Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 07:07 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
No man, not really. Obviously you've never been to NYC. There are more people in NYC in a much smaller city.

I've driven though NYC many times and its worse than LA.
Because it's a less spread out city - it's easier to get around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 07:59 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,218 times
I believe the majority of celebrities still have roots in LA just to be close to the industry, making deals, meeting with agents, etc. The LA proper area is so huge, they are certainly spread throughout the area.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:11 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times
There are lots of celebrities in LA and lots of celebrities in NYC. This has always been the case, and it will probably always be the case. I doubt there's any "trend" one way or the other.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:58 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
I'll give a little on the bagels. Although many bagel shops are now run by Asians in the NY metro area and their recipes can be a bit off..

As far as pizza, some of the best I have tasted has been in LA. Much more variety of toppings, better wood fired dough, and less overwhelming "garlickiness" in LA
Interesting about the bagel shops now being run by asians. I'm guessing that a lot of the would be heirs went into investment banking, became attorneys, doctors instead of taking over the family business.

There is a really interesting documentary I saw about Delis in the U.S, it's mainly about a guy that runs one in Houston , but the number of delis has been going down over the years. It goes pretty into depth about deli history and also features deli owners from across the country including Los Angeles.

There are a ton of pizza places that have opened in L.A

I think that NYC people can't diss L.A food as much as in the past.

For bagels there are supposed to be some decent places
10 Best Bagels in Los Angeles | L.A. Weekly

But none are near me. I have always heard good things about Bagel Broker.

Personally I usually crave a great breakfast burrito in the morning versus a bagel...and I'm pretty sure we have NYC beat in that category.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I believe the majority of celebrities still have roots in LA just to be close to the industry, making deals, meeting with agents, etc. The LA proper area is so huge, they are certainly spread throughout the area.
True, there also seems to be a lot of celebrities that have moved into areas like Calabasas . It makes sense as it's more secluded /private than most of the westside neighborhoods.

They can also buy estates with larger pieces of land that might not be available on the westside at any price.

For anyone that thinks everyone in valley lives there because they can't afford other parts of L.A should look at the price of homes in Hidden Hills, Calabasas and the expensive homes in Studio City/Toluca Lake area.
Not cheap by any means.

Median home price in Hidden Hills is $5.7million
https://www.redfin.com/city/8583/CA/...6&market=socal

Old 06-09-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
There are lots of celebrities in LA and lots of celebrities in NYC. This has always been the case, and it will probably always be the case. I doubt there's any "trend" one way or the other.
So all the rumors I've heard of celebrities leaving L.A and NYC for Detroit are false?

Old 06-09-2015, 10:10 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So all the rumors I've heard of celebrities leaving L.A and NYC for Detroit are false?
LOL, no I believe they're all headed to Gary, IN.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
It would be funny if Gary,IN property owners and real estate agents started those rumors in an attempt to raise home values.

I could picture a sleazebag agent leaning over and whispering, "It's in a great school district...and a big Hollywood celeb just went into escrow on the home across the street...they just LOVEEEE this neighborhood and Gary. Just keep this between you and me , kay?"

Old 06-09-2015, 10:46 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Interesting about the bagel shops now being run by asians. I'm guessing that a lot of the would be heirs went into investment banking, became attorneys, doctors instead of taking over the family business.

There is a really interesting documentary I saw about Delis in the U.S, it's mainly about a guy that runs one in Houston , but the number of delis has been going down over the years. It goes pretty into depth about deli history and also features deli owners from across the country including Los Angeles.

There are a ton of pizza places that have opened in L.A

I think that NYC people can't diss L.A food as much as in the past.

For bagels there are supposed to be some decent places
10 Best Bagels in Los Angeles | L.A. Weekly

But none are near me. I have always heard good things about Bagel Broker.

Personally I usually crave a great breakfast burrito in the morning versus a bagel...and I'm pretty sure we have NYC beat in that category.
Funny you mentioned delis: We found more 'traditional" Jewish delis in LA than we now have in our local area, which was a center of Jewish food culture. Actually, we have lost 3 bagel shops over the last 10 years also.

Not sure about the heirs but there has been a major influx of Asians into Queens (easternmost borough of NYC). Their food demands are different than the population they are replacing so we have lost many Italian "pork stores", many delis, many bakeries, and many European-based restaurants. We now have a preponderance of sushi, Korean BBQ and Chinese restaurants, with some Thai, Indian and Vietnamese sprinkled in.

Not a sushi person myself but ironically, my wife swears the sushi in NYC cannot compare with the LA product.

Maybe the Hollywood Stars are futilely searching for delis in NYC?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:05 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Camden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles