Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 10:43 PM
OKH OKH started this thread

2 posts, read 1,814 times

Advertisements

So, I'll be moving down to LA in the next month or two to work in Sherman Oaks. Difficulty: I'm a homeowner in the bay and my wife has accumulated too many animals for most apartments, so I'll be looking to rent (from a cool, pet friendly landlord) or buy a house in the area. I have little direct experience with ideal neighborhoods in that area, so I'm looking to see if anyone can help recommend some neighborhoods to look at.

Looking for:
-3bd/2ba
-Safe (Wife or I can walk my dog confidently during early evening) neighborhood
-Garage
-Central air conditioning
-30 min away from Sherman Oaks
-Wife and I might get on the kids thing soon, so hopefully not abysmal schools?

Budget caps:
-Rental 2500-3000/mo (cheaper is always better)
-Buying 500-600K

What would be some good areas to look at? Specific places or things to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 03:57 AM

73 posts, read 119,207 times
Here's a list of areas to look at, Sherman Oaks?, Burbank, Encino, Tarzana, Lake Balboa, Woodland Hills, Northridge, and Valley Village.
All these areas are safe and I'm sure you can find something in one of these areas within your budget.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:21 AM

84 posts, read 110,283 times
w/in 30 minutes of Sherman oaks?
the other side of Sherman Oaks.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:21 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Calabasas.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:52 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Sherman Oaks seems like the obvious answer.

As for schools, every public school in LA is abysmal so don't let that factor into your decisions.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:17 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
there are house options in your rental/buy budget in sherman oaks, but they are going to small and probably outdated. homes drop in price as you move north and west from sherman oaks (areas west are much nicer than areas north). there are parts of encino that could also work for you, but they'll probably push your budget. tarzana is a bit less expensive as are woodland hills and west hills. depending on where your office is located, you should be able to get to sherman oaks in 30 minutes from all of these places.

with respect to schools, there are plenty of good elementary schools in the valley, you just need to be smart about it. since you don't even have kids yet and you'll be new to LA, I'd recommend renting when upon arrival. the housing market seems to be peaking right now, so buying may not be prudent at this time.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:58 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Sherman Oaks is the best option for your commute. Your budget will get you something there. Not something spectacular. But something. If you want the best school nearby look into Woodland Hills and West Hills so that you can be zoned for El Camino Real High School. I know it's a good school. And also that's where a huge majority of my Jewish friends from the SFV went to high school haha

Calabasas has great schools, but your commute to Sherman Oaks will be long. Definitely over 30 minutes.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:19 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
I'd say Sherman Oaks itself but then the schools are LAUSD and your budget is very thin for what you want. The people suggesting Burbank havent paid attention to real estate prices lately. No way in heck you get a 3/2 SFR in Burbank under $600k. $700k would be pushing it. As to renting, again good luck getting a 3/2 anywhere decent in the SfV under $2500/mo.

The exceptions are Woodland Hills, Northridge, and Granada Hills. Some decent charter and other LAUSD schools. But think and research that. It's still LAUSD and IMO their ciriculumn is very flawed.

So if I were you I'd look at Santa Clarita/Valencia or Simi Valley. Good schools, safe nice suburbs. The flaw is if you change jobs and have to commute to somewhere further than SFV. Also, more like a 40 minute commute from those areas, though without traffic it's a 20 minute or so drive.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:18 AM
OKH OKH started this thread

2 posts, read 1,814 times
Thanks for the responses. Wife seems to think Sherman Oaks is a good idea as well, and that's been a common thought in this thread. I was gandering at Woodland Hills and Granada Hills, but the commute seems to vary between terrible and comical, and on JohnG72's comment, I want flexibility if I change jobs.

I can afford more than my budget, but sticking close to a goal amount helped me land my current place (4bd/4ba in the east bay, 10 year old construction, 30 min to SF or SJ without commute traffic, 290K). I expect to rent it our for roughly 3K, which should net me another 1+K/mo after all expenditures and income taxes.

I do agree with BRinSM's comment: The market looks peaky, and I will have to learn the areas first, so I should rent for a year. It will be cheaper in the long term to find the right neighborhood and pay 7% more in 2016 than pay less and get stuck in a hellhole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles