Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:42 PM

8,543 posts, read 10,962,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by david91722 View Post
David Goldstein of KCBS-TV just did an investigation into the matter.

CBS2 Investigation: Scammers Caught Selling Disabled Parking Placards « CBS Los Angeles
That is what prompted me to start this thread, since my placard was stolen about a week ago.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 01:25 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Before posting this in the Los Angeles forum, I searched for a forum dealing with the entire state, but saw none.
The California forum is broken up into sub forums for different areas of the state.

As the heading ask, are you a handicapped driver in California?
If so, I just want to give you a head's up about you handicap placard hanging on your rear view mirror.
Last week, I was at the Westfield shopping center near Santa Anita.
I wasn't in the store more than 10 minutes, and when I returned to my car, the security guard was giving me a ticket for parking in a handicap spot without a placard.

One look and it was obvious , because of the crooked mirror, that someone stole the placard.
I had the registration slip for the placard, so the security guard voided the ticket.
He stated he has seen a rise in placard theft in that shopping center.
It had never entered my mind that my placard could, or would be sold for cash to someone wanting to park free all the time.

Well my eyes were opened today while watching the noon new on KCAL 9 today.
Seems there is a demand for stolen placards on the black market, and crooks are making big bucks selling them.(some as much as $300.00 per placard)

Today I emailed both my reps in the state legislature, and asked them to look into the phasing out of the plastic placard, and adopt a sticker that could be affixed to the inside of the windshield, similar to state vehicle inspection stickers some states issue.
Presently Ca issues licence plates with a handicap insignia embossed on the plate, but I would guess they are being stolen as well.
If you have one of these plastic placard hanging from your mirror, best to contact your state reps and get the law changed.
Fortunately the top was down on my car, so there was no damage.

Others are not so lucky.
Windows have been smashed to gain access to the placard.

A sticker glued to the windshield would take to much time to remove, and would probably be worthless once removed.
Please don't be complacent about this, It COULD happen to you.

Bob.

Ok, maybe this is a stupid question coming from a non-handicapped person. But why would someone want to steal a damn handicapped placard? If you're handicapped, can't you just get one easily?

Old 04-27-2015, 04:23 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,432,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Ok, maybe this is a stupid question coming from a non-handicapped person. But why would someone want to steal a damn handicapped placard? If you're handicapped, can't you just get one easily?
Watch the video in that link and you will understand!

Old 04-28-2015, 12:27 AM

51 posts, read 45,395 times
Quote:
You're assuming only handicapped people use the placard. There are many non-handicapped people who use the placard to illegally park in handicapped parking spaces. The placard thieves illegally sell them to able-bodied people.

Last edited by david91722; 04-28-2015 at 12:36 AM..

Old 04-28-2015, 01:26 AM

11,157 posts, read 7,950,508 times
Quote:
Not stupid. Just think.... You can use your stolen handicapped placard to park in the handicapped space in front of the bank you're going to rob. Those spaces are right by the front door... No crook is going to want to spend their loot from the robbery to pay a fine for unauthorized parking in a handicapped space . Those fines are horrible!

Old 04-28-2015, 08:11 AM

When I first posted my question, I was at work and couldn't watch the video.

Since I don't have a criminal mind, I was naive in wondering why people want to steal and dang handicapped placard. Now I know. Apparently this isn't an issue in Michigan. :/

Old 04-28-2015, 08:38 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,432,374 times
Quote:
When I first posted my question, I was at work and couldn't watch the video.

Since I don't have a criminal mind, I was naive in wondering why people want to steal and dang handicapped placard. Now I know. Apparently this isn't an issue in Michigan. :/
Well, that was a lame statement. I could very easily think of the reasons before watching the video. I thought I had common sense or, at least, had a good imagination but according to you, I, instead have a criminal mind!

Who knew!

Old 04-29-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Well, that was a lame statement. I could very easily think of the reasons before watching the video. I thought I had common sense or, at least, had a good imagination but according to you, I, instead have a criminal mind!

Who knew!

Old 04-29-2015, 09:34 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
I propose a fingerprint scanner at each handicap parking spot in the country. Those with handicap access need to input their print when they park. If the print doesn't match or isn't a handicap approved print then spikes drive up into the tires.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:50 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I propose a fingerprint scanner at each handicap parking spot in the country. Those with handicap access need to input their print when they park. If the print doesn't match...
Right. And what of the temporarily handicapped? Those who have broken a limb, undergone a debilitating surgery, have side effects from cancer treatment, etc....who need the handicapped placard for only a specific amount of time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: