Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 05:56 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I get it. I just don't get under/overrated in this, or any context.
I think, for me personally, I consider LA overrated for those reasons. To others, no. I think you and I are a perfect example of how people can love all different kinds of cities, including LA, but see them differently. For you, the weather and outdoor amenities of LA appeal to you. For me, the lack of a real urban city vibe and cool night temperatures, and the inability to fully experience the outdoor amenities, of LA make other cities look more enticing.

To me, LA is overrated because it's not what I'm looking for. For you, it might be underrated for the hate it gets from the world. And tbh I think in some aspects it's underrated as well. I think it's definitely more urban than people give it credit for. The people are way friendlier than the stereotype. And there's no better city for Latin and Asian cuisines on Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 05:58 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
As someone who was born and raised in LA I don't find it overrated.Just who is doing the rating? Certainly not LA natives.

I come back to visit as often as I can and still enjoy the LA lifestyle.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:59 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I think, for me personally, I consider LA overrated for those reasons. To others, no. I think you and I are a perfect example of how people can love all different kinds of cities, including LA, but see them differently. For you, the weather and outdoor amenities of LA appeal to you. For me, the lack of a real urban city vibe and cool night temperatures, and the inability to fully experience the outdoor amenities, of LA make other cities look more enticing.

To me, LA is overrated because it's not what I'm looking for. For you, it might be underrated for the hate it gets from the world. And tbh I think in some aspects it's underrated as well. I think it's definitely more urban than people give it credit for. The people are way friendlier than the stereotype. And there's no better city for Latin and Asian cuisines on Earth.
My point is I don't think anyplace is overrated. You either prefer one place over another, or you don't. The concept doesn't even make sense to me.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:01 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
As someone who was born and raised in LA I don't find it overrated.Just who is doing the rating? Certainly not LA natives.

I come back to visit as often as I can and still enjoy the LA lifestyle.
Whoever has any opinion in mind in any particular moment. IOW - its a nonstarter.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:02 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Basically people only live here for the weather. If you can handle winter weather, there are much better places for you outside of California.

Californians Seriously Only Live Here For the Weather, Beaches - Goin' Out West - Curbed LA

Unless you entirely hate winter, I don't see the allure tbh. Nobody goes hiking or surfing every single day. The COL is extremely high. Job prospects in SoCal are not good. Unemployment is still high here. Traffic is horrendous.

For me, LA is not some heaven on earth like it is for others. I prefer a city where everything can be done by public transit or walking. The beach here is too cold--the water and the air. The Pacific rarely gets above 70-72 and the air temperature often is not over 75 at the beach. And unless you live walking/biking distance to the beach there's horrible traffic getting to it and you have to pay extremely high amounts of money to park anywhere. The city requires a car for most tasks.

Don't get me wrong. I love this place. I'm a native. It's my home. But I do think it's overrated I guess since I don't utilize the beaches and hiking and winter weather doesn't bother me. I'd rather live somewhere that has winter, but it is much more urban, job prospects are better, and COL is lower. Right now I have my eyes set on Chicago.
I was born and raised in Las Vegas and when I first moved to Santa Monica I froze, but once I got acclimated
to the weather/water, I was fine. I DO practically surf every day, and only use a wetsuit during the colder months, or to protect my skin from the sun. I only heat my pool in the winter, and I swim laps every morning and night. I run around in shorts and light tops most of the time and may carry a light sweater when I walk into town. I can walk to the beach and most places I need to go plus work is only about 20 minutes away.
It's wayyyyy expensive to live here, but I am worth it!

Old 06-04-2015, 06:02 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
Not sure that this is true. There seems to be wealthy people all over the country.
Obviously, and the ones who are truly wealthy probably have second homes on the west coast somewhere. But you are lying to yourself if you think they are in the majority.

Even people who make above average salaries on the east coast and could afford to live in SoCal or SF won't move out west for one reason or another. They are also the ones who have to justify to themselves that life is better out east even if they wanted to move out west. You mostly hear them criticizing CA for earthquakes, wild fires, and democrats.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:39 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
California is good if you are rich and own real estate or work in Hollywood/Silicon Valley. Everyone else there is practically a serf with zero hope of ever owning a home, it's pretty much a plantation for the rich just like every other Latin American society aside from Cuba.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:31 PM

317 posts, read 403,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
Or can't afford it and have to justify to themselves that its better on the east coast
IF anyone is saying that from north jersey than thats hilarious. the NY area is more expensive than LA and the northern Jersey counties nearby are nearly as expensive as LA.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:34 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
I would argue that any place that is consistently good eventually becomes overrated. Almost without exception that happens.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:57 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
I would say that LA is not overrated, in fact, if anything, it is underrated at least insofar as Southern California is concerned. There are many idiots who never go to LA since they believe the entire city and region is MS-13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles