Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:45 AM

36 posts, read 71,809 times

Advertisements

Haha, direct your post to the other person who seemed very adamant that shopping and restaurant selections come second to work proximity and school districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 11:00 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASensiblePerson View Post
I think for a long time, residents of the San Fernando Valley looked at LA "proper" with some insecurity. They moved here wanting to live Westside or in the Hills, but ended up in SFV instead - or moved to SFV after living in LA and running out of money. It was not their first choice. They considered it a downgrade. Now, LA "proper" is so pricey, it's not really considered a "downgrade" to move to SFV, and SFV is getting its own stores and bars and restaurants, so there is less need to become familiar with and hang out in LA as much.
I totally disagree. I think most Valley residents are very proud of their region of LA and shudder at the thought of moving "over the hill."

Of course, you are right there are some people that end up in the Valley because 1. they can't afford the "basin" side 2. their work's location makes living in the "basin" completely impractical.

I can see those other people looking over the hill with a little jealousy. I'm not in the SFV but I'll admit there are times I wished I still lived in the "middle of the action" instead of slightly off to the side.

Quote:
One can make the comparison to Manhattan and the other four boroughs - some people in the boroughs grew up aspiring to live "in the city" (below 96th) for the longest; and people moving from other parts of the US only wanted to live in Manhattan. Now, the prices have made Brooklyn and Queens and upper Manhattan fine places to live.
I don't think that analogy totally fits for the Valley, as LA's Manhattan is not the entire basin but really just like the DTLA / Mid Wilshire / Hollywood / Beverly Hills / West LA / Santa Monica corridor between Wilshire and the Santa Monica Mountains. In that way, the "outer boroughs" of Mid-City, Highland Park, Leimert Park, Culver City, etc. have gentrified in response to the "Manhattan" getting too expensive. It's really tough to make LA / NYC analogies.

Quote:
With the San Gabriel Valley, I've never gotten the impression that many people cared too much about LA "proper" life and celebrity life. It's not their thing. They are suburban people who look for homes and schools in the suburbs. They're looking to shop at Target, department stores, Costco, and eat at Houston's (yum!) or The Cheesecake Factory on a weekend.

When they want to do something fancy or take guests somewhere, they travel to Pasadena. They also like the various inexpensive ethnic food choices in SGV, whether they represent their own ethnic background or not. They might have a work or family connection in LA and wish to live nearby for those reasons, but LA itself as a glamour capital holds no interest for many of them.
Maybe it is because we are in downtown Pasadena (which despite being firmly situated in the SGV, does not totally feel like the rest of the region - partially because it is geographically isolated from the rest by the hills of San Marino) but I actually feel a lot more connected with the rest of LA than the hinterlands of the SGV.

I think in the 1.5 years I have been in Pasadena, other than passing through on the freeways, I have ventured past Route 19 (Rosemead) and into the neighborhoods only once, and that was because I needed to go to Wal Mart for something specific. On the other hand, I go into LA a few times a week, typically the eastern half of the city like DTLA, Hollywood, Echo Park and Mid-City. However, other than Pasadena I think you are correct. The SGV ranges from slightly less urban than the SFV to much less urban than the SFV. Of course, just like the SFV, the SGV seems to be densifying in formerly industrial or low-intensity commercial areas. In 20 years it could look like the SFV of today (hopefully not as much urban decay).

One note - I am not trying to brag about not going into the SGV, because I realize I am f*****g up royally by not visiting the plethora of Asian cuisine cities like Monterey Park, Rosemead, San Gabriel and more have to offer.

Last edited by munchitup; 04-02-2015 at 11:47 AM..

Old 04-02-2015, 01:49 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Maybe it is because we are in downtown Pasadena (which despite being firmly situated in the SGV, does not totally feel like the rest of the region - partially because it is geographically isolated from the rest by the hills of San Marino) but I actually feel a lot more connected with the rest of LA than the hinterlands of the SGV.
Hinterlands? That's quite a term for an area where literally more than a million people call home.

What's with all the vitriol?

Old 04-02-2015, 01:52 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Hinterlands? That's quite a term for an area where literally more than a million people call home.

I know, I laughed when I saw "hinterlands" . Maybe appropriate if you're talking about San Bernardino county

Old 04-02-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post

Sorry I misused the word. I certainly did not mean it as a pejorative.

What vitriol??? I have no negative feelings towards the rest of the SGV, I think it's a very fascinating place. And before that I was defending the SFV as much more than a wasteland for LAs rejects. You won't see me hating on much of Southern CA north of the Orange Curtain.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:00 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
Quote:
Sorry I misused the word. I certainly did not mean it as a pejorative.

What vitriol??? I have no negative feelings towards the rest of the SGV, I think it's a very fascinating place. And before that I was defending the SFV as much more than a wasteland for LAs rejects. You won't see me hating on much of Southern CA north of the Orange Curtain.
Don't know why you would hate on OC compared to places in the IE.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:32 PM

642 posts, read 2,552,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Or my favorites: Where can I find the suburb where the white people live?

Or: Do people self-segregate in LA? I want to live with the rest of the white people.

Here's a whole "white people" thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...community.html
Do people actually ask that?

Old 04-02-2015, 04:34 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
we are in downtown Pasadena (which despite being firmly situated in the SGV, does not totally feel like the rest of the region - partially because it is geographically isolated from the rest by the hills of San Marino)...
The "hills of San Marino"? Where are those?

Old 04-02-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The "hills of San Marino"? Where are those?
Right here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...38f9c8!5m1!1e4

Some of it is in Pasadena city limits. Obviously it's not a technical term, I have no idea what their official title is. But there is a fairly steep incline between South Pas / San Marino and Pasadena. Ever driven up Fair Oaks from South Pas?

I don't have a problem with Pasadena being lumped in with the San Gabriel Valley - it's in the San Gabriel Valley. I was just stating an opinion that it feels a little separated from the rest of the SGV and more connected to outer parts of Northeast LA and the La Crescenta Valley. LA Times agrees: http://maps.latimes.com/neighborhoods/region/verdugos/

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Don't know why you would hate on OC compared to places in the IE.
This is true.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:02 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with Pasadena being lumped in with the San Gabriel Valley - it's in the San Gabriel Valley. I was just stating an opinion that it feels a little separated from the rest of the SGV and more connected to outer parts of Northeast LA and the La Crescenta Valley. LA Times agrees: Verdugos - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times
LA Times might agree, but if you read the comments section, most residents don't.

If you actually wanted to make a "region" separate from the SGV with Pasadena at its center it would be something like: Pasadena, Altadena, La Canada, South Pas, San Marino, Sierra Madre and arguably Arcadia/La Crescenta-Montrose.

The fact that South Pas & Sierra Madre weren't on that "Verdugos" list is criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles