Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 04:13 PM

190 posts, read 214,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Here's some more data from Forbes.

Top 25 Best Public Colleges 2014 - Forbes

1. Westpoint
2. Annapolis
3. Airforce
4. Berkeley
5. UVA
6. William & Mary
7. UCLA
8. Michigan
9. UNC Chapel Hill
10. UI Urbana Champaign
11. Wisconsin
12. Washington
13. UT
14. Maryland
15. UF
16 Georgia Tech
17. University of Georgia
18. Indiana
19 Minnesota
20. Davis

3 in CA, 5 in the Midwest. Shocking.

Your data for what you consider the "best" public schools is based on the US News list. If you honestly think there is a gigantic difference in going to undergrad at UCLA vs WI or Michigan you're delusional.
Let's assume that the top Midwest publics are viewed on the same level as the top UC schools. Do you think location plays no role in giving local graduates a leg up in their career? It is surprising that you so ardently defend the Midwest when you chose to live in LA. The coastal cities and the south are running laps around the Midwest in creating high paying jobs in growing industries less vulnerable to automation. From the standpoint of job opportunities (the entire point of why we discussed school rankings), the Midwest lags the two coasts and the south.

Yea, I guess if you are talking about service industry and blue collar work, the COL difference is favorable to the less urban, less developed secondary metropolitan areas of the Midwest. I have said from the start of this long discussion that I think those who are barely getting by are better off moving to cheaper inland cities.

America's Fastest-Growing Cities 2015

Old 07-19-2015, 04:26 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
I don't know….maybe it's just me but I don't find LA to be expensive at all… yeah housing is high, yeah rents are high, but people who live there think it's the most expensive place on earth. Where I live in CT….and where I was in CA….. CA was actually cheaper and salaries in CT were higher. And you can't even compare LA to the NYC area when it comes to prices… LA is a bargain in comparison. But LA is no more expensive than DC metro/Boston metro etc...

Old 07-19-2015, 05:01 PM

631 posts, read 748,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
I don't know….maybe it's just me but I don't find LA to be expensive at all… yeah housing is high, yeah rents are high, but people who live there think it's the most expensive place on earth. Where I live in CT….and where I was in CA….. CA was actually cheaper and salaries in CT were higher. And you can't even compare LA to the NYC area when it comes to prices… LA is a bargain in comparison. But LA is no more expensive than DC metro/Boston metro etc...
Current apartment listings on Zillow, for apartments NOT shared.

Close to the lowest price in Boston, MA:

Highland St, Roxbury, MA 02119 is For Rent | Zillow

$750/mo

Washington D.C. "metro area":

1522 Isherwood St NE APT 4, Washington, DC 20002 is For Rent | Zillow

$750/mo

Los Angeles, CA:

8911 S Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90003 is For Rent | Zillow

$850/mo (California privilege in the ghetto)

Old 07-19-2015, 05:13 PM

452 posts, read 619,447 times
Quote:
The coastal cities and the south are running laps around the Midwest in creating high paying jobs in growing industries less vulnerable to automation. From the standpoint of job opportunities (the entire point of why we discussed school rankings), the Midwest lags the two coasts and the south.
Oh man, you make this too easy. The Midwest is known for its work ethic, that stems from the sunrise to sunset mentality. That's why they recruit us to do work. And the states with the best economies, and lowest unemployment? You guessed it! Midwest!!

Unemployment Rates for States

Old 07-19-2015, 05:27 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post

$750/mo

$750/mo

Los Angeles, CA:

Roxbury MA is one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Boston……aka….the ghetto…

And basically, anyone who lives in the greater NYC/Stamford CT/north Jersey area laugh when LA people complain about prices. And then look at the taxes people pay in the coastal northeast….enough to make an Angelino cry..

nice cherry pick though!

Old 07-19-2015, 05:56 PM

631 posts, read 748,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Roxbury MA is one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Boston……aka….the ghetto…

And basically, anyone who lives in the greater NYC/Stamford CT/north Jersey area laugh when LA people complain about prices. And then look at the taxes people pay in the coastal northeast….enough to make an Angelino cry..

nice cherry pick though!
Middle-Class "Cherry Picking":

California Income Tax Brackets 2015

9.3%, Sales Tax: 9%, Gas Price Low: $3.65/gal (Los Angeles)

Connecticut Income Tax Brackets 2015

5.5%, Sales Tax: 6.35%, Gas Price Low: $2.93/gal (Stramford)

Massachusetts Income Tax Brackets 2015

5.25%, Sales Tax: 6.25%, Gas Price Low: $2.44/gal (Roxbury)

New Jersey Income Tax Brackets 2015

5.53%, Sales Tax: 7%, Gas Price Low: $2.43/gal (Dover)

New York Income Tax Brackets 2015

6.45%, Sales Tax: 8.875%, Gas Price Low: $2.77/gal (New York City)

Last edited by znlwovuhrjw; 07-19-2015 at 06:07 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 07:49 PM

174 posts, read 172,573 times
Quote:

I'm originally from Irvine and now reside in southern CT. I'm not going to enter into the "my state is more expensive than yours" online debate, but there are numerous things that are far more expensive in Stamford, CT area than LA. You have to set aside the surface expenses like housing, which is similar in both areas, sales tax (which is a relatively insignificant expense) and income tax (which CA borderline robs from its residents). Utility cost in the coastal Northeast are significant. The kW/h rates are through the roof (highest in nation I believe) as is the cost of oil (home heating). The first home I moved into in CT was partially insulated and it cost approximately $800 a month just for heating in the winter. I have since moved to a more energy efficient home and it's down to about $550 a month. You can have electric heat but then your electric bill will be just as high! In the summer, you have the highest kW/h rates so if you keep your central air running, which most do in the tropical humid summers we have, your electric bill will be several hundred (I paid 210 in June).

Another expense I found to be insane is the bi-annual car tax bill that arrives Jan 1 and Jul 1. This year for three vehicles, I paid several thousand.

The property tax rates are nearly double what I remember paying in CA - especially in areas like Scarsdale and Mamaroneck as you get closer to the city. You're likely looking at 10k+ per year on small starter homes in these towns. In CA, I paid about 3500 on a similarly assessed home.

The reason for my post is not everything is black and white when looking at surface expenses like income and sales tax. Cost of living is a totality of a lot and from my life experience of living in both places, the coastal Northeast leaves me with less spending money. That's why I'm looking to relocate - cash out and go somewhere cheaper!

Old 07-19-2015, 07:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:

$750/mo

$750/mo

Los Angeles, CA:

Roxbury? LOL, you wouldn't fly over that area in a plane.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:14 PM

103 posts, read 97,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
There's only two options .
Stay or leave .
Sounds like you've located some affordable markets and if you want to be a homeowner especially it makes sense to move.

Things will likely get even more expensive here at least that's the way they are trending.
And even if prices dropped they won't drop by much . Even if prices dropped a lot tons of people still wouldn't be able to buy a house here .

A lot of people seem to be realize they might never be able to afford a home in LA , several articles on here were posted about it from LA magazine and some other places .

It will be interesting if people make a move and take action or if they will still be talking about it .
Waiting around for the government to build affordable housing is a bad idea . I've heard la politicians say this but in reality if they do it it's only going to help a very tiny amount of people .
It's just the mayor and others have to talk about " doing something about affordable housing " for the people of LA , but talk isn't doing anything .
Having meetings , discussions and studying things doesn't help anyone .

I say vote with your feet and keep the option of moving back when you make some good money and have good savings .
In your opinion, what happened?!! Is it interest rate manipulation by the Fed? The wild gyrations of California home prices didn't start until 1998. It's been rough sailing ever since then.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:20 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
Quote:

Please add NYC Income tax to the NYS State tax which in total can surpass the CA State Tax. There was a recent article stating that $100 was worth about $86 in NY and about $89 in CA.
Basically the same, but we definitely found groceries and the cost of utilities to save you about $100 to $200/ month in LA.

Manhattan rents easily outstrip any LA rents but the other four boroughs bring down the average. Don't know where that $2.77/gal gas is but we are not quite at $3.65/gal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles