Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 01:55 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,074,903 times

Advertisements

I was looking at this. LA it seems is like one of worst places to find a job. Even among other California cities. Take a look.

Unemployment Rate (latest month available, Feb 2015)
LA area - 7.7
Orange County area - 4.6
Inland Empire area - 6.8
San Diego area - 5.3
San Jose area - 4.5
San Francisco area - 3.7
Oakland area - 5.1
Sacramento area - 6.3
Las Vegas area - 7.2
Phoenix area - 5.4
California ave - 6.7
USA ave - 5.5

As you could see LA has the highest unemployment rate of all of those areas. Why do you think?

source: At a Glance Tables
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 02:04 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Those stats are scary and I know for a fact that the proliferation of CA license plates here in Michigan is testimony to the scarcity of jobs out there in CA.

There are a lot of jobs available, but there are 10x more people applying for them, and that is scary.

I'm still moving out there though, but of course, I need to secure a job first.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:43 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
I have no way of knowing for sure, but perhaps it is partially owned to Los Angeles having a very high number of non-payroll jobs in the arts and entertainment industries? I know that I am not unemployed because I am working and making money, but I am on nobody's payroll - would I be included in that unemployment figure, or would I need to be actively seeking employment? I apply for better jobs when I see them but it's not full fledged job search.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:51 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
too many people, not enough jobs?

Old 04-17-2015, 02:54 PM

496 posts, read 574,120 times
i believe it has to do with the entertainment jobs.

many are transitional jobs, and when they are in between jobs, they are counted as "unemployed".

Old 04-17-2015, 03:08 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
There aren't remotely close to being that many jobs in entertainment to skew the unemployment rate that much. Face it, you're becoming a giant Fresno. Little high value manufacturing, too many service/menial jobs and too many unskilled people chasing them.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:19 PM

496 posts, read 574,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
There aren't remotely close to being that many jobs in entertainment to skew the unemployment rate that much. Face it, you're becoming a giant Fresno. Little high value manufacturing, too many service/menial jobs and too many unskilled people chasing them.
giant fresno?

that's a bit dramatic....

given that LA is now a new epicenter for tech, which is only increasing throughout the months.....

Old 04-17-2015, 04:39 PM

25 posts, read 35,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
giant fresno?

that's a bit dramatic....

given that LA is now a new epicenter for tech, which is only increasing throughout the months.....

Not that dramatic. It's a sad reality that highly educated people are more drawn to cities like San Francisco and New York.

Inside LA’s ongoing talent conundrum

Los Angeles draws far too many dreamers. "Oh, I want to move to LA for the sun (even though I don't have a job)", "I want to be a star!" types. It's truly annoying. It's also a port city and draws a lot of unskilled immigrants which drives up unemployment and drives down wages. But I'm not sure that's a valid excuse because NYC is also a port city, also draws tons of dreamers, yet it manages to be the corporate capital and capital of graduates from the best schools.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:20 PM

13 posts, read 13,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I was looking at this. LA it seems is like one of worst places to find a job. Even among other California cities. Take a look.

Unemployment Rate (latest month available, Feb 2015)
LA area - 7.7
Orange County area - 4.6
Inland Empire area - 6.8
San Diego area - 5.3
San Jose area - 4.5
San Francisco area - 3.7
Oakland area - 5.1
Sacramento area - 6.3
Las Vegas area - 7.2
Phoenix area - 5.4
California ave - 6.7
USA ave - 5.5

As you could see LA has the highest unemployment rate of all of those areas. Why do you think?

source: At a Glance Tables
LA employers are only hiring people with good attitudes, hit the ground running skill sets, experience within same industry and minimum education of few years of college and no criminal experience. Of course, this is for jobs with starting salary of $42,000 annually and up.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:24 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Everyone I know with an in-demand skill and/or a college degree has had no issues finding work in LA. granted the pay may not be enough to live comfortably in such an expensive city, but work is available. i think the issue is LA's large percentage of low income residents. LA has a massive underclass that I'm certain skews the numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles