Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 03:34 PM

391 posts, read 1,248,908 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to relocate to back to LA but it's tough finding a job when you are out of state. I work for a public accounting firm. My internal transfer didn't happen for some reason. Now that it's warming up here in NYC it's not so bad, but this past winter I was miserable. Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 04:15 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times
Just keep at it. I wouldn't move to any major city without a source of income first. Even if you have family in Los Angeles it's impossible to know how long it will take to find work.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Just keep at it. I wouldn't move to any major city without a source of income first. Even if you have family in Los Angeles it's impossible to know how long it will take to find work.
I could always find any retail job to stay afloat until I find a real one. But then again, it might be hard to find a decent apartment without any proof of income.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:59 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
if you have public accounting experience, you shouldn't have much trouble finding a job in LA, even if it's just temp/contract work until you find a good long term position.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:09 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post
I could always find any retail job to stay afloat until I find a real one. But then again, it might be hard to find a decent apartment without any proof of income.
You won't be able to have your own apartment in L.A. on the wages offered by a retail job. You'll be lucky if you can afford to rent a room in someone's house.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:39 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Do you have enough money saved to live here 6 months without working? That would be my first question before picking up and moving across country.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:17 PM

7 posts, read 10,203 times
I would base my decision on how many jobs you see available on Dice, Monster, etc for your type of work. Start sending resume, with a cover letter that includes - I don't need relocation fees. It will make the employers more apt to really look at your resume. Start sending them out now if you are ready to move in a week. Employers will typically allow you 2 weeks to come to work.

Get familia - if not already - with Skype. They will want a phone and a skype interview at the least. Renting an apt can be a problem here - without a job. Most of the large complexes will take you on a short term lease. You may a bit more per month and they will discuss a deposit amount - usually the same as rent. Keep in mind they have now decided that it is more expensive to live in LA than it is in NYC.

Just prepare.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:15 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post
I've been wanting to relocate to back to LA but it's tough finding a job when you are out of state. I work for a public accounting firm. My internal transfer didn't happen for some reason. Now that it's warming up here in NYC it's not so bad, but this past winter I was miserable. Any tips?
I am planning to move to LA but I wouldn't dream of moving there w/o a job lined up first. Like the other commenter's suggestions, you should focus on finding a new job first, and once you secure it, be prepared to move within the two-three weeks. The offer letter is what you'll need to secure a place to live.

However, a lot of people do move to LA w/o a job and eventually find something. I did that when I moved to Maryland, and then New Jersey, but that was in the late 90s, early 2000. We live in different times and LA is too damn expensive to risk it.

Start saving NOW.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:59 AM

98 posts, read 163,750 times
Im in a similar situation. Im going to get enough savings to where i could live there for a year or two Without working. then ill move and focus on getting a job. Its tough applying out of state while youre currently working.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Do you have enough money saved to live here 6 months without working? That would be my first question before picking up and moving across country.
If I figure the costs below:

1500 apartment
650 car
1000 food and entertainment
3150 a month total

Yes I do have 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icestar View Post
I would base my decision on how many jobs you see available on Dice, Monster, etc for your type of work. Start sending resume, with a cover letter that includes - I don't need relocation fees. It will make the employers more apt to really look at your resume. Start sending them out now if you are ready to move in a week. Employers will typically allow you 2 weeks to come to work.

Get familia - if not already - with Skype. They will want a phone and a skype interview at the least. Renting an apt can be a problem here - without a job. Most of the large complexes will take you on a short term lease. You may a bit more per month and they will discuss a deposit amount - usually the same as rent. Keep in mind they have now decided that it is more expensive to live in LA than it is in NYC.

Just prepare.
I have been applying but no response. Most don't even consider if you live out of state. That's the problem i'm having. How is LA more expensive than NYC? You can't get anything decent in NYC unless you live in a shoebox or the hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles