Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 12:30 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

Another thing to think about though with people that are worth a lot of money, they don't all necessarily live in homes worth $10million or more.

I wouldn't be surprised if many people even worth hundreds of millions or billions actually live in homes worth

$1million - $9.99 million.

Even in L.A , you can buy many amazing homes for under $10million.

I agree (as I had mentioned earlier in thread) that many very wealthy people do own multiple residences.

Many wealthy international people have bought and continue to buy property in the U.S too as they want to get their assets/money out of countries that might be less stable Middle East/China etc .

Of course we are talking about Hollywood Stars though and these days Hollywood stars even the top ones aren't on the top of the 'wealth' category. It's more top hedge fund managers, business owners that have the really big money.

For every Tom Cruise there are probably 100 or more people that nobody has heard of that make more than him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 06:17 PM

74 posts, read 131,031 times
I don't care what the idiots earn or where they live, they can choke on their own egos as far as I'm concerned! I am NOT starstruck! They are the least interesting people in the world!!! Last week, I went to see a movie for the first time in over ten years. My mom wanted to go... What can I say? It's mom!

Old 06-30-2015, 06:44 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Wow 10 years! and I thought I went the movies infrequently!

How was it seeing a movie in color for the first time?

Old 06-30-2015, 07:01 PM

74 posts, read 131,031 times
LOL it was WOW!

Old 08-27-2015, 10:51 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,516,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Conan, jimmy kimmel, and that dude who replaced Craig ferguson are still in LA.
With The Tonight Show gone, L.A. does seem to be losing the battle for entertainment business, and NYC now more than ever seems to be the preferred story setting (and usually shooting location) of choice for any kind of film or TV show involving upbeat urban characters and settings. (Strangely, though, the characters in these films and TV shows seem to drive everywhere, even if they live in Manhattan. Used to notice that on Seinfeld.) That said, I think L.A. and Manhattan are probably neck-and-neck in gentrification and the race to become foreign ground to all those not rich enough for ritzy condos or high-rent loft conversions, nor poor enough to live in housing projects (as if anyone wants to). L.A.'s rent stabilization ordinance applies only to apartments built before 1978, so you might say it's gradually being sunsetted as time marches on.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:55 PM

11 posts, read 11,617 times
They really haven't. The majority are in Southern California. But there's been a lot of stars living in other parts of the country like Atlanta and NYC now. It's still nowhere the vast numbers who live in California.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:17 PM

317 posts, read 403,648 times
A list celbrities maybe, but the majority of indie films I watch on netflix are mostly in LA. I really dont think LA is losing it in terms of the entertainment industry. With all of the "hipsters" moving to silver lake, venice and echo park with $$$ I doubt its going anywhere. The music scene in LA is on top of its game and I think the movie industry is sloooowly bringing in a new generation of stars. People are still flocking to LA from all over the country at the end of the day.

I personally hope LA never loses its entertainment appeal. Its what sets it apart from every city in the world.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:31 PM

444 posts, read 665,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
Have you noticed that the Evening Talk Shows have all left LA and are now filming in New York? (After Jay Leno left The Tonight Show.) Originally they were in LA because that is where the stars lived so it was easier to get the stars to show up and promote their movie or TV show.

While some of the Hollywood Stars still have homes in or near Beverly Hills, I get the impression that many of them spend very little time there and prefer to live in New York City. Maybe they think that LA is going down hill and New York is now the place to be.

So, have Hollywood Stars abandoned the Greater LA area? And if so, why?
Check out how vast the list is when you see the list of California celebrity home pictures on this site. A vast majority of those are in the LA area.

www.celebrityhousepictures.com

/thread

Old 08-27-2015, 11:35 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,516,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Another thing to think about though with people that are worth a lot of money, they don't all necessarily live in homes worth $10million or more.

I wouldn't be surprised if many people even worth hundreds of millions or billions actually live in homes worth

$1million - $9.99 million.
On the other hand, the increased activity of of the paparazzi means that, in order to obtain the level of physical privacy which the ordinary citizen takes for granted, celebrities increasingly need houses grand enough to be surrounded by high walls and expansive lots. This isn't to say that, since the early days of the industry, there have always been those that have chosen to live the way. But at the same time, it used to be a lot more common that you could find some A-list celebrities living in houses that were fairly ordinary for their neighborhoods. They were upscale neighborhoods to be sure, and the houses in question might have been more luxurious than average, but they still stood pretty much on the same kinds of lots as their neighbors.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:08 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
On the other hand, the increased activity of of the paparazzi means that, in order to obtain the level of physical privacy which the ordinary citizen takes for granted, celebrities increasingly need houses grand enough to be surrounded by high walls and expansive lots.
Or condos and apartments in high security buildings, which are not as expensive to care for as massive lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles