
From Olympic/La Cienega you just walk up a few blocks up to Wilshire and catch the 20/720 bus to Westwood in 20-40 mins depending on traffic. It comes like every 3-10 minutes in rush hour. You bank is most likely in Westwood Village and you just walk from there. Most of the trendy in the valley is on Ventura Blvd. Not hipster just upscale socal lifestyle. Closer to westwood are places like Westchester/Playa del rey. El segundo too.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgreenberg View Post
As for biking I wouldn't ever ride a bike to work, talk about dangerous and over exerting!
Biking in Los Angeles isn't as hinky as biking in New York. I ride my bike all the time and for much longer distances and it's fine.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Biking in Los Angeles isn't as hinky as biking in New York. I ride my bike all the time and for much longer distances and it's fine.
I don't even like walking the 8 blocks to the store to buy cigarettes on Saturday (the bodega across the street from me is closed on Saturday for shabbos - my area is about 2/3 Hasidic jews) so I take the bus...I would smell like a locker room LMAO

As for the person who recommended I live on Ventura Blvd...can anyone recommend some nice complexes (or tell me ones to stay away from?) in that area..

Old 05-30-2015, 09:39 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,052,415 times
Quote:
I don't even like walking the 8 blocks to the store to buy cigarettes
Note: California is #2 in the US for states with the most non-smokers. You can't smoke on the beach, in restaurants, in bars, and even many apartment buildings are nonsmoking. Some jobs screen for nicotine, as they don't want smokers on their health plans. You will get dirty looks from people, sorry to say.

Smoking will also be a major turn-off in the dating pool.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Note: California is #2 in the US for states with the most non-smokers. You can't smoke on the beach, in restaurants, in bars, and even many apartment buildings are nonsmoking. Some jobs screen for nicotine, as they don't want smokers on their health plans. You will get dirty looks from people, sorry to say.

Smoking will also be a major turn-off in the dating pool.
Thank you for that information. Laws are similar in NYC as well. I will be living with my auntie to start and she smokes in her home so that won't be a problem. I will have plenty of time to look for a place as I will be living rent free with no deadline. I obviously will only move to an apartment that allows smoking in it. Don't go to the beach much don't like all the crazy wild life and sand in my crotch. As for jobs I don't think that's legal lol and even if I will be bringing a job with me and my health insurance is not via my job it's blue cross from my dad's Union (he's retired) and I have it for life. As for dating, I only date girls who smoke anyways. And re:dirty looks, they will get returned and I will breathe on them. That's so judgmental lol.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I don't even like walking the 8 blocks to the store to buy cigarettes on Saturday (the bodega across the street from me is closed on Saturday for shabbos - my area is about 2/3 Hasidic jews) so I take the bus...I would smell like a locker room LMAO
It's pretty rare to be so out of shape and adverse to walking short distances in NYC. Eight blocks is too far? Yeesh.

Quote:
Thank you for that information. Laws are similar in NYC as well. I will be living with my auntie to start and she smokes in her home so that won't be a problem. I will have plenty of time to look for a place as I will be living rent free with no deadline. I obviously will only move to an apartment that allows smoking in it. Don't go to the beach much don't like all the crazy wild life and sand in my crotch. As for jobs I don't think that's legal lol and even if I will be bringing a job with me and my health insurance is not via my job it's blue cross from my dad's Union (he's retired) and I have it for life. As for dating, I only date girls who smoke anyways. And re:dirty looks, they will get returned and I will breathe on them. That's so judgmental lol.
You're pretty unusual, dude. FYI, hardly any women in LA smoke cigarettes. I don't think I've seen a single attractive young woman smoking cigarettes since I've been here. Los Angeles is more health conscious than your average city. People don't even want to smoke weed here. We turn it into vapor to avoid carcinogens and lung damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles