Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:06 PM

4 posts, read 7,643 times

Advertisements

As a current and long time resident of the San Fernando Valley, I don't think our area gets enough recognition for all it's rich history, current trends, and colorful music culture. For a long time now I have been feeling like as residents we should embrace that more. does anyone else on here feel the same way or is it just me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 07:23 PM

6,879 posts, read 8,218,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Captain View Post
As a current and long time resident of the San Fernando Valley, I don't think our area gets enough recognition for all it's rich history, current trends, and colorful music culture. For a long time now I have been feeling like as residents we should embrace that more. does anyone else on here feel the same way or is it just me?
Yes, tell us all about it.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:03 PM

Considering there are tons of toponymic examples of the San Fernando Valley areas originating from the dominant Tongva tribe in the area pre spanish settlements. Places like Pacoima, Tujunga, Topanga, Rancho Cucamonga, Azusa, and Cahuenga Pass are all Tongva place names that have been absorbed into general use in California. Theres plenty off places that have historical influence in the valley, such as present-day Mission Hills originally labeled Rancho Encino; where Juan Francisco Reyes built an adobe dwelling beside a Tongva village or rancheria at natural springs. Along with all that and many examples, Chicano history has been a big part of the valley and their pop cultural influence through out california, and the rest of the world. With a little research and some exploring around the are you can learn a ton.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:00 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,764,464 times
Ritchie Valens grew up in Pacoima.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:22 PM

5,959 posts, read 13,073,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Ritchie Valens grew up in Pacoima.
Great song and movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSKJQ18ZoIA

Old 03-30-2015, 12:21 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,805,159 times
The land that gave us omg.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:28 PM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 535,751 times
The culture of the San Fernando Valley in the 1980s was amazing!! The land of "totally" "oh my God" "gag me with a spoon" etc. The movie Valley Girl is seriously one of my favorites and I'm not the least bit embarrassed to admit that.

The culture of the Valley in 2015 isn't unique at all, Persians, Jews and Cholos are not exclusive to the area.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:34 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,141,538 times
Once Tommy Thomas (Palomino) and Filthy McNasty (FM Station) went away, who was out there to bring the new music? Anybody?

Old 03-31-2015, 09:02 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,383,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Once Tommy Thomas (Palomino) and Filthy McNasty (FM Station) went away, who was out there to bring the new music? Anybody?
History of those places are pretty amazing. Of course now they are forgetting except for in the history books although the physical buildings are still there. I live down the street from the Palomino .

Hard to imagine that it was once a place where the big country legends would perform.

Palomino Club (North Hollywood) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It sounds like the bar and area was kind of rough and working class even back in those days. The wikipedia link as some interesting articles at the bottom of it.

Filthy McNastys was a rock club , its now a latin club. It's at Lankershim/Victory. With the promixiity to the noho arts district I could see this one day going back to being a rock venue. I'm sure at some point a larger music venue will open up in the noho arts district area. This area of North Hollywood has more chance for gentrification than further north on lankershim.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
The culture of the Valley in 2015 isn't unique at all, Persians, Jews and Cholos are not exclusive to the area.
True, but im talking about the embracing more than just that. People always view the valley in negative ways for that reason, but you're right they're not exclusive to only the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles