Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
Do you think Pico Rivera and Southgate are rough or nice areas. Let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 9,018 times
I was in the Army, stationed in Texas. For some reason, The states that I've mostly been and seen which are Texas and Kentucky, especially Kentucky. There are white people who do jobs that immigrant hispanics do here in Cali. There are white people that are ghetto in their own way...I guess you can say white trash. I was surpirsed seeing this and area where white people live at, looks very ghetto. So I hate it when people think that "white neighborhoods", are not ghetto.
I'm happy to living back in California. Trust me, is the best dagone state to live at. Eventhough the freaking housing market is ridiciulous expensive, its worth it though.
When I was in the Army, I've never met so many rednecks in my life, they are nice andeasy going people, but definatley not my style.
So Pico Rivera is NOT ghetto at all!
Go to Killeen Texas, that's freaking ghetto!!

Old 02-06-2009, 09:26 PM

359 posts, read 1,312,335 times
Default Naww you right.

MAJOR! Hell it was major ghetto 20 years ago IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Major ghetto IMO, but I guess that could be subjective.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,172 times
It's funny that all of these posts are all from non-residents. I've lived in Pico Rivera for 10 years now and I love it! I grew up, for the most part in Whittier, and although Whittier has it's exceptional neighborhoods, it had scary ones as well. I feel safer in Pico. Keep in mind that this is coming from a gal who grew up terrified of Pico. It had a bad reputation. In reality, it probably gained this rep because it is a city about 90% latino, and mexican at that. Pico is not one of those neighborhoods that was founded by whites and "taken over." It was founded in the 50's by whites and latinos, a lot of them veterans, as an alternative to city living, a suburb. It remains a haven for people escaping the city. So traditionally, people are here to build a better place. There is a lot of time and money put into the parks system and our school district is small but proud. My kids are doing very well and have scored well advanced on their CSTs for years. This is a place where you can be proud of your heritage and be a part of a community where people are connected. (There is only one H.S., so most people know each other!) Of course, we have gangs and a couple tough neighborhoods. The worst, by reputation, is Pico Viejo, an older neighborhood. But, it is not L.A! I've worked as a social worker in some terrible parts of L.A., trust me Pico is a haven. Also, keep in mind, people move to Pico and stay a lifetime. I think that speaks for the area. I can't, and won't, speak for So. Gate. I don't live there. However, I know people who do and they are very happy. Thee is good and bad in every city. But, if you want to know a place ask the residents.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:10 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
Don't like the looks of the place but then again, I'm not Latino..

If I had to live in the general area, I'd pick Whittier.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:53 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,088 times
Born and raised in Pico Rivera. While I personally don't consider it ghetto, it's not a place I would aspire buying a home in. I left PR in early 80's, but visit my parents there frequently. They both live in decent parts of PR, and their homes are paid for, so that's fine for them. While a lot of commercial development has sprung up, there are still some neighborhood areas that I'd rather not walk through ("Pico Viejo" for one).

South Gate.... nope, wouldn't live there if someone paid me to. No, no, no.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:28 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoder View Post
I was in the Army, stationed in Texas. For some reason, The states that I've mostly been and seen which are Texas and Kentucky, especially Kentucky. There are white people who do jobs that immigrant hispanics do here in Cali. There are white people that are ghetto in their own way...I guess you can say white trash. I was surpirsed seeing this and area where white people live at, looks very ghetto. So I hate it when people think that "white neighborhoods", are not ghetto.
I'm happy to living back in California. Trust me, is the best dagone state to live at. Eventhough the freaking housing market is ridiciulous expensive, its worth it though.
When I was in the Army, I've never met so many rednecks in my life, they are nice andeasy going people, but definatley not my style.
So Pico Rivera is NOT ghetto at all!
Go to Killeen Texas, that's freaking ghetto!!
Vast tracts of Texas are redneck as you describe, but the large cities: Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, even El Paso, would be much less of a culture shock coming from California.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:47 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
Do you think Pico Rivera and Southgate are rough or nice areas. Let me know what you think.

Every rough area looks nice in California from the rough and tumble area's of Watt , Compton , East
Oakland and Richmond California to Pico Rico & Southgate, but Pico Rico and Southgate are in no means
ghetto's like Watt's and Compton CA.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:42 PM

419 posts, read 998,310 times
pico pico pico

Old 07-22-2015, 02:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,686 times
I was born and raised in PICO RIVERA so i know how it is to live in this city it nice has things to do you hardly get tired of it.
And the question is is it ghetto well it depends were you are but theres going to be ghetto every city n state you visit or live in n its not soo ghetto here its a good place to live n have a family or just to visit n there are many good places to eat and walk in n just have fun in pico rivera.

Last edited by Nshorty; 07-22-2015 at 02:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles