Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:51 AM

8 posts, read 56,453 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I live in Lake Balboa.

While this may seem like an odd question, are there any areas in LA where I can avoid (not hear) fireworks this 4th of July?

I personally like them, but my dogs have really bad anxiety to the point where I would rather take them somewhere to avoid the stress than watch the show.

The fireworks at Birmingham High School are very close and loud.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 01:00 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
i live nearby as well and I don't think you'll avoid fireworks on the 4th. I can walk out my front door on the 4th and watch illegal firework 'shows' in every direction from my house. regarding birmingham, i thought the only show in the west valley was over in woodland hills. i'm pretty sure the high school doesn't host a show.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:10 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
Get some Thunder shirts for you dogs. Amazon.com: thunder shirt

Old 06-16-2015, 02:11 PM

8 posts, read 56,453 times
Thank you BRinSM and maggie2101.

I'm wondering if I drove on the freeway (5 North) during the times the fireworks are displayed if that would work.

I've tried thunder****s, and natural calming remedies with no luck. I do not want to use vet prescribed meds.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:27 PM

434 posts, read 1,019,036 times
Heading into the country with your dogs during the likely fireworks hours seems like the best alternative to me. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2015, 02:49 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
It isn't only on the fourth.
I hear them year round.
Not every night, but often enough.
The latest barrage started about two weeks ago, and will continue well into mid august.
All illegal of course, but I guess the police have more important things to chase rather than illegal fireworks.

Bob.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,141 times
Can I bump this?

I have the same problem with my dog he has seizures. I’ve done just about all I can with soundproofing one room for him, I also have a thunder shirt, pheromones and over the counter pet calm pills, all together help very little. If I knew beforehand when they would go off then it would help a little more.

However I was hoping to get out of town for the fourth. Is there any semi nearby camping or hotel somewhere far enough away where the percussion from the fireworks would be dulled?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:32 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NebberPez View Post
Can I bump this?

I have the same problem with my dog he has seizures. I’ve done just about all I can with soundproofing one room for him, I also have a thunder shirt, pheromones and over the counter pet calm pills, all together help very little. If I knew beforehand when they would go off then it would help a little more.

However I was hoping to get out of town for the fourth. Is there any semi nearby camping or hotel somewhere far enough away where the percussion from the fireworks would be dulled?

Have you considered visiting another country for the weekend? Fireworks are as American as Dale Earnhardt and we love them both.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:14 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NebberPez View Post
Can I bump this?

They are really bad where I live in N OC too. I gave up the stress and battle and rented a house in Big Bear the week of the 4th. I hear they have a firework show over the lake but that's just one night and my dogs do better with those fireworks then the illegal ones.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:25 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
Someone mentioned getting the thundershirt, and from my own experience, taht is a big waste of money.
All my dog wanted to do was tear it to shreds to get it off him.

I have however, found a fantastic solution to the problems of dogs, and fireworks.

Instead of paying big bucks to a vet for prescription drugs, that could have bad side effects, I bought malatonin for my Shepherd, and it completely solved the problem with fireworks, and with no side effects.
It is completely safe for dogs.
I am not sure about cats, but for dogs, it works great.
Best to check with your vet , if your dog is presently taking any medication to be sure there is no interaction.

Google "melatonin for dogs", and read all about it.
The only things to remember is, use the correct dosage , according to the dog's weight, and give it t least 1/2 hour before the expected fireworks.

In my area, fireworks is a nightly thing, from early April, to mid October, not just the 4th of July.

I give my Shepherd one 3mg pill around 7pm, and it lets him sleep till well after all fireworks has stopped, and that includes those loud m80's.

Melatonin is the main ingredient in all sleeping products, and the same pill is used for humans, as well as dogs.
I got mine at Rite aid, but all drug stores carry it.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles