Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 11:33 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Funny you mentioned delis: We found more 'traditional" Jewish delis in LA than we now have in our local area, which was a center of Jewish food culture. Actually, we have lost 3 bagel shops over the last 10 years also.

Not sure about the heirs but there has been a major influx of Asians into Queens (easternmost borough of NYC). Their food demands are different than the population they are replacing so we have lost many Italian "pork stores", many delis, many bakeries, and many European-based restaurants. We now have a preponderance of sushi, Korean BBQ and Chinese restaurants, with some Thai, Indian and Vietnamese sprinkled in.

Not a sushi person myself but ironically, my wife swears the sushi in NYC cannot compare with the LA product.

Maybe the Hollywood Stars are futilely searching for delis in NYC?
Yeah I remember in the documentary they mentioned that the only delis able to survive were the ones that owned their own buildings. Just because NYC retail rents have skyrocketed.

I still need to try Langers (in the MacArthur park area)
http://www.langersdeli.com/

I went to Katz, but was expecting it to be better , but pastrami was pretty fatty I thought, but maybe they didn't give me a great piece because I wasn't a local or something...who knows.

There is a huge move towards asian cuisine in L.A too, it's not that new but it seems like in certain areas italian places are becoming more rare.

Italian isn't the 'hot cuisine" right now . There is a big trend towards pizza though and a lot of the fast casual type Pizza place where they bake the pizza in front of you. PizzaRev is one of these and there are a bunch more.

There are a ton of sushi places in L.A , I do like sushi but haven't been eating it as much as in the past.

An interesting thing I noticed when I was in South Florida is that there didn't seem to be any strickly Thai places , any place that was Thai seemed to offer Thai/Japanese . Lot's of Thai/Sushi places.

Another thing that was really annoying to see was all the places advertising "Mexican and Spanish food"
The cuisines are really different and oftentimes places that advertise two types of cuisines that are so different from each other seem like they don't get either one right.

There is a place near me that serves Mexican and Middle Eastern food, and has good reviews but I haven't been yet to try it. The standards aren't too high in this part of L.A , so it's a bit risky lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 01:10 PM

Speaking of celebs making a bunch of money on their L.A real estate...I just saw this.

Jerry Bruckheimer Asking $14.5 Million For Stunning 1960s Modern by Thornton Abell in Brentwood - New to Market - Curbed LA

He bought it in the mid 80s for $1.865million

And for those thinking he's selling to move to an apartment building in NYC, he owns several other properties/estates in the L.A area and elsewhere.

This seems pretty typical for the big timers in the entertainment industry. Then again, they can afford it , so it's not surprising.
And they view real estate as a good investment over time.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:01 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Speaking of celebs making a bunch of money on their L.A real estate...I just saw this.

Jerry Bruckheimer Asking $14.5 Million For Stunning 1960s Modern by Thornton Abell in Brentwood - New to Market - Curbed LA

And for those thinking he's selling to move to an apartment building in NYC, he owns several other properties/estates in the L.A area and elsewhere.

This seems pretty typical for the big timers in the entertainment industry. Then again, they can afford it , so it's not surprising.
Entertainment people have been investing in L.A. real estate since silent days.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Entertainment people have been investing in L.A. real estate since silent days.
True, and probably will forever.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:29 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
True, and probably will forever.
Until the industry leaves

Old 06-12-2015, 12:23 PM

12 posts, read 30,094 times
Indeed. So true.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:11 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
A virtual impossibility. If anything, Los Angeles is due for a sizeable increase in on-location shoots:

Six relocating TV series apply for California tax credits - LA Times

Old 06-12-2015, 03:17 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,503 times
Quote:
Most likely never going to happen.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Most likely never going to happen.
Yeah I doubt the entire entertainment industry would just leave. Most likely other markets will grow , but Los Angeles will still be the 'base' .

I could see opportunities for people to get involved in growing markets.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:01 AM

89 posts, read 134,027 times
Quote:

MCMs are the coolest. they need to be preserved and protected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles