Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think L.A should post signs like this?
Yes 14 77.78%
No 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:39 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

This was a sign I remember seeing in Savannah,GA , and it got my attention because I had never seen them before.
Do you think L.A should post these ?

Yes or No? and Why or Why Not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 09:48 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
They should, but it wouldn't mean anything considering how much the city of LA and the LAPD coddle the homeless.
(It's interesting how the LAPD have changed through the years if you think about it - from the most brutal, violent, corrupt, and nasty department west of New Orleans to the most ultra-PC department in the US. From one extreme to another)

Old 06-04-2015, 01:49 PM

Yeah true. I can imagine the signs would be very controversial in L.A and deemed "Anti Homeless" or inhuman.

I don't see what is wrong with the city standing up against aggressive panhandling though.

The problem now is that that people just don't even bother reporting stuff most of the time, because they know the attitude is.."well he/she is homeless...what can you do about it.."

Personally I think these signs would cut down on the activity. It's gotten to the point where you can barely go anywhere without being hit up for money , "Excuse me Sir ...can I ask you a question".. You always know where that's going to lead.

People will say , "Well putting up the signs won't work" ...but the signs combined with a city government and LAPD that enforces the laws would work.

I would 100% support "kicking out" the homeless that are being a problem...just like kicking out the nonhomeless that are causing problems in a neighborhood.

It's just weird this idea is so 'controversial'. In other cities it's the norm that they don't tolerate nonsense. It just isn't acceptable.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:36 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,415 times
I voted Yes.

On a visit to LA a couple years ago, I saw a sign in Malibu that prohibited panhandling and some smaller text was the monetary fine information.

Panhandling is not free speech, it's begging and there are services available for people in need.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:39 PM

86 posts, read 82,776 times
Huge difference between being "physically threatened" and being "asked for money." I don't think anyone needs a sign to call 911 for the first, and you would probably get laughed at if you called 911 for the second.

It does make me uncomfortable when I'm followed/aggressively targeted for whatever spare change I have, but I don't mind being asked. The problem is, the people who tend to be violent/aggressive are mentally ill and putting up those signs won't teach them anything.

Where do you propose we "kick out" the homeless population to? What many people on the streets need is mental health treatment, and no one wants to pay up for that.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:09 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguina View Post
Huge difference between being "physically threatened" and being "asked for money." I don't think anyone needs a sign to call 911 for the first, and you would probably get laughed at if you called 911 for the second.

It does make me uncomfortable when I'm followed/aggressively targeted for whatever spare change I have, but I don't mind being asked. The problem is, the people who tend to be violent/aggressive are mentally ill and putting up those signs won't teach them anything.

Where do you propose we "kick out" the homeless population to? What many people on the streets need is mental health treatment, and no one wants to pay up for that.
<Raises hand> Raise my taxes and do this please. Just be sure to get the job done, ok?

Old 06-04-2015, 09:44 PM

490 posts, read 660,501 times
Wow, I'm the lone no vote?
We do not need to waste money and time, by cluttering the streetscape with more signs.
These signs won't discourage homelessness and who really wants to waste their time calling the cops if asked for a quarter.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:33 AM

86 posts, read 82,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
<Raises hand> Raise my taxes and do this please. Just be sure to get the job done, ok?
Hey, I'm in your camp! The biggest problems are 1) even with money, implementing a successful/efficient program, and 2) the unwillingness of most people to pay up to solve problems that they're constantly complaining about.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:14 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

This was a sign I remember seeing in Savannah,GA , and it got my attention because I had never seen them before.
Do you think L.A should post these ?

Yes or No? and Why or Why Not?
You mean, the City of LA? They'd have to pass an ordinance first, and I don't see that happening. Maybe out in one of the more uptight satellites, like Simi Valley, maybe.

There are several 1st Amendment challenges to laws like Savannah's, making their way through the courts.

I've seen similar signs in some areas, discouraging people from "contributing to the problem of homelessness" by giving money to panhandlers. But the ones I saw were not posted by local governments. They were distributed by some "Council of Churches", and taped to shop windows. Not very Christian of them.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
Wow, I'm the lone no vote?
We do not need to waste money and time, by cluttering the streetscape with more signs.
These signs won't discourage homelessness and who really wants to waste their time calling the cops if asked for a quarter.
Waste of time and money? I don't think so.

What I think is a waste of time and money is spending literally millions on creating and maintaining parks or other resources and then basically letting the homeless take over. To the point where working tax paying citizens avoid those places specifically because of the homeless issues. Litter, pee, poop, being accosted , hit up for money, homeless drinking in public not caring , etc etc

I think a simple reminder that there ARE laws and they WILL be enforced is a good investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles