Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 03:03 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,774,395 times

Advertisements

Another idea is to skip the car rental (at least for most or part of the trip) and just rely on Uber. It'll probably come out to about the same amount, plus you can see the city better if someone else drives.

We had some friends stay in Marina Del Rey (hardly the most transit connected or walkable part of LA) and they were here for almost a week without renting a car. Just used Uber to get to Beverly Hills, Hollywood, etc. It'll probably be a little cheaper than renting too, as long as you aren't trying to take the cars from Pacoima to Disneyland or something (or you have bad luck and need on during surge price hours).

On the day you want to drive to Santa Barbara, rent the car and keep it for a day or two if you want to do some of your own LA-area driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 03:18 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,307,196 times
Uber could be cheaper, it just depends on how much or how far one would be driving of course. In the Uber app you can do fare estimates to get an idea of how much things might cost.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:12 PM

190 posts, read 213,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowebil View Post
I'm not sure what to write here, and not sure what to expect.

I guess I'm wanting tips for my travel.

So I wish to travel this month alone. I need some time alone to think and to focus on a project.
My work revolves around traveling alone, and installing computer systems for a certain type of business.

So I want to prepare for that, since I never traveled alone.

I checked on Enterprise website, and they don't mention anything about a young renters fee.
So I am guessing that I'll be getting a rental car.

I really want to fly into LA, stay somewhere for a few days, and then drive along the coast and check out Santa Barbara.

I'm looking for cheap hotels with a weekly special. Any tips? Should I stay away from LA, and then drive to LA in the day?

I'm confused on what to do, and still haven't decided.

I'm almost 23 -- I am coming from Pennsylvania -- and have a week and 2-3 days of vacation time.

Positive tips and ideas are appreciated!
You could rent a bike and spend half a day biking along the coast from Torrance to Santa Monica... excellent activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles