Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 02:57 PM

493 posts, read 514,762 times

Advertisements

For downtown L.A.'s pedestrians, citations send a 'don't walk' signal - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 03:06 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,197 times
I could not access the link (my 5 LA Times articles for the month are up). That said, yes, the police are very aggressive in downtown with jaywalking. Recently I saw a couple getting a jaywalking ticket near Hill/6th at 10pm on a slow weeknight. Well, not sure they were getting a ticket or just a warning. I would hope just a warning. There were hardly any cars around.

I would not call it discrimination though. I was ticketed for a minor traffic violation in downtown last year. It was so minor I had no idea I was even breaking the law (really pissed me off). You can't turn left onto certain streets after 4pm on weekdays or something like that.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:09 PM

7 posts, read 10,203 times
I don't think pedestrians are discriminated against. I have had stupid drivers in front of my slam on the brakes to let some idiot crossing in the middle (no crosswalk) of a busy street - think rush hour - and I have almost hit the car in front of me and other people have nearly rearended me because of it. Also, am I the only one to notice the number of hit and runs in this city. Some "are" in crosswalks, most are not.

How about the guy who let his two dogs step off the curb into on coming traffic behind some cars where no one could see him or the dogs. He actually yelled at me, I replied - he had some responsibility for his and his dogs own safety and he should make sure he's seen before he just steps into the middle of street - crosswalk or no.

If/when you are a pedestrian in any city, YOU are responsible for your safety. Drivers do keep an eye out but they are watching 15 different things - remember that the next time you step off the curb.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:31 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,789 times
If we all could just make the world be just as we want it, there would be certain chaos, then anarchy. But since we are pretending to be mature adults, let's assume that the people who create sensible traffic laws and safety regulations are also grown up and have the interests of the general public in mind as they go about their jobs. And maybe the red hand is trying to prevent an accident or worse us getting run over by careless right turners fiddling with all the new electronics on modern cars, not to mention smart phones, and are oblivious to crossing pedestrians. (How dare they!) Can we all just instead, look out for other people?

Old 04-13-2015, 02:37 PM

231 posts, read 402,024 times
Why don't you get a car? I live in NYC always have and I have a car. I don't get the appeal of not having one unless it's an affordability thing. Not having a car puts you at the mercy of transportation schedules, leaves you to brave the elements, and is very inconvenient for shopping and causes you to needlessly spend more because you can't buy in bulk because you can't carry it home

Old 04-13-2015, 02:51 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Boo hoo

Old 04-13-2015, 07:43 PM

493 posts, read 514,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslandJake1995 View Post
Why don't you get a car? I live in NYC always have and I have a car. I don't get the appeal of not having one unless it's an affordability thing. Not having a car puts you at the mercy of transportation schedules, leaves you to brave the elements, and is very inconvenient for shopping and causes you to needlessly spend more because you can't buy in bulk because you can't carry it home
You live in NYC? Obviously in Staten Island a car is more useful, but if you lived in Manhattan I'm sure you would have have a different mindset. You may save money buying wholesale, but you are instead paying for car insurance, regular maintenance, and fuel. And those are just the basics.

This is 2015. Shopping that isn't grocery shopping can easily be done online - and bulky items can be delivered right to your door. People without cars grocery shop with their own personal carts that they take home to handle lots of items.

You may not understand other people's choices, but they should be respected. And non-drivers aren't hurting you. Quite the contrary - they are keeping you safer! People who can not or choose not to drive should have the same chance at living a high quality of life as drivers do.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:44 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times
I fail to understand why it is discriminatory. A rolling stop in a vehicle can run over $500. It seem the city indiscriminately fine everyone .

Apparently some feel that jaywalking and hork-honking cabbies are part of their culture, "This isn't NY"

Rage as cops slap 452 with jaywalking tickets

Old 04-14-2015, 07:15 AM

231 posts, read 402,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
You live in NYC? Obviously in Staten Island a car is more useful, but if you lived in Manhattan I'm sure you would have have a different mindset. You may save money buying wholesale, but you are instead paying for car insurance, regular maintenance, and fuel. And those are just the basics.

This is 2015. Shopping that isn't grocery shopping can easily be done online - and bulky items can be delivered right to your door. People without cars grocery shop with their own personal carts that they take home to handle lots of items.

You may not understand other people's choices, but they should be respected. And non-drivers aren't hurting you. Quite the contrary - they are keeping you safer! People who can not or choose not to drive should have the same chance at living a high quality of life as drivers do.
And my parents grew up in Carroll Gardens in DT Brooklyn and Manhattan respectively and they both drive. Besides commuting to work most people here at least aspire to car ownership if they can afford it, if I lived in Manhattan, I wouldn't want to be beholden to transit schedules or weather.

And no, they shouldn't have the same quality of life. They are choosing to put their life and time into a transit agencies hand instead of taking personal responsibility and joining the world. That's like saying people who don't wear shoes deserve the same comfort as those who do

Old 04-14-2015, 10:30 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
I think the fines are excessive, though I get why they give them downtown.

I'll admit, I drive downtown sometimes. And if people are crossing the street after the countdown finishes, it makes turning right nearly impossible and is actually more dangerous for pedestrians because right now, drivers assume that no one will cross when the blinking hand is up. If you decide to cross at the perfect moment a driver turns without looking, bam.

Almost anywhere else in the city, I don't see the big deal of crossing when the hand blinks. But downtown traffic flow hinges on pedestrians being clear for a few seconds so right turns can happen.

But again, I think they should significantly decrease the fines, and maybe make up the revenue by trying to give more tickets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: