Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 06:39 AM

12 posts, read 10,449 times

Advertisements

Does anyone out there think there is too much redundancy in LA County cities? A lot of these cities are tiny and some less than two square miles (Maywood, Artesia, Huntington Park etc.). They aren't even large enough to support their own police and fire protection. What if some of these areas pulled off something similar to Santa Clarita and formed larger cities and then having neighborhoods in the new larger city follow the boundaries and have the same name as the former small city. I feel like these areas would be better off like that and not be declining. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 06:59 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,547 times
Size does not correlate with economic success. Bradbury and Westlake Village are two tiny cities that are doing well.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:47 AM

490 posts, read 660,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland View Post
Does anyone out there think there is too much redundancy in LA County cities? A lot of these cities are tiny and some less than two square miles (Maywood, Artesia, Huntington Park etc.). They aren't even large enough to support their own police and fire protection. What if some of these areas pulled off something similar to Santa Clarita and formed larger cities and then having neighborhoods in the new larger city follow the boundaries and have the same name as the former small city. I feel like these areas would be better off like that and not be declining. Thoughts?
What the poster above said.
Weho is ~1.9 square miles, and extremely prosperous.
Plus, I like the tiny cities, they have distinct characteristics. I often feel Los Angeles is too big and would benefit from being broken up a bit, especially the school district, much much too large to thrive.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:50 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
What the poster above said.
Weho is ~1.9 square miles, and extremely prosperous.
Plus, I like the tiny cities, they have distinct characteristics. I often feel Los Angeles is too big and would benefit from being broken up a bit, especially the school district, much much too large to thrive.
I think Los Angeles should adopt something like the borough system. Something that works independent of city limits - Westside (includes Culver City, Beverly Hills, unincorporated Baldwin Hills/Ladera, Marina Del Rey), Central LA, South LA (includes, Vernon, Maywood, Inglewood, Maywood, Huntington Park, Bell, South Gate, Cudahy, Lynwood, Florence-Graham), Eastside (includes East LA), San Fernando Valley West, San Fernando Valley East (includes San Fernando and Burbank).

I doubt that the big, wealthy municipalities would go for this - that is why I left off Glendale, Santa Monica and Pasadena. It's pretty unlikely Beverly Hills would be into it, they are not interested in regional planning. Probably would also be hard to convince Burbank.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:57 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,304,988 times
If it ain't broke

Old 04-28-2015, 11:01 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,293 times
Many of these small cities are better off on their own.

If they were to merge and share the same funding, resource, and services, some areas might not get their fair shares.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:12 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Having more small cities would probably be better.

City of L.A is huge but isn't run very well. City services leave a lot to be desired, and they clearly can't regulate many aspects of the city from City Hall.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:15 PM

496 posts, read 574,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I think Los Angeles should adopt something like the borough system. Something that works independent of city limits - Westside (includes Culver City, Beverly Hills, unincorporated Baldwin Hills/Ladera, Marina Del Rey), Central LA, South LA (includes, Vernon, Maywood, Inglewood, Maywood, Huntington Park, Bell, South Gate, Cudahy, Lynwood, Florence-Graham), Eastside (includes East LA), San Fernando Valley West, San Fernando Valley East (includes San Fernando and Burbank).

I doubt that the big, wealthy municipalities would go for this - that is why I left off Glendale, Santa Monica and Pasadena. It's pretty unlikely Beverly Hills would be into it, they are not interested in regional planning. Probably would also be hard to convince Burbank.
Interesting. How does the borough system work actually?

Old 04-28-2015, 06:01 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,228 times
Much more pressing than consolidating these small cities would be to get them their own school districts. A city hasn't broken away from LAUSD schools since Torrance did decades ago. Carson, SouthGate, Gardena, San Fernando, and many others would likely get better schools and raise property values if they weren't lumped in to the nation's second largest district. I'm always surprised Carson hasn't done this since it is large enough and middle class enough to do better.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:55 PM

490 posts, read 660,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
If it ain't broke
isn't that the question...

I am also surprised Carson hasn't established their own school district, other than the school, seems family oriented to me. I think it was on their ballot a while ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles