Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:14 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

We have monthly street sweeping that takes care of this... so, I guess it could sit there a couple of weeks... but never more than a month.

At work... the homeless ALWAYS have shopping carts... every week I take or call the stores and tell them where they can pick up their carts...

and... always, if possible, alert the person first and most are very appreciative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 08:48 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,444 times
CA would be better off if we seceded from the Feds. Billions of our Tax money go to poorer red states. Imagine if all that money stated here in CA instead of bailing out poor red states.

Funny how Repups talk about Trickle down economy and how bad it is, yet their states are the one begging the Feds for Federal Aid.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:21 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
CA would be better off if we seceded from the Feds. Billions of our Tax money go to poorer red states. Imagine if all that money stated here in CA instead of bailing out poor red states.

Funny how Repups talk about Trickle down economy and how bad it is, yet their states are the one begging the Feds for Federal Aid.
I take it you are kidding (mostly).

I don't agree. Fiscal federalism is what built this country...from the railroads (with the help of cheap immigrant labor) to the national highway system. Rich regions send money to poorer ones with the overall goal of national development. That is how it is supposed to work...if you are liberal and believe the government has a role in promoting the general welfare.

You are correct that red states are poorer and on balance take more than their share of the federal pie.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:36 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post

...Republicans have been and are the ones pushing "trickle down" economics on the country. Paul Ryan is still pushing it with every moronic budget he proposes every year.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:44 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Not sure how trash on the street is a partisan problem...

California did receive a tremendous amount of Federal Dollars for many decades in Military Spending alone... it's much less now with the base closures which many Californians were glad to see closed... at least in the SF Bay Area.

I've worked for wealthy individuals and those of modest means... not really any difference... in that all were property owners... even when I had a mowing service... no poor person or one renting ever hired me.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:48 AM

399 posts, read 407,013 times
The bleeding hearts among you advocating housing these homeless and treating them with respect have clearly never spent any time among them. They're NOT "just like you and me." They're twisted human beings whose priorities are so warped that they have nearly nothing in common with normal folks.

House the homeless? LOL. You think they WANT to be housed? They sleep on the streets for a reason: Because they WANT to sleep on the streets. It's the world they know and love. It's the "freedom" they desire. It's the quick and easy access to the vices of their choice.

Try spending some actual time on the streets. Your fairytale view of the homeless is comical in its naivete. No one wakes up one day and gets kicked to the curb with absolutely no family, friends, or means of support. For you to be sleeping out on the streets and pushing all your worldly possessions in a shopping cart means you've made some seriously sh*t decisions in your life. You reap what you sow.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:02 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Yes, it's a few blocks west of Ralph's.

And I'm afraid to touch it, because there's a security camera aimed right at it, so if I tamper with it there will be a video record of me doing so -- for all I know that pile of junk could be his life savings.

FWIW, that stuff belongs to the guy who wears a dark green cap and sometimes stands in front of Ralph's asking for money. He often rides a bike around the area, making clicking sounds with his mouth and periodically cursing at people while promising to kill everybody.
Wear a disguise. Like an Obama or Nixon mask.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:09 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
Your fairytale view of the homeless is comical in its naivete.
The irony is overwhelming. Holy crap.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:57 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,085 times
Quote:
Will I be violating Mike Feuer's bill of rights for the homeless
You know they can pass these laws, but you don't have to abide by them. I'd go out some night and move that crap.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:40 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
The bleeding hearts among you advocating housing these homeless and treating them with respect have clearly never spent any time among them. They're NOT "just like you and me." They're twisted human beings whose priorities are so warped that they have nearly nothing in common with normal folks.

House the homeless? LOL. You think they WANT to be housed? They sleep on the streets for a reason: Because they WANT to sleep on the streets. It's the world they know and love. It's the "freedom" they desire. It's the quick and easy access to the vices of their choice.

Try spending some actual time on the streets. Your fairytale view of the homeless is comical in its naivete. No one wakes up one day and gets kicked to the curb with absolutely no family, friends, or means of support. For you to be sleeping out on the streets and pushing all your worldly possessions in a shopping cart means you've made some seriously sh*t decisions in your life. You reap what you sow.
It doesn't matter why they are homeless, or whose fault it is. The fact is that they are out there causing quality of life issues for residents and in many cases hurting retail business by their presence. We can ignore them but that hasn't been very successful, or we can arrest them & harass them but trying to control homelessness through law enforcement action is a little like herding cats, and it's expensive. And when they are on the street they become frequent users of emergency services, ER's ambulances etc. Someone is paying for that and it's not them.

Another option put into action 10 years ago by the bleeding heart liberals in Salt Lake City is to provide them housing. That gets them off the street and in an environment where they are surrounded with mental health, substance abuse and medical professionals who try to address the issues that caused them to become homeless. Contrary to your claim in SLC only around 5% refuse to accept housing.

By the way, it costs about half to house them as it does to leave them on the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles