Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 08:26 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
The homeless campers still in full force in Downtown today.
Same location. Same time of day. One week later.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 09:15 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Same location. Same time of day. One week later.
Yeah. And you're still in the same place too, obsessing on it. Great hobby!

Old 07-17-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
As are you. Here in the same thread. The irony.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:41 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

It's just a photo to show us an update (which I appreciate), and to me, it looks like it's clearing up a bit since the last photo. Maybe the next photo will show NO camping out.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:03 AM

335 posts, read 329,722 times
I have always had a fascination with human behavior. One of the things that intrigues me as I browse these forumsfor the past month or so is how intensely disturbed some nominally socially functioning people are by the tiny percentage of unfortunate souls who fall into life disrepair. It really is an obsession for some. I don't see any irony in observing that. Why is it at all surprising that homelessness exists and that the homeless sit and camp as they do? To sneer arrogantly at the entirely avoidable and minor inconvenience they present seems an unflattering reflection on the judgmental. You who have so much to be thankful for.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:10 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphicDN View Post
I have always had a fascination with human behavior. One of the things that intrigues me as I browse these forumsfor the past month or so is how intensely disturbed some nominally socially functioning people are by the tiny percentage of unfortunate souls who fall into life disrepair. It really is an obsession for some. I don't see any irony in observing that. Why is it at all surprising that homelessness exists and that the homeless sit and camp as they do? To sneer arrogantly at the entirely avoidable and minor inconvenience they present seems an unflattering reflection on the judgmental. You who have so much to be thankful for.
Sorry, but this is gibberish. "Normal" people don't complain about the homeless to pass judgment on less fortunate people, we complain about homeless people because their lives are in such disrepair that they've become harmful to themselves and society at large. People wasting away on the streets while littering and defecating on public areas is not alright. People becoming a permanent underclass living on the streets that get by through begging and burglary and are somehow above the law is not alright.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Sorry, but this is gibberish. "Normal" people don't complain about the homeless to pass judgment on less fortunate people, we complain about homeless people because their lives are in such disrepair that they've become harmful to themselves and society at large. People wasting away on the streets while littering and defecating on public areas is not alright. People becoming a permanent underclass living on the streets that get by through begging and burglary and are somehow above the law is not alright.
Well said.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:13 PM

335 posts, read 329,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Where did I say it was "alright"? I said it is not surprising that a miniscule fraction of the population has these kinds of problems and failures. To obsessively engage in obloquy is judgmental at the very least. The failure we see on the streets is society's failure to address. If you don't personally want to pick up litter on the sidewalk at least fund trash cans and street sweepers. Don't expect the trash to go away because you cast shame on it's unsightliness.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:00 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Where did I say it was "alright"? I said it is not surprising that a miniscule fraction of the population has these kinds of problems and failures. To obsessively engage in obloquy is judgmental at the very least. The failure we see on the streets is society's failure to address. If you don't personally want to pick up litter on the sidewalk at least fund trash cans and street sweepers. Don't expect the trash to go away because you cast shame on it's unsightliness.
Well said.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:35 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
I pay taxes to maintain the city. I am not society, I am a member of it. And so are the homeless, but they're a burden on society. Society is always failing someone. Some people always fall through the cracks. It's not my responsibility to clean up after bums or keep dangerous people off the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles