Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 02:11 PM

165 posts, read 146,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Your entire post was great. I'm just gonna respond to these two paragraphs.

What states/metros have you looked for jobs in? I'm surprised at the lack of job options for someone that's worked that long in LAUSD.
I felt the same way, too, when I first started my job search in 2012. I thought my experience would count for something, especially since LAUSD is the second largest public school district in the country. What I've learned is that because I'm a white lady who doesn't speak Spanish, all my experience with LAUSD really doesn't matter when looking for work in other parts of CA or other states. Due to affirmative action, most public school districts in CA and other states want to hire non-white people first. If I was Latino, black, Asian or another ethnicity, I'd have greater luck in the educational job market. Without that, I should at least have another marketable skill, like the ability to speak another language. Since I don't have that either, the job search is even more difficult.

I've looked at lots of different areas in CA where cost of living is more affordable - Riverside, inland empire, Fresno, central CA, etc. But as I wrote above, I'm not first on their school districts' "must hire" list. My experience also means I'm at the higher end of the salary table, and I'm guessing most other school districts in CA would prefer to hire someone a little lower on the totem pole, so to speak, that doesn't cost them so much money in salary.

I've also looked for work in a few other states - Oregon, Washington, Colorado, New Mexico (all because they have places I was potentially interested in making my new home), but found the job markets there very slim and not receptive at all to hiring someone from out of state. If I lived there, things might be different, but I can't afford to move without landing a job first (I'm single income, self-supported, so no other income to rely on if I move and can't find a job right away), and if I can't find a school district in another state that's receptive to hiring someone from out of state, that doesn't help me land a job.

Over the years, I've met a few people online from SoCal and other states who have moved to Las Vegas and seem to be having some job/life success there (affordable cost of living, fairly good job market). Vegas really isn't on top of my list for cities where I'd want to live and try to make a life for myself, but I've been considering it off and on for the past year because of the positive things I've heard about the job market in education and cost of living. I'm doing some research on Vegas again, but I'm still not sure if it's the right place for me. It may become so simply out of desperation to get out of my situation in SoCal, but I don't really want to make a permanent home somewhere else simply out of desperation. I've got some thinking to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 04:24 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,127,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittle_star View Post
I felt the same way, too, when I first started my job search in 2012. I thought my experience would count for something, especially since LAUSD is the second largest public school district in the country. What I've learned is that because I'm a white lady who doesn't speak Spanish, all my experience with LAUSD really doesn't matter when looking for work in other parts of CA or other states. Due to affirmative action, most public school districts in CA and other states want to hire non-white people first. If I was Latino, black, Asian or another ethnicity, I'd have greater luck in the educational job market. Without that, I should at least have another marketable skill, like the ability to speak another language. Since I don't have that either, the job search is even more difficult.

I've looked at lots of different areas in CA where cost of living is more affordable - Riverside, inland empire, Fresno, central CA, etc. But as I wrote above, I'm not first on their school districts' "must hire" list. My experience also means I'm at the higher end of the salary table, and I'm guessing most other school districts in CA would prefer to hire someone a little lower on the totem pole, so to speak, that doesn't cost them so much money in salary.

I've also looked for work in a few other states - Oregon, Washington, Colorado, New Mexico (all because they have places I was potentially interested in making my new home), but found the job markets there very slim and not receptive at all to hiring someone from out of state. If I lived there, things might be different, but I can't afford to move without landing a job first (I'm single income, self-supported, so no other income to rely on if I move and can't find a job right away), and if I can't find a school district in another state that's receptive to hiring someone from out of state, that doesn't help me land a job.

Over the years, I've met a few people online from SoCal and other states who have moved to Las Vegas and seem to be having some job/life success there (affordable cost of living, fairly good job market). Vegas really isn't on top of my list for cities where I'd want to live and try to make a life for myself, but I've been considering it off and on for the past year because of the positive things I've heard about the job market in education and cost of living. I'm doing some research on Vegas again, but I'm still not sure if it's the right place for me. It may become so simply out of desperation to get out of my situation in SoCal, but I don't really want to make a permanent home somewhere else simply out of desperation. I've got some thinking to do.

Maybe try Reno... that's also in Nevada.

My nephew wants to be a cop but can't get hired anywhere because of affirmative action too. Talk about racists against whites.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:04 PM

508 posts, read 607,957 times
I loved Los Angeles for the time that I was there. However, the time came and I needed to make a decision. Do I stay in Los Angeles just because it's supposedly more convenient or do I move to the Inland Empire where it’s cheaper? I chose the Inland Empire. Whether I was coming from North Hollywood or Ontario, the time, due to traffic, was going to be around the same.

My wife and I own a PR firm and I also do Music Production, so I'm sure my experience may not suit everyone. But I will say that rents are rising everywhere. When I left Alabama (Birmingham), the newer apartments were running at least $2,000 per month. When I moved here in 2016, I was fortunate to have a plan in place. Moving here without a plan is the best way to end up on the streets. I did start off in my car though (by choice).

If SoCal outgrows your budget, there are many affordable places if being in Caifornia is a priority. You have to be willing to sacrifice temporarily if needed though.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:16 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,246,450 times
Quote:

I don't feel comfortable explaining how I'm familiar with the NJ education system, but I am somewhat familiar with it. The state treats teachers quite well, and, I believe, grad degrees are at least highly preferred, if not required for many positions. If you really want out, looking around the Northeast might not be a terrible option. Or look in less educated states that may be in need of teachers, but not states like AZ OK KY that treat teachers like second class citizens. Something in between.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Maybe try Reno... that's also in Nevada.

My nephew wants to be a cop but can't get hired anywhere because of affirmative action too. Talk about racists against whites.
Yeah, I know where Reno is. While affirmative action can create issues for white people finding work, we have a long history of marginalization and racism against POC to account for and this is one way it happens. You'll never hear me say or see me write that "affirmative action is reverse racism" because it isn't, and that kind of thinking only serves to further marginalize POC.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I don't feel comfortable explaining how I'm familiar with the NJ education system, but I am somewhat familiar with it. The state treats teachers quite well, and, I believe, grad degrees are at least highly preferred, if not required for many positions. If you really want out, looking around the Northeast might not be a terrible option. Or look in less educated states that may be in need of teachers, but not states like AZ OK KY that treat teachers like second class citizens. Something in between.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm pretty set on staying somewhere within the western US, so the northeast is not an area of consideration for me. I also want to leave L.A. to get away from a bigger city, and NJ is nothing if not a bigger city. I also have to consider living in an area where I'm relatively physically comfortable, which means no weather extremes of either heat or cold. I was looking as far east (of CA) as Denver, CO, but as livable as that city seems to be, based on the research I've done, I'm not sure I could deal with the amount of snow they get in winter. Same with parts of Utah, too. I constantly see ads for education jobs in Utah and have, at times, seriously considered the area. But the colder winters would not work for me and my physical comfort. Where I'd really love to be is somewhere in the Pac Northwest and have been looking at both Portland and Eugene, OR for several years. I love Portland and have visited it a few times, but the educational job market just isn't there and they don't seem very receptive to hiring people from out of state. It's also not exactly an inexpensive place to live. Cost of living has gone up there in the past several years. Cost of living in Eugene seems more suited for me, but much like Portland, there's hardly any work in education at the moment. This is why I'm looking at other areas east of me like Vegas and Abq, New Mexico.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:25 PM

21 posts, read 21,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I love living here. I've been here 5 years from Seattle and before that DC. This is my favorite. So much to see. Endless stuff to do. Beautiful plants, trees and flowers. It's such a unique city especially from the cities I lived in. As far as being expensive, I don't find it any more expensive than the two cities I came from especially DC. As far as the weather I find it absolutely amazing. I also learned it really is not the same year around. Winter is my favorite. It's by no means a perfect city but I love it. All this glitz and glamour, stuck up plastic talk is so ridiculous. But people who think they know LA continue to post that crap.
Good to read your post, I left L.A. in 94 after the Northridge quake..my ex-wife from Queens had never been a big earthquake before so it was her way or nothing, moved to Colorado which I have hated for many years. Now thinking of coming back home, thanks for the positivity!

Old 11-26-2018, 05:39 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,345,492 times
I absolutely love LA, and really wish I can move out there by next year. The job search has been painful to say the least.

And no, I am not just someone enamored by LA based on touristy type visits. I have visited numerous times and scoped out the locals' scene all over the LA area.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:57 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,268,520 times
Quote:
Do you have a CLAD endorsement?

Old 11-26-2018, 06:58 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,127,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
I absolutely love LA, and really wish I can move out there by next year. The job search has been painful to say the least.

And no, I am not just someone enamored by LA based on touristy type visits. I have visited numerous times and scoped out the locals' scene all over the LA area.
Why do you love LA? Just curious what you think is great about it. Maybe I'm missing something as a native
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles