Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:59 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times

Advertisements

Huh? Central Hollywood is definitely more gentrified than the Sunset / Alvarado area of Echo Park...

Sure there are more homeless (barely) but that is mostly because HW is a tourist Mecca. There is so much more investment in Hollywood (Dream Hotel, tons of mixed users, a handful of office towers going up). Demographically, they are about the same.

I guess if you are talking about the area south of Sunset or Santa Monica and/or east of Vine, then yeah they are less gentrified. But there is little reason for them to gentrify IMO, other than the Vermont Corridor with its Red Line access. Honestly though, southern Hollywood seems like it's not too bad and a little more family-friendly, though it is heavily Hispanic and that would obviously make some people uncomfortable.

For reference - I go The Echo / Echoplex 3-4 times a month for work, and used to live in Hollywood on Yucca Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 12:02 PM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 536,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Huh? Central Hollywood is definitely more gentrified than the Sunset / Alvarado area of Echo Park...

Sure there are more homeless (barely) but that is mostly because HW is a tourist Mecca. There is so much more investment in Hollywood (Dream Hotel, tons of mixed users, a handful of office towers going up). Demographically, they are about the same.

I guess if you are talking about the area south of Sunset or Santa Monica and/or east of Vine, then yeah they are less gentrified. But there is little reason for them to gentrify IMO, other than the Vermont Corridor with its Red Line access. Honestly though, southern Hollywood seems like it's not too bad and a little more family-friendly, though it is heavily Hispanic and that would obviously make some people uncomfortable.

For reference - I go The Echo / Echoplex 3-4 times a month for work, and used to live in Hollywood on Yucca Street.
These areas are not comparable, Hollywood is essentially the SoCal version of the Tenderloin. Bums, junkies, gangsters, people with tattoos all over. It didn't seem that Hispanic either besides the face tattoo guys and the Chiva dude, every sketchy person I was white or black.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've wondered about this myself. With rents getting ridiculous in the surrounding neighborhoods I totally expect things to change in Hollywood too. I didn't figure how much homeownership would come into play but that's right, it is mostly older rental buildings. I think it's going to be business that brings change, possibly new studio or office spaces. Slowww going though.
I disagree - It's probably the 2nd most booming part of LA right now (arguable with Santa Monica), as I mentioned in my other post, there are at least five large mixed users being built in prominent locations, I think there are 2-3 high rise towers being built as we speak, and maybe 5 more in the planning phases (I know in LA that means little).

Old 04-01-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
These areas are not comparable, Hollywood is essentially the SoCal version of the Tenderloin. Bums, junkies, gangsters, people with tattoos all over. It didn't seem that Hispanic either besides the face tattoo guys and the Chiva dude, every sketchy person I was white or black.
Maybe you should take a walk down Park Street like I do around 1AM to find my car. It's easily as sketchy as Hollywood, especially because there is 1/5 the amount of people walking around.

I think Skid Row is LA's version of the T-Loin. Hollywood is not comparable at all.

I guess I am pretty hard for being able to survive in Central Hollywood for years.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:29 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Old apts below Sunset are still over $1100 a month for a little studio. Maybe old but not cheap.
To 909er: Have you been downtown lately? DTLA is hot and not just LA Live. LA Live is not the hotspot at night at all. It's the Historic Core and other parts.
My question is what happen to the Valley? Back in the 80s it was much nicer. Now parts look rundown, old with pawnshops, cash for gold spots, thrift shops and endless fast food joints. And I was really shocked at Reseda with abandoned storefronts, passed out alcoholics or homeless lying on the sidewalks. I even saw a man plucking the feathers from a dead pigeon. I was in total shock.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:25 PM

192 posts, read 249,527 times
Quote:
No, I moved here from SF and Hollywood is nowhere near as bad as the Tenderloin in SF. Maybe East Hollywood is comparable, but not Hollywood. The Tenderloin was much dirtier and had way more bums and drug addicts roaming the streets. The bums also seemed to have more mental health issues than anyone I've seen in Hollywood so far.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:29 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
The area around Vermont and 3rd has always had a lot of mentally ill. I think some of the Social Services offices are located in that area.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:36 PM

452 posts, read 619,388 times
Quote:
Not a troll post, I just hate seeing seeing all of these trashy and undesirable people in what should be a pristine area filled with pristine people...it's freakin' Hollywood.
Again, money is made in the Hollywood area, it's not necessarily spent there. And actually Burbank has more entertainment employment than Hollywood but that's another story. Back to Hollywood, you make your money there and drive to your expensive digs closer to the ocean...where it's cooler (pun intended) and safer. If you want to see what people in Hollywood do with their money (I assume you are talking about movie stars, music stars, and entertainment exec's) keep driving west down Sunset, past Laurel Canyon and keep going to the ocean. Then you'll see what you are thinking "Hollywood" should be.

Also keep in mind the rich and famous people you think of, are a large minority. Ever watch the credits of a film? Most of those people are regular employees in the union, making hourly wages, getting paid as extras to stand in, etc. They all live in Hollywood in old apartments paying high rent. I had some Key Grip neighbors, cool ass dudes man. The would work 16 hrs a day for months filming, then take months off. But they were far from loaded.

Quote:
To 909er: Have you been downtown lately?
Admittedly not in a few years. Thanks for the update.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:43 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
He's not a troll. He's just very young and pretty sheltered.

This is the best explanation as to why Echo Park and Hollywood have differed so greatly with regards to redevelopment.
Not so sure about that.

Quote:
I'm sorry you're sad that you live in a ghetto, the LA version of Harlem. It's okay.

Quote:
Why are you so embarrassed? Just drop it instead of saying "everyone don't listen to this meanie poo saying bad things about my area".

Now, run along and go buy some food with your WIC and have a good day
That was in response to someone who says they live in Ladera Heights...

Old 04-01-2015, 01:49 PM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 536,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Not so sure about that.

That was in response to someone who says they live in Ladera Heights...
That's because that person is continually trolling me bro. I think the area is nasty and she (he?) cannot accept that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles