Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:03 PM
REM REM started this thread

368 posts, read 992,133 times

Advertisements

I'm from Indianapolis and i live in a very integrated area. Here we have mostly white and black with about 10-15% hispanic and 5% other. I was thinking about moving to LA in a few years and having kids. Everytime i hear about LA i hear about how the races are more divided there. Are there any areas in LA or around LA where the people are more integrated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 07:07 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,615,942 times
where did you hear that? nothing could be further from the truth!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:38 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,495,735 times
You can monkey around with this census data tool.

Tiger Map Server Browser

It has drop down boxes for all sorts of demographic and economic and housing data. The problem is the data are a little old.

Here is a slightly more updated tool. Enter the zip code and when the next table of data come up, click on "map". Try a block group resolution.

American FactFinder

Last edited by Charles; 01-23-2008 at 07:50 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 11:36 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,858,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
I'm from Indianapolis and i live in a very integrated area. Here we have mostly white and black with about 10-15% hispanic and 5% other. I was thinking about moving to LA in a few years and having kids. Everytime i hear about LA i hear about how the races are more divided there. Are there any areas in LA or around LA where the people are more integrated?
Yes, you can live in Westchester, Palms, Hollywood, West Los Angeles district, and the Valley. Those areas are diversified. Just stay away from South Central and the Eastside.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:48 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,039,548 times
What's wrong with South Central and the Eastside?

Old 01-24-2008, 07:45 AM

40 posts, read 143,761 times
As someone who is new and moving to LA, can you explain what areas are South Central and Eastside....also why avoid them?

Old 01-24-2008, 09:22 AM

830 posts, read 2,852,910 times
You've never heard of South Central? Google it. Those areas are essentially war zones. Very heavy gang activity.

As far as diversity goes, I can't imagine living anywhere in the US, other than New York, that has more diversity than LA. Generally the only "white" areas are those near the beach and other over-priced areas like Beverly Hills, Malibu, etc.

I live in West LA. In my 42-unit apartment complex alone there are whites, Asians, Persians, Russians, straight, gay, young, old, single, married, with kids, etc. And those are just the people I have seen.

Most areas of LA are pretty diverse. There are 10+ million people here. How could it not be diverse?

Old 01-24-2008, 10:05 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,485,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
If you live in Indianapolis and have a job their I would think you are much better off in Indianapolis. Don't forget people move out of California not to California. Their is a reason for that.
If you have never been to LA you should visit their before you even think about moving to that place.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:07 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,858,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen718 View Post
As someone who is new and moving to LA, can you explain what areas are South Central and Eastside....also why avoid them?
I get my information from WikiPedia, and what I've seen in the movies.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:32 AM

40 posts, read 143,761 times
I've heard of those areas but I just wanted to hear someone say it, without making the claims like you see in the movies.

I've heard of few specific towns being named, just wasn't sure if there were more.

But being in NY, it is pretty diverse. I live in the outter boroughs of NY and the area I live in is on the borderline of what some might consider "scary".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles