Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 08:14 AM

452 posts, read 620,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Now the Mickey Dees career employees can afford a studio in the dumpy parts of LA.
Until Mr. Landlord says "cool, he has more money in his pocket. Time to raise the rent $100/mo"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 09:52 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I am by know means a conservative, but no one on here can explain how an increase in minimum wage will help if prices increase in response.

I guess if the margins are good enough for businesses to keep prices the same an eat the additional cost it makes sense. However, the margins in things like grocery stores and restaurants are generally pretty thin.
Show me where an increase in minimum wage has led to an equal increase in the cost of goods, services and housing.
I'll wait.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:14 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
Ummm....then they should acquire the skills to afford L.A., not rely on legislation that forces a business owner to give up his profit.
Unlike you, not everyone was born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Not everyone can aspire to go to college and be in the position to earn a salary of over $100k. Why do people like you insist on keeping others down?

I worked hard to get my Master's degree and when I relocate to California soon, I know I have the skills, experience and education to warrant a great salary to allow me to afford LA. Just because some people don't have the same aspirations as I do doesn't mean that deserve to be chronically underpaid for life.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:11 AM

452 posts, read 620,046 times
Quote:
Just because some people don't have the same aspirations as I do doesn't mean that deserve to be chronically underpaid for life.
Oh geez, another bleeding heart. If you don't have skills, yes you DO deserve to be underpaid. Why don't we pay you minimum wage? Apparently your degree shouldn't matter, right? Or heck why don't we pay the "chronically underpaid" what you will make with your Masters? Since they "deserve" it.

Or are you a limousine liberal?

Old 06-16-2015, 11:55 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Quote:
Oh geez, another bleeding heart. If you don't have skills, yes you DO deserve to be underpaid. Why don't we pay you minimum wage? Apparently your degree shouldn't matter, right? Or heck why don't we pay the "chronically underpaid" what you will make with your Masters? Since they "deserve" it.

Do you not realize that you just admitted people are being paid less than what they deserve? You don't have a problem with that? Doesn't your entire notion of a free market making things better rely on people being paid what they're worth?
You should stay out of these sorts of discussions. You have no idea what you're talking about, you have no understanding of economics, and you cannot employ even the most basic logic.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:07 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It was bound to happen. Now the Mickey Dees career employees can afford a studio in the dumpy parts of LA.
I think those people would be better off retaining their roommate situation and having more money for other things.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:31 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
'Way to go, LA! I think your new min wage is great and hope the ret of the State follows. Yes, prices will go up and we'll all adjust.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:01 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,415 times
Quote:

Your panties got into a twist didn't they? No, I'm no limousine liberal, I just have plain old fashioned common sense and compassion. Thank God you don't own a Dunkin Donuts franchise, otherwise you'd justify that free coffee and a donut with sprinkles will be a fair wage for lowlifes who have no skills. It does take some skills to operate a cash register, make coffee, make donuts, count for a Dozen donuts, count the money, process a credit card payment, say thank you (customer service skills), and clean up the joint.

Everyone, even you, have skills. Some just pay better than others, but at the bottom of the totem pole, those people deserve a fair living wage. Period. Even people like you with silver spoon in your mouth use the drive through window to get your late night snack from an "unskilled" person. Give me a break!

Last edited by MItoBH; 06-16-2015 at 01:24 PM..

Old 06-16-2015, 01:06 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
This increase will do nothing. The increased cost of labor will result in higher prices for goods and services, nullifying any wage increases. This is only a ploy by Democrats to continue milking a braindead voter base.
Possibly, but what people are willing to buy will suppress profits and not just allow a comparable increase in prices. Honestly, if some people lose their jobs so what? They can go back to school easier on a part-time $15/hr wage. I lived in Australia for 6 months which had a $15 USD minimum wage and they had a low unemployment rate to boot. I took an economics class while there and the professor showed us a chart of Australia compared to the USA. Of the poor people, a far greater percentage went back to school in Australia to eventually get higher paying work because they weren't so worried about eating that day there.

If your business needs taxpayer money to keep your employees from starving then you don't deserve to be hiring employees. Plenty of businesses can and do pay their employees a living wage. Most mediocre storefront businesses are being replaced by the likes of Amazon anyway and a modest wage increase won't be the deciding factor in their closing. A successful business will need to innovate.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:57 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,840 times
I look forward to visiting this thread in 5 yrs when the subsequently increased rental rates require an income of at least $20/hr. Need to get that under control, LA county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles