Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 12:21 PM

15 posts, read 30,678 times

Advertisements

I have seen some older threads on this question but wanted to see what the current commute from the Redondo Beach area is to downtown LA (Gas Tower). Would leaving at 6:30 be before it gets bad?

Are there any areas West of downtown but relatively convenient to LAX that would be suitable for a young family? El Segundo, Culver City, etc...?

Any info on the express commuter bus #438 would also be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 04:06 PM

62 posts, read 59,005 times
I would use Sigalert.com Irving Traffic Map to check traffic at different times. They've changed the carpool lane to fastrak so that might help, if you're willing to pay - it does make a difference during rush hour.

If you can afford El Segundo, that would be the best bet for families (if you have school age kids). You can hop on the 105 pretty quickly.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:47 PM

4,537 posts, read 10,597,189 times
45 minute normal at 630am, but depends how far from the freeway you live. On the return trip, have the fasttrak express lane available and your return trip will be about the same.

It's not a particularly rough commute. Your real pain will be parking in that part of downtown.

Not sure about the bus. I'd expect using the bus that your door to door each way will be about 1 1/2 hours.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:28 AM

4,537 posts, read 10,597,189 times
FYI just doing a general Redondo beach to 500 west 5th st(I believe that's the gas tower or very close) gps indicates 22 miles, 34 minutes right now(6:25am). Of course it's July and traffic is lighter in the summer months.

And since people ask frequently, gps indicates that Redondo beach to Santa Monica is 15 miles and a 30 minute drive using Lincoln.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:42 PM

987 posts, read 1,740,344 times
My husband and I commute downtown weekly. (From El Segundo), and we have the Fastrak, like one person already stated, it's worth paying for it, but you only pay a one time fee for the transponder and maybe a couple dollars a month. It's worth it, trust me. We leave our place at 6:30 and he drops me off by 7:15. We both have to be at our jobs by 7:30pm. I forgot to mention we both have company paid parking, mine a few dollars a month, while his is reimbursed. We don't have small children anymore, but I do hear from my new neighbors, that the schools are excellent out there.

We get off at 4:30, and get home before 5:30 (depends on traffic flow), still ends up being good.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:08 PM

15 posts, read 30,678 times
he place we are looking at renting is in north Redondo Beach - more near Hawthorne than Manhattan Beach. How does anyone who isnt an NHL player or already won the lottery afford MB???

We found a place we like a ten minute walk from the Redondo Beach Park and Ride where I can catch either the Green Line or the LADOT Commuter Express 438. Has anyone used the Commuter Express before? The DOT site shows it takes 35 minutes in the morning and 45 minutes in the afternoon - do those seem right? Would driving be faster? How pricey is the fast track?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles