Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 10:21 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,777,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You have to take what a competitor says with a grain of salt . I've been to a Shake Shack and I've been to IN N OUT several times . It's a different experience .
Also last time I checked ... IN N OUT didn't serve beer or alcohol at all .
Also haven't there been some Umani locations that have closed down , even in LA?
I know they expanded to NYC where the founder is originally from, but it didn't look like they really had that many locations in NYC .
Maybe he's a little bitter about not having succeeded as well ?
I'd say their competition isn't IN N OUT but maybe something like Rounds burgers ?
There is also a new place called Hollywood Burger that seems similar
There is a difference between in n out which is fast food and a fast casual concept like shake shack or rounds or Hollywood burger .

I like IN N OUT but most locations at least aren't the type of place where you really want to hang out and eat there . It's either go through the drive thru or eat quick and leave .
Any popular burger chain that comes to Los Angeles will have competition with In-N-Out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 10:37 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,307,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Any popular burger chain that comes to Los Angeles will have competition with In-N-Out.
Sure , but there aren't even really that many IN N OUT locations even in L.A..compared to some other places serving burgers.
He could of also said they will have competition because there are a lot of places serving burgers in general..like McDonald's , Jack in the Box, Carls Jr, etc.

I think even the Habit Burger would be more similar to Shake Shack versus IN N OUT.

Also it's interesting they picked West Hollywood...as it doesn't look like there is an IN N OUT in West Hollywood.

I know they will be opening a location in Glendale though and there's an IN N OUT right there next to the Americana.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:39 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,342,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
You can say that about any other city. Nothing different or new here.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:13 AM

27 posts, read 33,008 times
It seems we're comparing apples to oranges in terms of price point. The fact that I can get 2 double double's at In-N-Out and it still would cost less than 1 double Shackburger is saying something. A more honest comparison would be Five Guys or Umami Burger.

This isn't just about taste, price matters too. Would you currently go to Five Guys or Umami Burger twice in a week?.......

Old 03-15-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOC_Sights View Post
It seems we're comparing apples to oranges in terms of price point. The fact that I can get 2 double double's at In-N-Out and it still would cost less than 1 double Shackburger is saying something. A more honest comparison would be Five Guys or Umami Burger.

This isn't just about taste, price matters too. Would you currently go to Five Guys or Umami Burger twice in a week?.......
Right exactly. Price point alone it's a big difference. I'm pretty sure Umami is significantly more than Five Guys.
I'd say Umami is more in the category with 25 Degrees. More like a boutique burger type place.
Umami and 25 Degrees are both higher priced even than Shake Shack too.

The burgers are good at 25 Degrees..but they start at $13 and that's without cheese
http://25degreesrestaurant.com/wp-co...u-08.13.15.pdf
I've only been there a couple times and it's been a while.

There is a similar type place in Vegas called Holstein's where the burgers are even more expensive. They also have a location in Costa Mesa
http://www.holsteinsburgers.com/resc...r-2.5.16_2.pdf

$16 Burgers work in Vegas though because they look reasonably priced next to $50+ dollar steaks.

I'd say IN N OUT is more like a quality,nice,clean hotel. A solid place to spend the night, but they aren't going to offer spa services and the extra 'frills'
IN N OUT makes a quality burger...but they aren't going to put Gruyere cheese on your burger.

Sometimes you don't want Gruyere cheese on your burger...even if you can afford it.
Sometimes you want something quick,clean and reliable .

Speaking of burgers , I had Fat Burger yesterday and there's something about those burgers that's real tasty and unique.
Maybe extra fat in it? LOL.
It's also more expensive than IN N OUT btw

Old 03-15-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOC_Sights View Post

I think you are focusing too much on price. It is about the taste, and also about the experience, which is what Shake Shack gives you. But if you just want a go in-eat-leave type place, then In-N-Out is for you.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:56 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,618,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Never heard of it until this post but I'll give it a try.
They started in the park by the Flat Iron building a few years ago and there were long lines all day long. Their schtick is grounding fresh never frozen beef on the premises and cooked carefully. It's a tasty burger, I still have it once in awhile. Definitely a big step above Five Guys & In-n-Out and a huge step above Burger King & McDonalds

Old 03-15-2016, 12:00 PM

No. 29: Back to Basics

Old 03-15-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I think you are focusing too much on price. It is about the taste, and also about the experience, which is what Shake Shack gives you. But if you just want a go in-eat-leave type place, then In-N-Out is for you.
Shake Shack also serves Chicken, Hot Dogs , Beer and Wine which is more reason why it's pretty absurd the founder of Umami burger is saying IN N OUT will be their competition. He's gotta know better right?..

Old 03-15-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Have you seen this documentary?
The Restaurateur (2010) - IMDb

The guy seems like he knows what he's doing, smart businessman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles