Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 11:24 AM

3,527 posts, read 6,523,226 times

Advertisements

Do you know the old locations of this store? It's currently in Pasadena on Colorado Blvd. near the Denny's. I was told it used to be in a house, on or near Wilson Ave.

Today the store seems so old and musty. What do you expect from a store that has vinyl and cassettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 08:49 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,707 times
Yes, I remember when it was located on Wilson & Walnut circa the very early 1990's. I was a patron and yes, it was wood frame structure that was probably originally a house. It was a pretty small store but had a nice vibe/character. The best independent record store in the LA area in those days (in my view) was Aaron's records which was on Highland near Santa Monica.

I also remember seeing a Flipside records live show in Pasadena around the same time. It was a collection of their early 90's stable of LA bands on the bill (if I recall correctly). Some skinny kid got up between bands and performed a few numbers which were a combo of Woody Guthrie meets rap meets Dino, Jr.. That kid was a "loser" and he would go on to build a large following on the LA club circuit and eventually hit it big a few years later with the "Odelay" album. His name was/is Beck Hansen.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:18 AM

559 posts, read 1,379,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Do you know the old locations of this store? It's currently in Pasadena on Colorado Blvd. near the Denny's. I was told it used to be in a house, on or near Wilson Ave.

Today the store seems so old and musty. What do you expect from a store that has vinyl and cassettes.
If you think the Colorado location is old and musty, you'd need a hazmat suit for the old location. Instead of across from Denny's, I'd like to describe Poo-Bah's as next door to the Colorado, the best dive bar in Pasadena. The old location is now Skein, a yarn store. I'm a bit surprised that a yarn store can make it better than a popular record store (sometimes it was hard to find street parking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Yes, I remember when it was located on Wilson & Walnut circa the very early 1990's. I was a patron and yes, it was wood frame structure that was probably originally a house. It was a pretty small store but had a nice vibe/character. The best independent record store in the LA area in those days (in my view) was Aaron's records which was on Highland near Santa Monica.
Man, we probably rubbed elbows, flipping through the used bins. The ambiance of the place, with its creaking floors, was unbeatable. Couple of the employees looked like they just stepped out of a Freak Brothers comic. Don't want to think about how much coin I dropped in that place.

Aron's was one of the best. Too bad it couldn't withstand the all-consuming Amoeba.

Deceased Pasadena record shops include Moby Disc on Colorado Blvd, just east of Rosemead (near the Big 5); Penny Lane which moved so often that I couldn't keep track (South Lake, Colorado near PCC, Old Town); and Cliff's Books which had a couple bins of vinyl.

The only one left standing is Canterbury Records on Colorado, one block west of Lake. Not sure how they've been able to hang on for decades since the rent's gotta be stiff and I never see that many people in the store. Bungalow News, a great newstand (better than Vroman's) went out of business and it was basically across the street.

The PCC Flea Market had a huge section of used record vendors.

Quote:
I also remember seeing a Flipside records live show in Pasadena around the same time. It was a collection of their early 90's stable of LA bands on the bill (if I recall correctly). Some skinny kid got up between bands and performed a few numbers which were a combo of Woody Guthrie meets rap meets Dino, Jr.. That kid was a "loser" and he would go on to build a large following on the LA club circuit and eventually hit it big a few years later with the "Odelay" album. His name was/is Beck Hansen.
Where was this show? The only appropriate Pasadena venue that I can think of is Perkins Palace (now a mixed-use condo development), but they shut down in the early 90's.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:37 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
The only one left standing is Canterbury Records on Colorado, one block west of Lake. Not sure how they've been able to hang on for decades since the rent's gotta be stiff and...
It's amazing to think they've survived for so long (opened in 1956). If you click on their home page, you can watch a video clip of one of their "Record Store Days"....they must have quite a following.
Canterbury Records, Our Company

Old 01-01-2015, 09:24 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post

Where was this show? The only appropriate Pasadena venue that I can think of is Perkins Palace (now a mixed-use condo development), but they shut down in the early 90's.
It was at Toe's Tavern of all places. I also went to some shows at Perkins Palace. That place hosted some great shows during its heyday....Black Flag, REM, Talking Heads, The Ramones to name a few.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:28 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It's amazing to think they've survived for so long (opened in 1956). If you click on their home page, you can watch a video clip of one of their "Record Store Days"....they must have quite a following.
Canterbury is really disappointing, I rarely go even though I do buy vinyl and it is like 6 blocks from my house. The Poo Bah Records location to the east (mentioned in the OP) has a much better selection, especially for used vinyl.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:

Awesome story.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:33 AM

559 posts, read 1,379,080 times
Quote:
Maybe they do make most of their money online or special events but I still don't get how they survive with so little foot traffic in-store while sitting near what must be one of the most expensive intersections (Lake & Colorado) in Pasadena. I've long been suspicious that the place is a front (FSB, Illuminati, extraterrestials)?

Quote:
It was at Toe's Tavern of all places. I also went to some shows at Perkins Palace. That place hosted some great shows during its heyday....Black Flag, REM, Talking Heads, The Ramones to name a few.
I thought about listing Toe's or the E-Bar but thought, "nah, too small for a Flipside show." I actually saw a lot of bands at Toe's, mostly local bands but also Dick Dale. Dave Wakeling used to play there a lot. Morrissey hung there for a while. $1 double feature at the Academy followed by a stop at Toe's could be a version of heaven.

When Toe's died, it became a banda bar until it was reborn as T. Boyle's.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:10 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Poo-bah is participating in Record Store Day on April 18. (Dave Grohl is this year's official ambassador of this event, which is a global celebration of independent record stores.)
http://www.recordstoreday.com/Venue/7672

Old 04-13-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Poo-bah is participating in Record Store Day on April 18. (Dave Grohl is this year's official ambassador of this event, which is a global celebration of independent record stores.)
http://www.recordstoreday.com/Venue/7672
It's too bad the corporate major label industry has taken over RSD. While there are a handful of cool limited edition releases, there is such of flood of cr*p that it is almost impossible to sift through and find the good stuff - most record stores still have a ton of old RSD releases laying around the store which they sell for almost nothing - I mean, who wants a limited edition Linkin Park graphic LP?

Plus little stores like Poo Bah get the shaft when it comes to the really cool stuff. Amoeba will get the vast majority of the cool stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles