Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 01:44 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,411 times

Advertisements

*Angeleno
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 09:13 AM

490 posts, read 660,111 times
Painfully Cold

Old 04-12-2015, 12:09 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
All the best city festivals and events are usually from May - October, so those are the best times to go.

I like humidity, so the rather in Chicago works for me.

If you hate humidity then you have very few options in the US outside of LA, so then yes, those would be the best times for you to visit the city.

I'm surprised Munchitup that you like the weather in Ocotober. It's not too chilly for you?
nope, I spent a few years in Boston so it was a little nostalgic.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:03 PM

302 posts, read 452,974 times
Chicago would be perfect, if it weren't for the weather. Love the layout, people the passion for sports but I cannot stand the weather outside of 3 months.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:18 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,582 times
Went there once as a kid. Was treated rudely by the locals. Would never go back.
WHen I think of CHicago nowadays, I think of terrible weather, and alot of black on black murder and just a lot of high crime in general. Essentially, a smaller NYC. A bit of a gulible city that still attends CUBS games even tho they havent won a world series in over 100 years. Wouldn't move there ever and have zero interest of really even visiting again. What would be the point? Tall buildings?

Last edited by jacktravern; 04-15-2015 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-15-2015, 06:19 AM

280 posts, read 325,787 times
I'm a SO CA Native and live outside of Chicago now - I LOVE Chicago from May through mid October too. I'm going next weekend to see a show and the weather will be in the lower 60's, but in Chicago, that could be chilly with the wind. People aren't any more rude than anywhere else in the world, and in fact are WAY nicer the NY'ers and Parisians (worst of anyplace I've ever been). I've never been treated badly by anyone in Chicago. Drivers don't look out for pedestrians though, so you have to watch out......

Last edited by tcmtcm; 04-15-2015 at 07:00 AM..

Old 04-16-2015, 04:45 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
I'm a Chicagoan so I'd like to share some of my observations…

LOS ANGELES: If the question had been put on the New York forum (What do New Yorkers think of Chicago), my sense would have been mostly degrading responses that would indicate that Chicago is an after thought compared to The World's Greatest City. The LA response: pretty much the opposite. Why? LA is a truly great city and, I believe, sure of itself and what it is and what it has to offer that it doesn't have to put down other places, can enjoy them for what they are without feeling the least bit threatened by it.

for me, one of the most telling things about LA is its lack of an NFL franchise. Why? I don't think any American city would go so long without one because that very franchise would have been a necessity for city pride and image. Yet LA refreshingly, IMHO, is so sure of itself, so aware of its own greatness, that it didn't need an NFL franchise to feel good about itself. Personally I think NYC would never have gone that long without an NFL team, that its image of itself would have been threatened by the lack of one. I absolutely love LA's the-NFL-needs-us-alot-more-than-we-need-the-NFL attitude.

CHICAGO: weather/climate is how we perceive it is and how it affects us is an opinion, so what i share here is just my assessment: Chicago's climate is not that extreme, not nearly as bad as so many people think. Yes, the last two winters have been hell, but, then again, they have throughout the eastern portion of the US. most of our winters are most survivable and can even be pleasant. it is rare for us to be buried in snow. and there are plenty of days with very moderate temperatures where nothing is keeping us indoors.

sure our summers can be hot, but much of the time they can actually be quite enjoyable. we do not suffer the incredibly oppressive hot/humid summers that one would experience in St. Louis, DC, Houston, or New Orleans. A typical summer can have quite a few cool days.

I think the degree of difference between our climate and that of east coast cities like Boston, New York, and Philly gets quite overplayed….we really are fairly similar to them.

that said, I fully realize that the climate/weather in places like LA or SF run rings around Chicago's. Then again, no place in the US (Hawaii excluded?) has the most consistently great climate as coastal California.

Last edited by edsg25; 04-16-2015 at 05:16 AM..

Old 04-16-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
CHICAGO: weather/climate is how we perceive it is and how it affects us is an opinion, so what i share here is just my assessment: Chicago's climate is not that extreme, not nearly as bad as so many people think. Yes, the last two winters have been hell, but, then again, they have throughout the eastern portion of the US. most of our winters are most survivable and can even be pleasant. it is rare for us to be buried in snow. and there are plenty of days with very moderate temperatures where nothing is keeping us indoors.
Dude we are such wimps. It feels extreme to us!

It does not take long for cold-weather toughness to wear off either - I was totally used to cold weather after living in Boston for a few years, by my first winter back in CA I would look epileptic walking down the street in 50 degree weather because I was shivering so much.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:47 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I'm a Chicagoan so I'd like to share some of my observations…

LOS ANGELES:
for me, one of the most telling things about LA is its lack of an NFL franchise. Why? I don't think any American city would go so long without one because that very franchise would have been a necessity for city pride and image. Yet LA refreshingly, IMHO, is so sure of itself, so aware of its own greatness, that it didn't need an NFL franchise to feel good about itself. Personally I think NYC would never have gone that long without an NFL team, .
NYC has no NFL team. Last I check, both the Jets and Giants play in the state of New Jersey

Old 04-17-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
NYC has no NFL team. Last I check, both the Jets and Giants play in the state of New Jersey
They have a NYC name and NYers make up their fan base - they are a NYC team. If a team played at the Rose Bowl would they not be a Los Angeles team? Even though the city limits are like a mile away?

I do think I disagree with that poster, I think NYC would be able to cope without a team like LA does. Everyone other city though, yeah they would freak out. I do think that tide is starting to turn as cities realize the NFL is not exactly a great commodity and doesn't help out the economy as much as previously thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles