Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 03:18 PM

329 posts, read 627,807 times

Advertisements

I don't like to live here but no choice for now. Best weather? Ha not when it's sunny/hot for months on end. Don't even get me started on traffic. Too many damn people and infrastructure wasn't made for this. Also many times I go for a leisurely drive around LA I end up more stressed out because I hit more bad traffic than I do commuting. Many times I tried to go to walmart in LA even on a weekend which is about 5 miles away but it was faster to go to the one 25 miles away. Only in LA

LA is great if you don't have to commute and got lot of $$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 03:34 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
I don't like to live here but no choice for now. Best weather? Ha not when it's sunny/hot for months on end. Don't even get me started on traffic. Too many damn people and infrastructure wasn't made for this. Also many times I go for a leisurely drive around LA I end up more stressed out because I hit more bad traffic than I do commuting. Many times I tried to go to walmart in LA even on a weekend which is about 5 miles away but it was faster to go to the one 25 miles away. Only in LA

LA is great if you don't have to commute and got lot of $$
I don't like cold, humidity or rain. So, the weather is great for me.

And you go for leisurely drives around LA?

Old 04-13-2015, 03:48 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,233 times
I don't ever recall of trying to take a leisurely drive lol. That was way too hard.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:13 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf1 View Post
Been here 35 years.
LA has gone from one of the best places to live ......... Downhill.
It must have been really awesome when Los Angeles was the murder capitol of America.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:15 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
I love living here. I've been here 5 years from Seattle and before that DC. This is my favorite. So much to see. Endless stuff to do. Beautiful plants, trees and flowers. It's such a unique city especially from the cities I lived in. As far as being expensive, I don't find it any more expensive than the two cities I came from especially DC. As far as the weather I find it absolutely amazing. I also learned it really is not the same year around. Winter is my favorite. It's by no means a perfect city but I love it. All this glitz and glamour, stuck up plastic talk is so ridiculous. But people who think they know LA continue to post that crap.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:45 PM

471 posts, read 600,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I love living here. I've been here 5 years from Seattle and before that DC. This is my favorite. So much to see. Endless stuff to do. Beautiful plants, trees and flowers. It's such a unique city especially from the cities I lived in. As far as being expensive, I don't find it any more expensive than the two cities I came from especially DC. As far as the weather I find it absolutely amazing. I also learned it really is not the same year around. Winter is my favorite. It's by no means a perfect city but I love it. All this glitz and glamour, stuck up plastic talk is so ridiculous. But people who think they know LA continue to post that crap.
You are so correct, it is a fantastic place to live. I've spent a lot of time in DC and LA is a better value in my mind. Much higher quality of life, better food at a better price, and wonderful weather.

People are definitely not more stuck up than Seattle or DC or other places I've been.

In fact, I've found people to be friendly here. I think it is based on perspective.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:46 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,194 times
There are many things I don't like but many things I love. I moved here 10 years ago from Boston. Lived in Boston for first 30 years of my life and lived in Bay Area and D.C. area for a year each. So I guess I'm used to the hustle and bustle aspect because I have never really known anything else. Weather's great, food's great, access to culture etc etc. I also enjoy the outdoors. I'm a cyclist, hiker, camper etc and and able to do that stuff year round. While I love the woods/nature back in New England, the outdoors in Southern California are certainly as good if not better. I would love to move to a less congested, small town type of place but I also enjoy having a job.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I was unable to cut my costs anymore than I already had. A better job was part of the reason I was hustling, I simply was not able to get a better job.

My situation was not cut and dry. I certainly did try as hard as I could, but I just couldn't make it happen. I did however return back to college and the degree did lead to a better job in which I am employed in. But, I just could not do it in Los Angeles.

Well there you go, congrats on getting your degree but don't blame LA because you moved to one of the more expensive cities with no skill set and no formal education.

Than had a tough time.

Kind of like buying house by JFK airport and than complaining about plane noise.

You went back to college, which resulted in a better job, great, but if you had come to LA with that degree your experience would be completely different.

The same thing could have happened in Chicago or Seattle.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:53 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well there you go, congrats on getting your degree but don't blame LA because you moved to one of the more expensive cities with no skill set and no formal education.

Than had a tough time.

Kind of like buying house by JFK airport and than complaining about plane noise.

You went back to college, which resulted in a better job, great, but if you had come to LA with that degree your experience would be completely different.

The same thing could have happened in Chicago or Seattle.
Actually, I already had a BA and Master's while living there. I just lacked the experience to get a job in such a competitive market. I knew several educated people that were unable to secure work as well. I returned back to college to earn another Master's degree and that finally resulted in a job elsewhere.

I just was not prepared for what the city was actually like. It was a mistake on my part for sure.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:38 PM

850 posts, read 796,254 times
Good luck with all the water problems LA, looks like you will be dealing with this for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles