Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 05:06 PM

16 posts, read 32,184 times

Advertisements

I see no one ever talk about this and never see anything on the news. I heard that within 5-10 years the majority of traffic routes will be in permanent gridlock 24/7. Increasing amount of apartment complexes, more people, more cars, but no solution or plan to what to do about these freeways.

I'm not from the West Coast but the first thing I noticed was how god-awful public transportation was. The buses are almost always late, and when you try to figure out the schedule, MBTA doesn't even know where their own buses are.

I tried to be "Green" and stay off the highway but I live 8 minutes away from work. It's $1.75 both to and from work so it's still cheaper for me gas-wise to drive.

What are people's thoughts on this? Does anyone even care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 05:46 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klarion View Post
I see no one ever talk about this and never see anything on the news. I heard that within 5-10 years the majority of traffic routes will be in permanent gridlock 24/7.
Why would the news report on stuff that's made up and stupid?

Old 04-09-2015, 08:31 PM

490 posts, read 660,111 times
Why worry about something you have almost zero control over?

Old 04-09-2015, 08:45 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,080 times
If traffic ever did get that bad, people would change their behavior. If biking were faster than driving, people would bike. If walking was faster than driving, people would walk.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:08 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
They said the same 5-10 years ago

Old 04-10-2015, 02:54 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
When gas went over $4 a gallon for an extended time, the traffic lessened and the subways and rails got crowded. Some areas of LA are bad enough that people are basically forced to use rail lines or adjust working areas.

It's really only a matter of time before the diehard "leave me alone in my car" folks capitulate. 90 minutes each way to work becomes more than one can take.

Hopefully future rail plans include a line that loops the SFV, as well as one going down the 405, one going along the 110 and connecting the green, expo, and blue lines.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:15 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Traffic is bound to increase, especially with all the people that continue to move here. That's not news.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:45 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klarion View Post
I see no one ever talk about this and never see anything on the news. I heard that within 5-10 years the majority of traffic routes will be in permanent gridlock 24/7. Increasing amount of apartment complexes, more people, more cars, but no solution or plan to what to do about these freeways.

I'm not from the West Coast but the first thing I noticed was how god-awful public transportation was. The buses are almost always late, and when you try to figure out the schedule, MBTA doesn't even know where their own buses are.

I tried to be "Green" and stay off the highway but I live 8 minutes away from work. It's $1.75 both to and from work so it's still cheaper for me gas-wise to drive.

What are people's thoughts on this? Does anyone even care?
Are you from Boston? It's called Metro here and not MBTA.

And I can tell you the bus system in Los Angeles is 100x better than the system in Boston.

I am calling BS on this statement:

Quote:
within 5-10 years the majority of traffic routes will be in permanent gridlock 24/7
I drove from Echo Park to Pasadena in about 15 minutes last night at midnight. In five years that will be permanent gridlock. LOL.

And actually something has been done to mitigate traffic, and that is improving the transit system. While these new rail lines are awesome, I think the biggest thing Metro can do to improve mobility is to create bus only lanes on Venice, Pico, Olympic, Wilshire (which is happening), 3rd, Santa Monica, Sunset, Hollywood, Grand, Broadway, Vermont, Western, La Brea, Fairfax, La Cienega - and any other major bus corridors I forgot. Make the frequencies on these lines be around 5 minutes at rush hour, and without any traffic to block the lanes they would operate as fast or faster than LRT.

People are moving to Los Angeles whether we like it or not. I hear people complain about building more apartments, but what do they suggest we do? Put up a wall around Southern California and keep people from moving in? People are not coming because we are building excess apartments, we are barely keeping up with demand for housing as it is.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:49 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Well, if a big earthquake hits suddenly people won't be moving to LA. Let's hope it happens soon.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:55 AM

452 posts, read 619,734 times
I think they say that every 10 years or so. There are more carpools today, and the soon to be coming self driving cars can fix a lot of gridlock by better driving abilities, like not slamming on brakes and all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles