Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 09:53 AM

822 posts, read 1,284,701 times

Advertisements

23 Years Later, Fallow LA Riots Site in South LA Will Become a Flashy Shopping Center - DevelopmentWatch - Curbed LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 10:44 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Yeah I had seen that. It's interesting. Developers have run out of areas to develop it seems like. Should be interesting to see how South LA changes more with this project and USC Village (which will be the biggest project in South L.A history)

It's not too surprising as South L.A has been changing demographically and become lower crime since the riots.
Also with Downtown L.A being nearby and on fire , more people are going to want to live in South L.A

Old 04-30-2015, 11:03 AM

The article implies a Chanel store in the new SO eL A mall. Of course that is what the developer envisions but it may not be the reality.

And I think shrinkage will be a problem for many of the retailers.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:12 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
I would not at all be surprised to see a Chanel store in South L.A

Take a look at what has happened in the Miami Design District . It was an area that people didn't go to and now is like a kind of Rodeo Drive on steroids.

Roberto CoinVoice: The Miami Design District Flourishes With Expanding Luxury Retail - Forbes

Check out this article from September 2013..

"Valentino, Fendi, Tom Ford, Dolce & Gabbana, Harry Winston, Givenchy, Giorgio Armani and Van Cleef & Arpels.

All those ultra-luxury fashion and jewelry brands — and many more — will soon open their gilded doors in Miami’s redeveloped Design District, joining other high-end designers like Louis Vuitton, Hermès, Berluti, Emilio Pucci, Prada, Celine and Cartier, which have already set up shops.

Construction is underway, as the transformation of the once-gritty Miami neighborhood into a glamourous international luxury shopping destination takes shape. Already, some buildings have come down; security has been stepped up, greenery enhanced."

Read more here: Miami Design District

Old 04-30-2015, 01:40 PM

496 posts, read 574,580 times
I think slowly but surely South LA will be "redeveloped" because of its proximity to DTLA. And USC's development will further spur that on with the construction of their new village.

It will take time tho.

My prediction is about 15 to 20 years before we see significant change to South LA. I said that because South LA is so big.

Yes, the portions closet to DTLA will "redevelop" first, and then as time progresses, that will spread more south.

I am very familiar with portions of South LA because I still have grandparents and other relatives who live there. Mine mostly in the very southern portions (Broadway and Imperial)

Old 04-30-2015, 01:46 PM

73 posts, read 119,226 times
No way is Chanel or any other Luxury retailer would open a store in South L.A. Think more Forever 21, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngcorporate View Post
No way is Chanel or any other Luxury retailer would open a store in South L.A. Think more Forever 21, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross.
I totally share the same view. If the Baldwin Hills Mall doesn't have luxury brands then how can this new mall in a lower income area. Who's gonna buy the Chanel?

Old 04-30-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngcorporate View Post
that sounds more right.

DTLA is trying to get Chanel, etc.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:57 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,834 times
South LA will definitely be redeveloped because it still has the pleasant weather of the basin and slowly but surely the fixer upper crowd is chipping away at the edges of it.

I wonder if this development is too far south from USC which itself is trying to raise up its environs. But developers don't just pick a spot on the map, they do what they think will bring something profitable. So maybe, as surprising as this sounds, it just might be a good idea?

Old 04-30-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
South LA will definitely be redeveloped because it still has the pleasant weather of the basin and slowly but surely the fixer upper crowd is chipping away at the edges of it.

I wonder if this development is too far south from USC which itself is trying to raise up its environs. But developers don't just pick a spot on the map, they do what they think will bring something profitable. So maybe, as surprising as this sounds, it just might be a good idea?
yes the weather of South LA is definitely key in its redevelopment.

The facts are that South LA is in a very convenient place. It's close to DTLA and not that far from the beach. And it has the pleasant, so-cal weather.

That's why I say, give it about 20 years, and South LA, or at least MANY portions of it will be unrecognizable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles