Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 10:57 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
Just curious. I work for a large corp in the Southbay, and some coworkers that reside close to the water like to rag on commuters. I didn't know if there were real area code wars, or just banter.
Ragging on commuters ... They must be really happy with their lives ...

I think a lot of people probably live further out to , live in a safer area , live where schools are better ( aka not lausd) , live somewhere where they can buy ANYTHING.

These days even a tiny tiny place on the west side is insane . Further out areas have also gotten expensive .

I think it's a myth that people live further out because they want a huge house . Maybe that was true in the past but not now .

A couple with two kids aren't going to debate between a 1 bedroom on the west side and a 3 bedroom house further out .

Also even if they bought that 1 bedroom and squeezed in there they know the schools wouldn't be acceptable to them .

Also I'm noticing now that as more people have moved out to those far out places " in the middle of nowhere " they have started getting more interesting businesses .

a fortune could of been made investing in those "inland areas " when the market dropped because they went down a lot more than stuff on the west side or coastal homes .

The people that lost their ass weren't the older couple on the westside that bought their house for 70k it was those that bought with the crappy loans and were just starting their careers when the economy went to hell .

Real estate is cool now again and combined with cheaper gas and more fuel efficient cars I think we will be seeing more people moving out more inland.

Sure people would rather live closer to their work ... If they could afford it and schools were better etc .

If money isn't an issue you can live anywhere and send kids to private school of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 01:44 PM

329 posts, read 627,966 times
Being on the road for 2-4hours per day commuting is just retarded. I like a big house on a yard but it's not worth hidden costs of long commutes. Back in the day traffic wasn't bad so it was ok to commute 50+miles per day but not now. Bad schools you say? Well not everyone going to LAUSD is getting shot nor it's preventing kids from going to college. I've seen plenty of kids at bad schools end up going to college and be successful.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:08 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
Being on the road for 2-4hours per day commuting is just retarded. I like a big house on a yard but it's not worth hidden costs of long commutes. Back in the day traffic wasn't bad so it was ok to commute 50+miles per day but not now. Bad schools you say? Well not everyone going to LAUSD is getting shot nor it's preventing kids from going to college. I've seen plenty of kids at bad schools end up going to college and be successful.
I live a bit inland (SGV foothill area)--I walk to a mile to work. My wife has to commute though, but we both acknowledge a job is not forever. She could very well be working somewhere much closer to home within the next couple of years or even telecommute.

The idea of living close to work tends to apply to renters who can move any time and "lifers" who plan to work at the same company forever. No home owner is going to sell his or her house and buy another one just to be 20 minutes closer to work... not reality. I could be the one commuting and my wife the one walking to work some time down the line... who knows.

I am a product of LAUSD. I hated my K-12 experience as a child. It still pisses me off now that I think about how bad the schools were. I would never want my child to attend a LAUSD school.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:14 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
I consider anyone who thinks that to be stupid.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:16 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Definitely not.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:16 PM

452 posts, read 619,830 times
Seems to be a pretentious attitude of some that think this way. Thanks for the answers

Old 04-06-2015, 05:15 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
Sure not every kid is getting shot, but there are some people that want their kids to have the best possible education and LAUSD is not it.

It's kind of like saying , what's the big deal about living in a high crime ghetto...of course not everyone that lives in a ghetto is going to get shot or end up on crack.

If you have the option to live in a safer/better area most people will.

The main reason that people live further from work is because they can't afford it , at least a decent place to live. The idea that they live far because they are materialistic and would rather live in a 'McMansion" is silly. They are just looking for decent affordable housing.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:49 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Nope... I applaud them for making things a little less crowded for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles