Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 01:43 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,845,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
BTW, does anybody else think it's silly having Q's and two other bars all adjacent to each other, at Wilshire and Westgate? I understand capturing market share and it's the same reason more than one gas station can at times be found at an intersection, but still, three bars in a row?
It's good for pub crawling. Don't have to go very far.

The best nights out in my opinion are in parts of the city where bars are close together. Pasadena, DTLA, Santa Monica etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 01:46 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,845,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
The nightlife that would fit into the Palisades is a restaurant with a full bar that would close at 10 pm on weekdays, 11 pm on weekends

There's very little demand there for late night nightlife.

The only late night drinkers there are usually underage high school kids.

A few younger professionals live in apartments off Sunset, but they usually go to santa monica to party, and don't mind doing so.

There's also one bar in the palisades/santa monica border - the shore.
I'd like to see your survey data.

Like its been pointed out, it's illegal for bars to do business in the Palisades.

More to the point, though. Our restrictive bar licensing laws really put the kibosh on this whole eat and drink local thing, don't they?

Old 04-11-2015, 02:04 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,760,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I'd like to see your survey data.

Like its been pointed out, it's illegal for bars to do business in the Palisades.

More to the point, though. Our restrictive bar licensing laws really put the kibosh on this whole eat and drink local thing, don't they?
I'll drink to that....

Old 04-11-2015, 12:05 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,307,196 times
This reminds me of something I read recently about Portland as I am going to be visiting soon and going to the bars is something I plan on doing . Apparently all the bars have to serve some kind of food .
-------
"The bars are all restaurants

The bars here are required to sell a certain amount of food so there’s a really fuzzy line between bars and restaurants. The bars all have lunch and dinner menus and a lot of restaurants have pretty nice bars. Most bars stick with the basic pub food but a number of places are differentiating themselves by having more creative and interesting menus.

On our first visit to Portland a couple years ago Jojo surprised us by taking us to a bar for lunch. We’ve since discovered that this is not at all uncommon, and that going out for drinks here often involves getting food as well."
Link Drinking in Portland *|* Cocktailia
---
This sounds kind of similar to what currently exists in the palisades or Brentwood .

I think it's hypocritical and a bit backwards to say " you can serve liquor at a fancy Italian place but you can't have a place where someone can sit and just get liquor " Are the martinis served at the upscale Italian place less potent than those served in a "bar"

with our high unemployment rate I say we make it easier to let businesses open,not harder .

The next big thing that has the potential to impact business and make service worse in LA is if/ when they hike the min wage up to $15 an hour or whatever they are proposing .

Tony Yanow of golden road brewery , Tony's darts away and Mohawk bend is already diversifying into Orange County because of this . He has a huge brewery in Atwater village area but is now opening a big place in Orange county . There was an article about this where he specifically said he was worried about how a min wage hike would affect business .

I think more entrepreneurs will look to Orange County or the South Bay cities to operate , long beach will also likely benefit too .

Old 04-11-2015, 04:19 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,363,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
The nightlife that would fit into the Palisades is a restaurant with a full bar that would close at 10 pm on weekdays, 11 pm on weekends

There's very little demand there for late night nightlife.

The only late night drinkers there are usually underage high school kids.

A few younger professionals live in apartments off Sunset, but they usually go to santa monica to party, and don't mind doing so.

There's also one bar in the palisades/santa monica border - the shore.
In contrast, Hollywood/Weho/DTLA/Old Town have an inordinate amount of bars and clubs catering to residents throughout the entire metro region, not just folks from around the block. They cater to tourists too. There's a reason why Hollywood has more nightlife than Chatsworth, and if someone needs an explanation as to why, they're beyond hope.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:46 PM

13,572 posts, read 15,510,252 times
I don't get the obsession some people have with bars. Every time I pass by a bar, I see people sitting gape-mouthed, staring at a large screen television and watching a sports game. Can't they do that in somebody's home? I can only figure it's a matter of being someplace where it's considered fashionable to be, whilst the herd mentality dictates, "Yep, I'm a part of something important, lest there wouldn't be so many others here as well."

Old 04-11-2015, 06:04 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,481,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I don't get the obsession some people have with bars. Every time I pass by a bar, I see people sitting gape-mouthed, staring at a large screen television and watching a sports game. Can't they do that in somebody's home? I can only figure it's a matter of being someplace where it's considered fashionable to be, whilst the herd mentality dictates, "Yep, I'm a part of something important, lest there wouldn't be so many others here as well."
A bar without a TV would probably do good business, from people who don't like TVs in bars, as almost no one is filling this niche in Greater Los Angeles. (Only Musso and Frank, to my knowledge.) Whoever decided to do this would have a niche all to themselves.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:30 AM

361 posts, read 833,903 times
The nightlife sucks in LA and California, the east coast is better if you like that ... 2am last call is just ridiculous, they ban alcohol after 2 but you can still buy pot.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:01 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,266,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
The nightlife sucks in LA and California, the east coast is better if you like that ... 2am last call is just ridiculous, they ban alcohol after 2 but you can still buy pot.
2 am is more than reasonable. If the bars were open all night, how would anyone function the next day? What time would people go out? 2 am forces even late night people to go out around 11 pm or midnight at the very latest.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:30 PM

13,572 posts, read 15,510,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
Are you employed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles