Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 08:46 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
I honestly have no idea what point you are trying to make. Los Angeles has hospitals, cops, security guards, 24 hour services which means there are people working all kinds of shifts.

Bottom line is we are the second largest city in the country and a later last call could certainly work here. I see no reason not to try it and think it is dumb we don't have it.
Most of these people aren't going to go party in the middle of the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 08:51 PM

361 posts, read 837,286 times
I don't understand your point for the office hours ...
These people don't work on weekend, right ?
What's the problem with going out until 4am on a friday or saturday night ?
And yes you can work all day on friday, end your dinner at 9 and go out until 5am without doing a nap, I did it for like 5 years in Europe ...
Looks like California is so laid back that people have no energy there
No we don't want to turn LA to a party destination like Vegas but what about NYC, London or any other large alpha cities in the world ?
LA will never compete with them with that last call, that's it

Old 04-12-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
I don't understand your point for the office hours ...
These people don't work on weekend, right ?
What's the problem with going out until 4am on a friday or saturday night ?
And yes you can work all day on friday, end your dinner at 9 and go out until 5am without doing a nap, I did it for like 5 years in Europe ...
Looks like California is so laid back that people have no energy there
No we don't want to turn LA to a party destination like Vegas but what about NYC, London or any other large alpha cities in the world ?
LA will never compete with them with that last call, that's it
People have a different mentality in those cities. They can somehow work long hours, party extremely hard, not sleep, and function just fine. Maybe something in the air here.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:21 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
I honestly have no idea what point you are trying to make. Los Angeles has hospitals, cops, security guards, 24 hour services which means there are people working all kinds of shifts.

Bottom line is we are the second largest city in the country and a later last call could certainly work here. I see no reason not to try it and think it is dumb we don't have it.
We often disagree here, but on this we agree completely.

There are people in L.A. who work many different shifts - including on the west side.

There would be a demand for bars open later if it was allowed.

Disgruntled doesn't recognize that the status quo in L.A. is the direct product of the laws. If California had drinking laws like Nevada or Florida, and Los Angeles' ordinances were not more draconian than even the state regulations the situation would be more like those states - even on the west side.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:53 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
We often disagree here, but on this we agree completely.

There are people in L.A. who work many different shifts - including on the west side.

There would be a demand for bars open later if it was allowed.

Disgruntled doesn't recognize that the status quo in L.A. is the direct product of the laws. If California had drinking laws like Nevada or Florida, and Los Angeles' ordinances were not more draconian than even the state regulations the situation would be more like those states - even on the west side.
Yes, agreed.

And although I don't always agree with your characterizations about how the city of LA is run: I agree with the general gist of this thread. It is very dumb to make it even harder to open a bar in LA where it is notoriously difficult and time consuming to do so.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:03 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
What do people typically do in bars after 1 AM? If they've been drinking for hours, darts is probably out of the question.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
What do people typically do in bars after 1 AM? If they've been drinking for hours, darts is probably out of the question.
Fall on the floor, order that one (or three) drinks they shouldn't, get kicked out, start a fight, go home with someone they'll later regret, the list goes on.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:45 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Fall on the floor, order that one (or three) drinks they shouldn't, get kicked out, start a fight, go home with someone they'll later regret, the list goes on.
That's what I imagined. But alas, I suppose since we're "sheltered" for living on the Westside, we really ought to get out and live a little more -- this coming weekend I'll strive to lose at least one tooth and/or get a broken nose, pick up an STD or two, et al.

'Murika...

Old 04-13-2015, 12:47 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
People have a different mentality in those cities. They can somehow work long hours, party extremely hard, not sleep, and function just fine. Maybe something in the air here.
Yeah, something in the air. They're magic people, I tell ya.

They're allowed to party longer because they have a later last call. That's it.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
That's what I imagined. But alas, I suppose since we're "sheltered" for living on the Westside, we really ought to get out and live a little more -- this coming weekend I'll strive to lose at least one tooth and/or get a broken nose, pick up an STD or two, et al.

'Murika...
Certain posters need to tone down on the personal attacks.

The nature of this forum involves regular posters giving some intimate details about themselves to comment on topics of interest. I.e., if you live in Brentwood, you're gonna say you're from Brentwood so you can post about living in Brentwood. Or if you work in a certain industry, you can give some insight into it.

But then other posters use your old posts from years back on completely unrelated topics to attack you on every topic imaginable.

Of course, one of the posters who uses personal attacks the most has hidden his post history. No surprise. I just wish I was savvy (or jaded) enough to do so way before. I only didn't because I didn't realize some posters took the forum so seriously.

Let's stick to the topic. Exitus and I don't believe in bars being open past 2 am in LA. Yes, we both live/have lived in the Westside. No, it has nothing to do with our opinions. It's completely irrelevant. Anyone can criticize our opinion, but there's no need to draw in who we are or what you think we are. Enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles