Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:39 AM

297 posts, read 294,211 times

Advertisements

I'm very much interested in soaking in the sun year round. Needless to say, I'm tired of living on the East Coast! I don't have to worry about finding employment after I relocate. Fortunately, I work from home, therefore I can reside anywhere in the U.S. I'm just a little lost in terms of where in L.A. (or the surrounding area) should I target?

I'm looking for a 1 bedroom apartment in a nice/safe area. I'd love to live not too far from nice restaurants and have a ton of good shopping options. My maximum rental budget is 1800/month. Initially, I considered relocating to the South, but now I'm more or less set on residing in L.A. for a few years.

Please help me narrow down a few good areas for my apartment search...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:52 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
$1800 for a 1 bedroom should allow you to live practically anywhere in the LA area that you want. Question is what type of lifestyle do you want? Close to beach, city, nightlife, hipsters etc

Old 04-20-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
$1800 for a 1 bedroom should allow you to live practically anywhere in the LA area that you want. Question is what type of lifestyle do you want? Close to beach, city, nightlife, hipsters etc

It is ok if I'm not within walking distance to the beach, but I'd like to live not too far (within 20-25 miles) from the water. Ideally, I'd prefer to live in an area with scenic mountain views and around lots of palm trees. Also, as previously mentioned, I want to be within close proximity to shops & restaurants so I don't have to drive everywhere.

I've lived in various cities (originally from NYC) for much of my life, so this time around, I'd prefer something a little more suburban.

Please feel free to recommend actual areas. Thus far, I've been told to check out Sherman Oaks, Studio City and Glendale.

I have 6 months before my actual move. Right now I'm just looking at different areas in or near L.A. and trying to determine where I should begin my search. My number one concern is safety, but also, I want to reside in an area that is aesthetically appealing.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:28 AM

I moved here 10 years ago from Boston. I have been in Glendale for 5 years and lived in Sherman Oaks for a couple of years as well as Hollywood and Koreatown. Glendale, Sherman Oaks and Studio City are all nice areas. All suburban and palm trees are everywhere. But all three will probably take at least 90 minutes to get to the beach in traffic on a weekend. I would say if you have the money and plan on going to the beach regularly, live near the beach. Santa Monica, Venice, Marina Del Rey, Mar Vista, Culver City, etc.

The other areas are nice but different vibes. Sherman Oaks and Studio City have suburban feel, lots of restaurants, bars and weed dispensaries. When I lived there my entire apartment complex seemed to be full of 20 something out of work wannabe actors. The building was loud, smelled like weed in all the hallways and there were parties a the pool daily. Glendale is quieter, more families, lots of Armenians not much good nightlife (unless you are Armenian) and not as good of restaurant scene but not terrible. Glendale has it's own police department and is one of the top 10 safest cities in the US. I live there mainly due to proximity of my job which is how most people chose where to live in LA due to horrible commutes and traffic. But it is also very close to mountains and Angels forest and I prefer the mountains/Forrest over the beach so that works for me

Old 04-20-2015, 11:39 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyDay2016 View Post
It is ok if I'm not within walking distance to the beach, but I'd like to live not too far (within 20-25 miles) from the water. Ideally, I'd prefer to live in an area with scenic mountain views and around lots of palm trees. Also, as previously mentioned, I want to be within close proximity to shops & restaurants so I don't have to drive everywhere.

I've lived in various cities (originally from NYC) for much of my life, so this time around, I'd prefer something a little more suburban.

Please feel free to recommend actual areas. Thus far, I've been told to check out Sherman Oaks, Studio City and Glendale.

I have 6 months before my actual move. Right now I'm just looking at different areas in or near L.A. and trying to determine where I should begin my search. My number one concern is safety, but also, I want to reside in an area that is aesthetically appealing.
Sounds like Pasadena could work for you. But keep in mind that 20-25 miles from the beach is not close.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I moved here 10 years ago from Boston. I have been in Glendale for 5 years and lived in Sherman Oaks for a couple of years as well as Hollywood and Koreatown. Glendale, Sherman Oaks and Studio City are all nice areas. All suburban and palm trees are everywhere. But all three will probably take at least 90 minutes to get to the beach in traffic on a weekend. I would say if you have the money and plan on going to the beach regularly, live near the beach. Santa Monica, Venice, Marina Del Rey, Mar Vista, Culver City, etc.

The other areas are nice but different vibes. Sherman Oaks and Studio City have suburban feel, lots of restaurants, bars and weed dispensaries. When I lived there my entire apartment complex seemed to be full of 20 something out of work wannabe actors. The building was loud, smelled like weed in all the hallways and there were parties a the pool daily. Glendale is quieter, more families, lots of Armenians not much good nightlife (unless you are Armenian) and not as good of restaurant scene but not terrible. Glendale has it's own police department and is one of the top 10 safest cities in the US. I live there mainly due to proximity of my job which is how most people chose where to live in LA due to horrible commutes and traffic. But it is also very close to mountains and Angels forest and I prefer the mountains/Forrest over the beach so that works for me
Thanks for the feedback. A few years ago, when I worked in an office building, I selected my housing based on how close-in it was to the office. Now that I don't have such issues, I'm more or less interested in residing in an aesthetically pleasing "new" apartment building, close to shops and restaurants.

Honestly, I don't plan to reside in L.A. (or the surrounding area) for over 2 years, because I'd like to purchase a home soon and I plan to buy in Raleigh, NC. While I'm still young (and since I work 100% from home) I think it would be a good experience to relocate to L.A. and soak in the sun, before purchasing a home in the South.

Perhaps I should consider living closer-in to the beach. My only issue is, since I will be spending my days at home (working between the hours of 6am - 3pm) I need peace & quiet to meet my report deadlines. I do not smoke or drink, so I don't want to live in a building where people are constantly partying or smoking. I currently reside in a smoke free apartment complex, but I seriously doubt that I'll be able to find a smoke free apartment in Los Angeles.

I will look into Santa Monica and Culver City, but from my understanding, the nicer 1-bedroom apartments tend to be more than 1800/month in those areas!! Ideally, I'd like to keep my 1800/month rental budget, if possible.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Sounds like Pasadena could work for you. But keep in mind that 20-25 miles from the beach is not close.
Thanks for suggesting Pasadena. I'll definitely include it while searching for good apartments.

Out of curiosity, how long would it typically take to get to the beach from Pasadena, if I left around noon on a Thursday or Friday?

Old 04-20-2015, 12:01 PM

I think most if not all apartment complexes in Burbank and Glendale are smoke free. All the ones I looked at on my recent search were and I think both cities have city wide bans on smoking. Shia Labeouf famously got a ticket for smoking a cigarette on the street in Burbank a few years ago. Both of those cities will also have some quiet buildings and as states Pasadena is not a bad options.

I would probably avoid the Valley (Sherman Oaks, Studio City, etc etc)

Old 04-20-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyDay2016 View Post
Thanks for suggesting Pasadena. I'll definitely include it while searching for good apartments.

Out of curiosity, how long would it typically take to get to the beach from Pasadena, if I left around noon on a Thursday or Friday?
Might be able to get to the beach in 45 minutes but getting home will be a nightmare. Rush hour starts around 3pm. I went to Getty Villa one day during the week and left the Getty around 4pm and took me 2 hours to get back to Glendale. Honestly, if you don't live near the beach don't expect to be going to the beach very often. You might be willing to do it more during the first few months as you are spending more time driving around and exploring but after a while the time sitting in gridlock will suck the soul right out of you

Old 04-20-2015, 12:10 PM

I am also considering Woodland Hills. I've come across some nice apartments in this area, slightly under my 1800/month rental budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles