Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:45 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,118,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
The Iranians in LA are Jews
Many are Muslim, but they live in the same areas as the Jews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 01:08 PM

45 posts, read 73,986 times
How is this:

5503 Evita Ct, Agoura Hills, CA 91301 is For Sale | Zillow

Agoura Hills has a Jewish population said a poster, right?

3959 Poppyseed Pl, Calabasas, CA 91302 is For Sale | Zillow

Or this in Calabasas, CA?

Old 05-06-2015, 01:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,962,200 times
OP, California's few ethnic neighborhoods, esp. in SoCal are pretty much composed of those of immigrants from the last 30 years, not those from the first few years of the last century. So Asian and Hispanic mostly, not Jewish, German, Italian, Irish, etc. After all, LA was a tiny town in 1900.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
OP, California's few ethnic neighborhoods, esp. in SoCal are pretty much composed of those of immigrants from the last 30 years, not those from the first few years of the last century. So Asian and Hispanic mostly, not Jewish, German, Italian, Irish, etc. After all, LA was a tiny town in 1900.
I don't think you understand me, I'm not looking for an ethnic enclave just somewhere with a concentration of Jewish people and amenities...we have to be able to walk to Shul on Saturday. Los Angeles has the 2nd largest Jewish population after NYC. I am just looking for concentrations of "the tribe" so I can have the amenities I need, without being in the middle of the city or having to put my kids in LA City Schools. I don't need 100% Jews on my block if I needed that I would move to Tel Aviv...I just need to be able to effectively practice my religion.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:36 PM

73 posts, read 118,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.Bomb View Post
Hey there, youngish observant Jewish family moving from Long Island. We have two kids 10 and 14 years old. I will be working at Wilshire Blvd and Doheny and want to commute no more than 45 to 60 minutes each way. Work is 10-6 Monday through Friday.

We are looking for quiet, suburban communities with lots of Jewish people and amenities for Jews, and good schools. Budget is $900k for a home. We were directed to Sherman Oaks, Tarzana and Encino but I'm dismayed to see that would put us in LA City Schools Territory. We don't need top rated blue ribbon schools, just solid test scores, middle/upper middle class demographics, not too much ESL, no gangs.

Suggestions?
Your best bet is Encino, Tarzana, or Sherman Oaks, and you commute would be around the 30 - 45 minute range.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,526,602 times
Quote:
I don't think you understand me, I'm not looking for an ethnic enclave just somewhere with a concentration of Jewish people and amenities...we have to be able to walk to Shul on Saturday. Los Angeles has the 2nd largest Jewish population after NYC. I am just looking for concentrations of "the tribe" so I can have the amenities I need, without being in the middle of the city or having to put my kids in LA City Schools. I don't need 100% Jews on my block if I needed that I would move to Tel Aviv...I just need to be able to effectively practice my religion.

Well as you were told earlier, you're going to have to compromise some.

You're best bet is Encino, Sherman Oaks, and Tarzana to try and match what you're leaving. But it is the LASUD school district. Check out the schools there(they're not all bad) or look at private schools in the Valley.

There is a temple on Ventura Blvd in Encino(Beth Emanuel I believe) that has a school as well.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:21 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,118,505 times
Quote:
we have to be able to walk to Shul on Saturday.
If you have to be able to walk to your temple, you are going to further restrict where you can live, unless you don't mind walking five or more miles. The only synagogue I find for Agoura is in Thousand Oaks, which is miles away.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:40 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,488,356 times
My Jewish friend lived and went to temple in Simi Valley. Her kids went to public school there. She worked in West LA.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:56 PM

Okay, this is gonna be a bit harder than I expected. In Orthodox Judaism a Jew has to live within an eruv which is essentially a symbolic wall that is a boundary of where you are supposed to live and within it you are no more than 1 mile to walk to shul. Here in the NYC metro area there are tons so I figured that most areas I would find would be within one anyway. I went to look up a map to make the search easier and there is only one orthodox eruv in LA (there is one other conservative one as well)

These are the boundaries, this narrows my search:

I have to find a place within this boundary..doable? If private schools are needed I guess I will have to drop my budget a bit. Although I would prefer greatly to be in a single home, an attached/semi attached would work I just cannot put my family in an apartment.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:10 PM

490 posts, read 655,902 times
Quote:
Okay, this is gonna be a bit harder than I expected. In Orthodox Judaism a Jew has to live within an eruv which is essentially a symbolic wall that is a boundary of where you are supposed to live and within it you are no more than 1 mile to walk to shul. Here in the NYC metro area there are tons so I figured that most areas I would find would be within one anyway. I went to look up a map to make the search easier and there is only one orthodox eruv in LA (there is one other conservative one as well)

These are the boundaries, this narrows my search:

I have to find a place within this boundary..doable? If private schools are needed I guess I will have to drop my budget a bit. Although I would prefer greatly to be in a single home, an attached/semi attached would work I just cannot put my family in an apartment.
What you circled has the historic Jewish areas within. However the only non LAUSD schools would be in Beverly Hills, which you cannot afford. I'd recommend Pico-Roberston, you might be able to afford something there. Another poster has suggested Beverlywood which is a lovely SFR community just south of Pico-Robertson but last I checked homes there went from 1-2m and that was when the market wasn't so hot.

And About the Single family home desire, the only places within your boundaries where you can get a family sized home under 900k are Mid-City or Arlington Heights, which are not very family oriented.

Last edited by IM90046; 05-06-2015 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles