Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
I don't really have to try very hard here. For example, it's doing this mysterious thing outside right now called... RAIN. You ever hear about that?

Come back when the drought ever ends.

LMAO!!!!! The best you could come up with is the lack of rain here? I literally laughed when I read your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 11:27 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
LMAO!!!!! The best you could come up with is the lack of rain here? I literally laughed when I read your response.
I did as well, and FYI Kingdom, it rained yesterday in LA. Didn't last long, but it did rain.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:35 AM

13 posts, read 24,998 times
I just moved from texas to LA and I can feel the hit tremendously, the only advantage is I have family but I'm thinking it was a big mistake lol

Old 08-26-2015, 01:51 PM

371 posts, read 425,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
LA like NYC is a great place for the super rich, I would not want to be poor or even middle class surrounded by the super rich, it made me quite depressed in Miami. One person driving Bentleys and having 50 million dollar yachts living a mile from people eating out of garbage cans, but thats America for you especially in flashy cities like LA.
LA or NYC are not super rich I don't know where you're looking. Hate to dwell on your semantics, but I'd describe it as, the upper 1% is visible.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:36 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
LA or NYC are not super rich I don't know where you're looking. Hate to dwell on your semantics, but I'd describe it as, the upper 1% is visible.
LA is a city where the upper crust are quite visible, especially on the west side. East of La Brea it turns a mix of sketchy, working class to comfortably upper middle.

It's a worldly city with great divides. Compare that with the bustling cities of Austin, Charlotte, ATL, Nashville, etc. They all have their share of problems don't get me wrong, but the whole city is catered for the middle class, upper middle at best. Houston and Dallas have billionaires and millionaires too but even then at most these two towns look like the OC rather than Beverly Hills. I mean it's just another level of rich here. It's in the stratosphere like lower Manhattan.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:09 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
I'm not sure how visible they really are. I mean sure if you see someone in a brand new Bentley then there is the assumption they are rich...but there are also a lot of people with a lot of wealth that look like average people and drive 'normal people cars' .
I think there is a lot more invisible wealth in L.A than people think.
I think for the most part the wealthy don't want to appear wealthy, especially in a place like L.A
You have a lot more of the 'bohemian' /artsy type wealthy here than I imagine one would fine in Texas cities or some other places.
Look at most of the top entertainment types like directors,producers. They wear basic clothes that looks like they are from 20 years ago. These are people making millions a year.

I think oftentimes the wealthy don't want to and don't need to attract attention.
You have the celebrities going out in public trying not to get noticed and all that too.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:18 PM

302 posts, read 452,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I'm not sure how visible they really are. I mean sure if you see someone in a brand new Bentley then there is the assumption they are rich...but there are also a lot of people with a lot of wealth that look like average people and drive 'normal people cars' .
I think there is a lot more invisible wealth in L.A than people think.
I think for the most part the wealthy don't want to appear wealthy, especially in a place like L.A
You have a lot more of the 'bohemian' /artsy type wealthy here than I imagine one would fine in Texas cities or some other places.
Look at most of the top entertainment types like directors,producers. They wear basic clothes that looks like they are from 20 years ago. These are people making millions a year.

I think oftentimes the wealthy don't want to and don't need to attract attention.
You have the celebrities going out in public trying not to get noticed and all that too.
Correct. Look at a place like Venice Beach. Artsy Hipster types who look like they don't care that much for appearance, but somehow they can afford million dollar homes.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:27 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtamay3 View Post
Correct. Look at a place like Venice Beach. Artsy Hipster types who look like they don't care that much for appearance, but somehow they can afford million dollar homes.
Yeah exactly. For every wealthy/rich person that looks obviously rich there are probably 10 or more out there that nobody would imagine would be that wealthy just by looking at them.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:45 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah exactly. For every wealthy/rich person that looks obviously rich there are probably 10 or more out there that nobody would imagine would be that wealthy just by looking at them.
But those places are still rich enclaves. Just because they dress Boho chic it doesn't mean their digs are not expensive.

My point was that this city has sections that cater exclusively to the ultra wealthy much like 5th Ave NYC, SoHo, etc. The cities I mentioned don't really have whole swathes of the city decked out for the top .01 percent. A rich guy in Houston might have a few really upscale places only he and his family could go to but it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to find a white collar professional dining there too. These cities just don't have sections that only or mostly cater to the super wealthy. Rodeo Dr and Fifth Ave are for the most part tourist attractions to see how the upper echelon live and dine. LA would be Rodeo and places like Dallas and Houston might be Beverly blvd.

LA is in that list of cities like London, Paris and NYC where they're hubs for the ultra wealthy.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:02 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBossM View Post
I just moved from texas to LA and I can feel the hit tremendously, the only advantage is I have family but I'm thinking it was a big mistake lol
I know how you feel. I'll always regret my layover at DFW. Texas isn't for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles