Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:02 AM

396 posts, read 1,724,076 times

Advertisements

where do you guys shop for groceries? what is the cheapest place to shop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 09:07 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
The L.A. area is a huge place. There are lots of places throughout L.A. to shop for groceries. How about we put the area ahead of the names of the stores?

Example:

San Fernando Valley - Vallarta Supermarket and other stores that cater to the hispanic culture. For some reason, these stores seem to have better prices on many items than the big chain stores.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:19 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Where do you live? There are lots of stores that are only in certain parts of the city.

Trader Joe's is very popular.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:08 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
The L.A. area is a huge place. There are lots of places throughout L.A. to shop for groceries. How about we put the area ahead of the names of the stores?

Example:

San Fernando Valley - Vallarta Supermarket and other stores that cater to the hispanic culture. For some reason, these stores seem to have better prices on many items than the big chain stores.
I never liked Vallarta Supermarket much. It seems like the area where their store is at is always dirty and the parking lot is just as dirty. And illegals hanging around the area looking for a hand out.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:41 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
I never liked Vallarta Supermarket much. It seems like the area where their store is at is always dirty and the parking lot is just as dirty. And illegals hanging around the area looking for a hand out.
I don't frequent these stores much either, partly for those reasons, and partly because I don't care much for the neighborhoods they are in. They do tend to have decent prices, though, which is why I mentioned them.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:41 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Thumbs up Online...

The only way to shop, ONLINE.

THEY: walk the isles, wait in line, pack the car (truck, whatever), wrestle traffic, heft groceries into kitchen, charge a measly fee.

I: point and click, schedule a delivery, pay a measly fee, greet with a smile, point where to leave groceries, sign order, put stuff away.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:12 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
For quality and good customer service it's Gelsons. You pay the price there but their foods are wonderful with many great selections. For price, when we lived there we went to Sams Club or Cosco. I don't much care for the hespanic markets either for the same reasons you mentioned. Also some of them don't carry much of a variety. I didn't think their prices were that great either. Just my opinion though.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:24 PM

236 posts, read 1,141,390 times
Vons and Ralphs have decent prices and they double your coupons. I have a hard time saving money when I go to Albertsons, so I don't go there. Stater Bros is good, but they don't double their coupons.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:46 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
Anyone know of good markets in the Los Feliz area?

Old 01-19-2008, 05:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
The only way to shop, ONLINE.

THEY: walk the isles, wait in line, pack the car (truck, whatever), wrestle traffic, heft groceries into kitchen, charge a measly fee.

I: point and click, schedule a delivery, pay a measly fee, greet with a smile, point where to leave groceries, sign order, put stuff away.
Online is OK but it is tough to do comparison shopping. I always compare price per ounce and factor in the discounts and specials a particular chain may offer.

My advice: Get on all the grocery stores' member list (and stick the little plastic thing on your key chain).
Look for specials and compare cost per ounce.

Buy produce last. I read somewhere you end up spending more money on stuff you don't need when you buy produce first. Also, you don't want your produce crushed by your 24 pack of soda and gallons of milk.

California produce seemed to last longer than Colorado produce. Perhaps there is an extra day of shipping.

Costco can be pretty good for bulk things like frozen chicken breasts, Costco chicken sausages, potstickers (generally frozen stuff). Fresh Costco pizzas are pretty good for the money.

Trader Joes is great. Shop on off hours, not on Saturdays - too crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles