Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 07:09 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Have you ever driven past that literal sh+t show? It singlehandedly made my wife vegan for a few years.
Not familiar with the area you mentioned north of LA. Did stay at Harris Ranch in Colinga(?). I realize that cattle farms, or any farms for that matter (see upstate NY), can generate a serious poop smell. Fertilizer is fertilizer. And they have to put them somewhere.

But... the hotel was nice and the meat they served was some of the best we ever ate. And my wife is NOT a meat eater by any means but even she said it was quality stuff.
In fairness, I have had beef from other areas of the country that was comparable and I'm sure their farms smell like poop, too.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:14 PM

452 posts, read 619,830 times
I'm sure in 30 years I'll be in those shoes as well. I have a pension, 401k, and the ol hand me downs, whenever those come. I'll probably have more money than you...don't get it twisted, unemployment is temporary.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:28 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
I agree with ultrarunner about Props. 13, 58 & 193; I'm glad they exist and I despise those who've been trying to do away with Prop. 13, as well as those who insisted that it's passage would be financially devastating including our current Governor, who turned out to be exposed as a liar within a handful of years later, and remains a liar 37 years later.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:20 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR2015 View Post
HyperionGap, if we want to take this discussion about top education centers a step further and look at where the new wealth in this country is being created (Where is the Midwest presence?):

The 100 U.S. Cities Where Businesses Received the Most VC Funding
America
Got stuffed so now you want to change gears?

Old 07-19-2015, 02:26 PM

190 posts, read 214,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Got stuffed so now you want to change gears?
No, I already stated my view and backed it up with data (east coast dominates for top 15 private universities whereas Midwest has UChicago. California has the top public universities. Where does that leave the Midwest?). Going to a elite private for networking or a top public for cost benefit makes excellent sense to me. I further extended the discussion to areas of job creation, where local universities are can further leverage their advantage.

If you disagree, state why. Otherwise you may quietly fold your losing position.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:40 PM

For all this ripping on the Midwest, and supposed lack of education (although Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa continually rank top 10 in public schools as I have shown), you seem to forget about lack of stress, and about how the COL is inline with wages. So even if, a person went along with your false argument that coastal people are more intelligent and educated, and that only factories exist in the Midwest (which is all false but I'm making a point) than why are Midwesterners so successful in their lives? How is it possible that lowly Mr. X just toils at the plant making tires, for $18/hr, and his home only costs $100k, how is he possibly making it so decently? No traffic, no excessive taxation, no smog or CARB regulations, no stress. Just a cost of living in line with wages.

And that is what CA does not have. If you are happy with the 1%, good for you. But again, my original argument remains true, and always has, that you are better off as a middle class citizen in the Midwest, or just about any other state, than CA.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:57 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR2015 View Post
No, I already stated my view and backed it up with data (east coast dominates for top 15 private universities whereas Midwest has UChicago. California has the top public universities. Where does that leave the Midwest?). Going to a elite private for networking or a top public for cost benefit makes excellent sense to me. I further extended the discussion to areas of job creation, where local universities are can further leverage their advantage.

If you disagree, state why. Otherwise you may quietly fold your losing position.
Here's some more data from Forbes.

Top 25 Best Public Colleges 2014 - Forbes

1. Westpoint
2. Annapolis
3. Airforce
4. Berkeley
5. UVA
6. William & Mary
7. UCLA
8. Michigan
9. UNC Chapel Hill
10. UI Urbana Champaign
11. Wisconsin
12. Washington
13. UT
14. Maryland
15. UF
16 Georgia Tech
17. University of Georgia
18. Indiana
19 Minnesota
20. Davis

3 in CA, 5 in the Midwest. Shocking.

Your data for what you consider the "best" public schools is based on the US News list. If you honestly think there is a gigantic difference in going to undergrad at UCLA vs WI or Michigan you're delusional.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:26 PM

190 posts, read 214,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
For all this ripping on the Midwest, and supposed lack of education (although Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa continually rank top 10 in public schools as I have shown), you seem to forget about lack of stress, and about how the COL is inline with wages. So even if, a person went along with your false argument that coastal people are more intelligent and educated, and that only factories exist in the Midwest (which is all false but I'm making a point) than why are Midwesterners so successful in their lives? How is it possible that lowly Mr. X just toils at the plant making tires, for $18/hr, and his home only costs $100k, how is he possibly making it so decently? No traffic, no excessive taxation, no smog or CARB regulations, no stress. Just a cost of living in line with wages.

And that is what CA does not have. If you are happy with the 1%, good for you. But again, my original argument remains true, and always has, that you are better off as a middle class citizen in the Midwest, or just about any other state, than CA.
If you think $18/hr is comfortable and sustainable over the long term with the macro trends in this country, then we don't have much further to discuss. Good luck with your improved standard of living back home.

Nobody ever said the Midwest is devoid of education or intelligence. I believe this conversation originated from your claim of being too good for the LA job market with your superior midwest education (Stanford and Caltech trumps UChicago, UC schools rank above top Midwest publics).

Old 07-19-2015, 04:12 PM

Yes. And that's also why my colleagues left, or settled for Elon Musk bending them over. Only game left in town.

As for $18/hr in the Midwest, homes aren't on a boom bust cycle there. You can get homes for $75k, to $250k for an executive home, to $400k for a huge McMansion. Quite sustainable.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:13 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
So what school did you go to that is superior?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles