Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:46 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
If anything it's underrated. I swear everyone I talk to on the east coast is either neutral or negative about LA. Never positive. Never. I completely love LA and the east coasters that hate it are just basing it off ignorance or can't see past some homeless people.
I agree with this. Most people seem to look down on LA in other parts of the country. I think this is more of a recent thing as there is very little allure to outsiders anymore as it's faults have been "exposed" so to speak. LA and California in general is seen in a completely negative light by a vast number of people based on the state's political views alone. For the record I'm a political minority in California but I like it too much to let that bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 11:52 AM

74 posts, read 131,031 times
I find it amusing that most of the expert opinions of Los Angeles are from out of staters!

Old 06-05-2015, 01:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
That's why god invented A/C right? The majority of the world requires A/C to be comfortable, and honestly, most of LA does too even though it doesn't have it. For one of the most advanced and international cities in the world, I'm surprised there are still so many apartments that lack even a window A/C unit in this city. I would NEVER rent an apt in a place like Silverlake or Ktown without AT LEAST a window unit in the living room and each bedroom. Central A/C would be better. It might not be required, but I've been to friend's apts in DTLA, WeHo, and BH during heatwaves when it's 90-105 for several days in a row. It's difficult to even breathe in their apts at 1am, let alone sleep.

From what I've seen, most apts in the nice areas of Chicago have at least window/wall units and it seems to be much rarer to have an older building with absolutely no A/C at all. And for that matter, with the lower COL of living there, I'd be able to afford a place with Central A/C in Chicago for probably 1/2 the price of one in LA with no A/C and one of those old heating systems that you constantly fear is gonna burn down the whole building.
See here is where you lose the argument....LOL.

I lived for a few years in the southeast(charming FL) and that was what you heard "well you go from the A/C house, to the A/C car, to the A/C office, to the A/C store".

That's no way to live for months on end.

How I missed just opening a window to get some fresh air. Not an option there most of the time.

You know what? That gets old, and you become a prisoner of A/C. Doesn't even cool down out night to sit outside, just hot and stick with no relief most of the year.

LA gets very hot in August and Sept. Those heat waves you mention last for a week at best, try living somewhere where there is a heat wave for six months.

As far as Chicago goes, interesting city, I was there one year in late March and found out why they call it the windy city, the cold air blew right through you.

You have lived your whole life in Southern CA, with a brief stint in KY. It's easy to say you think the weather is overrated when you have had it as a constant most of your life.

Let's be honest, you take it for granted.

I used to take the gorgeous mountains for granted until I moved somewhere that was flat as a pancake.

Not saying you shouldn't explore other places, of course you should, but don't downplay the brutal winters and hot and humid summers, it does impact you.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius4U View Post
I find it amusing that most of the expert opinions of Los Angeles are from out of staters!

Well you see they get all their knowledge from TV shows.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
California is good if you are rich and own real estate or work in Hollywood/Silicon Valley. Everyone else there is practically a serf with zero hope of ever owning a home, it's pretty much a plantation for the rich just like every other Latin American society aside from Cuba.

Yes, you're the poster who said rents in LA for a one bedroom average $4,000 a month. I suppose if you averaged the cost of one bedroom in Eagle Rock, with Malibu beach houses you might be right....LOL.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:57 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmtcm View Post
Is it overrated to you? Why are you staying?

It's not overrated to me. I lived there 31 years and have moved about the country looking for something better, but for me, it's in CA.

I need more stimulation, better weather, places to go, people to meet, diversity in ideas/religions/politics/scenery.
Bad politics and taxes are everywhere, don't fool yourself in to believing CA is the only state that has these problems. Quality of life in NE Indiana, on my idyllic block, isn't up to my standards - driving 3.5 hours to see a concert or a play, waiting 6 months for the sun to shine, doesn't cut it.

If you're unhappy in CA, why don't you leave and make room for those of us who are coming back?
You are my new favorite poster. That comment about waiting for 6 months to see the sun pertains exactly to Birmingham, Alabama too (where the skies are so blue, my ass).

My move to CA is almost entirely due to the weather, culture, mindset, everything. Getting away from the 1960's mentality of the right wingers here.

And I consider myself to be right in the middle, from an idealogical standpoint.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:21 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Funny you mention the weather as the only thing good, for it was precisely LA's weather which drove me away. I grew up there, and the rest of the lot of my family are all in love with its weather...but not me. Have lived in the PNW since 1989 and this year we're moving to Alaska.

Everything else about LA is pretty okay. I just hate heat and sunshine lol
You and I might really be completely opposite human beings! surprised we haven't met and gotten married and divorced yet!

Old 06-05-2015, 02:42 PM

755 posts, read 675,430 times
Here it is in a nutshell.

On an everyday basis, LA is just like any other city/town in America; you commute short or long to work, you go home and do whatever you do, you get up the next day and do it again..... five days a week.

LA is not Rodeo Dr, the beach, the mountains, the fancy restaurants, night clubs, bars, museums, parks, galleries, et al. everyday, but when it is time to do those things........LA cannot be touched.

People don't "live" LA everyday, it is almost impossible for ANYONE, rich or poor; so they say LA is overrated, using that logic, every place is overrated, not just LA.

Yes, homes in LA are very expensive and you don't get much home for the price, but that is because you are supposed to spend most of your time OUTSIDE the house when living in LA, you don't need some resort type living because you are stuck inside by extreme cold, rain, or heat.

Wish the schools were better and you got a little more bang for your buck, but it is what it is. Anytime you hate LA, just drive around the 10 to PCH North and look at that view, you will be okay!

Old 06-05-2015, 02:51 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Los Angeles usually ranks among the most popular AND hated cities in America. That alone should tell you it's not overrated. But if you're still not convinced, look at some of the comments regarding LA's weather. A 75 degree sunny day is almost always described as "beautiful", "perfect", and "ideal" throughout the country yet Los Angeles, which happens to get more of those types days that just about anywhere on the planet, somehow catches hate for it. Suddenly, it's "boring" and "lacks variety".

Four seasons is where it's at!

Or it gets backhanded praise like "yeah, the weather is great but gangs/earthquakes/illegals/smog/etc". That is not the sign of an overrated city.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:19 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Here it is in a nutshell.

On an everyday basis, LA is just like any other city/town in America; you commute short or long to work, you go home and do whatever you do, you get up the next day and do it again..... five days a week.

LA is not Rodeo Dr, the beach, the mountains, the fancy restaurants, night clubs, bars, museums, parks, galleries, et al. everyday, but when it is time to do those things........LA cannot be touched.

People don't "live" LA everyday, it is almost impossible for ANYONE, rich or poor; so they say LA is overrated, using that logic, every place is overrated, not just LA.

Yes, homes in LA are very expensive and you don't get much home for the price, but that is because you are supposed to spend most of your time OUTSIDE the house when living in LA, you don't need some resort type living because you are stuck inside by extreme cold, rain, or heat.

Wish the schools were better and you got a little more bang for your buck, but it is what it is. Anytime you hate LA, just drive around the 10 to PCH North and look at that view, you will be okay!
Not just in LA but whether it's LA, San Diego, SF, Santa Barbara, whatever.....many times in California you pay for your life outside of your home, not the life inside of it.

But I agree with the whole post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles