Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 09:42 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Of coarse I wouldn't move until I get a job.
And don't forgot to run spell check before you send in your resume/application.

I've only visited Seattle once...it is a nice city. The weather is not for me so I would never move there. But if you like that weather I can see the appeal of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 10:07 PM

559 posts, read 1,379,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
<snip>

In a field like you majored in Radio/TV it's pretty much all about connections and who you know. There aren't enough jobs out there in that field for the amount of people graduating with the degree. Pretty much everyone in Radio/TV has started at the bottom and taken whatever opportunities they have had in get their 'feet wet' and gain experience.

<snip>
I'll add to jm1982's post that you might want to consider interning (for free) at local radio or TV stations. Your alma mater, CSUN, has KCSN, FM 88.5, while Pacifica station, KPFK, FM 90.7, is in nearby North Hollywood. Stations are constantly saying on-air goodbyes to their interns (so lots of turnover, hence openings) and they sometimes mention that they are leaving for a job in the field.

With the recent digital transition of over the air TV, there are a zillion new channels (most in foreign languages) but I'm assuming that it's expanded the need for interns.

I'll caveat that I have no professional knowledge of the field but if you're not doing anything, might as well get some experience and make connections.

Sounds like you're getting bitter and feeling entitled (mentioning your ex's ethnicity & lack of college; dead tranny), so maybe look into counseling? Interning might help here as well.

And have you looked into whether your being on the autism spectrum has hurt you during interviews? It's not obvious in text form (aside from repetitiousness) but how are you in person? Do you avoid eye contact? Ditto with your CP. Are your potential employers aware of your situation? I mean, with the ADA and all...

Have you sent out feelers to OC, SD, IE, Ventura, etc.? There's a lot of geography between here and Seattle that'll keep you better tethered to your family (not to mention making interviews easier).

It seems that people sometimes reach a tipping point where they have to get out of their present city and must go to their current object of obsession. If so, keep plugging away at Seattle and find your happiness or at least get it out of your system.

Best of luck.

PS: I often hear of the "Seattle freeze." I'm inclined to believe it's either false or overstated, but I've never lived there (I think people are generally the same and that your particular circle is paramount).

Last edited by drunk on kool aid; 07-09-2015 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 07-09-2015, 10:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,448,225 times
Good advice above.

None of us can expect for a perfect job or opportunity to fall on our laps.

Regarding people being 'friendly' it's hard to say for sure. There are nice and rude people everywhere I believe.

Even though a lot of people in L.A think L.A people are rude, I've heard a lot of people say L.A people are more friendly than where they come from or where they are visiting from.

Before I visited Pittsburgh, I kept hearing how everyone is super friendly. But, I didn't personally experience that and had a pretty terrible experience at a hotel there , it wasn't a crappy hotel either. Was also there during a hostage type situation which was happening right in the building next door. So lot's of weird things going on at once ,lol.
I'd go back though to give it another shot.

Anyways I agree sometimes a change of scenery can be good.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:08 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,924,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
I'll add to jm1982's post that you might want to consider interning (for free) at local radio or TV stations. Your alma mater, CSUN, has KCSN, FM 88.5, while Pacifica station, KPFK, FM 90.7, is in nearby North Hollywood. Stations are constantly saying on-air goodbyes to their interns (so lots of turnover, hence openings) and they sometimes mention that they are leaving for a job in the field.

With the recent digital transition of over the air TV, there are a zillion new channels (most in foreign languages) but I'm assuming that it's expanded the need for interns.

I'll caveat that I have no professional knowledge of the field but if you're not doing anything, might as well get some experience and make connections.

Sounds like you're getting bitter and feeling entitled (mentioning your ex's ethnicity & lack of college; dead tranny), so maybe look into counseling? Interning might help here as well.

And have you looked into whether your being on the autism spectrum has hurt you during interviews? It's not obvious in text form (aside from repetitiousness) but how are you in person? Do you avoid eye contact? Ditto with your CP. Are your potential employers aware of your situation? I mean, with the ADA and all...

Have you sent out feelers to OC, SD, IE, Ventura, etc.? There's a lot of geography between here and Seattle that'll keep you better tethered to your family (not to mention making interviews easier).

It seems that people sometimes reach a tipping point where they have to get out of their present city and must go to their current object of obsession. If so, keep plugging away at Seattle and find your happiness or at least get it out of your system.

Best of luck.

PS: I often hear of the "Seattle freeze." I'm inclined to believe it's either false or overstated, but I've never lived there (I think people are generally the same and that your particular circle is paramount).
I'm thinking about also looking for jobs in Bakersfield and San Francisco as well to keep my options opened.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:13 PM

I could see lower cost of living in Bakersfield, I know for sure it''s much lower cost...but San Francisco is even more expensive than L.A in terms of rents.

Also the Bakersfield unemployment rate is even higher than in L.A

Old 07-09-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post

Best of luck.

During my college years I interned a semester at KPFK,KLSX talk 97.1,Cumulus Media in Ventura,CA.

I also interned while in college at ktla 5 tv.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I could see lower cost of living in Bakersfield, I know for sure it''s much lower cost...but San Francisco is even more expensive than L.A in terms of rents.

Also the Bakersfield unemployment rate is even higher than in L.A
Forget Bakersfield then.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:20 PM

How do I explain to my parents that I can't get a job in LA or even get a job interview in LA? My parents don't understand that I'm getting job interviews in Seattle but not LA.

I was at the Northridge mall today and there were 100 open interviewing for $8 jobs at H&M.

H&M only plans to hire 3 people out of 100.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:42 PM

Pretty crazy...hopefully people aren't looking at that to fully support themselves..I'm guessing those jobs are mostly part time anyways though?

Might want to look into stores where you can earn a commission...those are probably harder to get than H&M though.
There was a poster in a recent thread that mentioned he makes I believe $300+ in commissions at a department store.

Also maybe being a waiter , I read an article where a guy mentioned that he heard waiters complain about only making $400 in tips a night! This is going to be high end places though most likely.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Pretty crazy...hopefully people aren't looking at that to fully support themselves..I'm guessing those jobs are mostly part time anyways though?

Might want to look into stores where you can earn a commission...those are probably harder to get than H&M though.
There was a poster in a recent thread that mentioned he makes I believe $300+ in commissions at a department store.

Also maybe being a waiter , I read an article where a guy mentioned that he heard waiters complain about only making $400 in tips a night! This is going to be high end places though most likely.
The city data post of the guy who works on commsion in a department store is bloomingdales. I read his post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles