Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 03:08 PM

126 posts, read 206,891 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Any advice on looking for used cars and I have lots of questions, (avoid if you don't like detail)

I'm trying to spend around ~5000.00-7000.00 max on a reliable used cars so far my research has come across Honda Civic 2006 - 2010 and hyundai accents from (2011 - on ward). Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm trying to stay with reliable Japanese/Korean cars that are safe & reliable.

I'm also planning on getting insurance through http://www.mylowcostauto.com/ soon, anyone have any experience with them? I don't make above 30k and I only been able to find part time job so far.

I'm currently an out of state resident and been driving a parent's vehicle, I still haven't been caught with a out of state resident car yet but I don't want to relay on being sneaky.

I'm not looking forward to making a lot of money in the future so I'm trying to find a safe and reliable transportation to work and back. I'm going to drive it til the wheels fall off.

Also, should I consider Salvage title cars? or only clean? I will be hiring a car inspection mechanic either way.

PS: anyone have any experience with public motors Public Motors - Buy Quality Used Cars at Low Auction Prices

Thank you so much, I will be reading everyone's advice and comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 03:23 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,571 times
Probably in the wrong forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinmcx View Post
I'm trying to spend around ~5000.00-7000.00 max on a reliable used cars so far my research has come across Honda Civic 2006 - 2010 and hyundai accents from (2011 - on ward).
Both reliable cars. Every model has its issues albeit Civics issues are minuscule in comparison to many others. I have a 1994 Camry 4cyl with 200k miles as my winter beater, and it runs great. $1500 all day long on Craigslist.

Quote:
Also, should I consider Salvage title cars? or only clean? I will be hiring a car inspection mechanic either way.
Cars with Salvage and/or Rebuilt titles can be a great bargain if they were repaired properly or the damage was non-structural. Although, your insurance carrier options will be limited. The argument for/against these automobiles is a whole conversation in itself.

It sounds like you may not have a wealth of automotive knowledge, so my suggestion is to get a PPI on whatever you're looking at and call it a day. It will be money well spent. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Probably in the wrong forum.

Both reliable cars. Every model has its issues albeit Civics issues are minuscule in comparison to many others. I have a 1994 Camry 4cyl with 200k miles as my winter beater, and it runs great. $1500 all day long on Craigslist.

Cars with Salvage and/or Rebuilt titles can be a great bargain if they were repaired properly or the damage was non-structural. Although, your insurance carrier options will be limited. The argument for/against these automobiles is a whole conversation in itself.

It sounds like you may not have a wealth of automotive knowledge, so my suggestion is to get a PPI on whatever you're looking at and call it a day. It will be money well spent. Good luck.
Thank you for your reply,

I will avoid salvage, I didn't know my insurance options would be limited.
Sorry if it's on the wrong forum! I always read this page.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your reply,

I will avoid salvage, I didn't know my insurance options would be limited.
Sorry if it's on the wrong forum! I always read this page.
You could avoid the possible headache of salvage vehicles or you could read up and really take advantage of it. If you get the hang of it, you'll be like many others who ONLY buy salvage vehicles and save boatloads over their lifetime.

Insuring isn't going to the the problem (Progressive is great for insuring salvage vehicles), it's the coverage you're going to pay for. For instance, liability on a salvage vehicle is dirty cheap, wheras full coverage is expensive but the payout will be lower due to the salvage title. You're essentially paying for a Clean titled vehicle with a lower payout.

Now when it comes to financing - good luck. You didn't mention if you're buying all-cash, but if you're looking to finance the purchase, you're going to have a very difficult time finding an institution that will take on salvage title vehicles.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:51 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
Quote:
Any advice on looking for used cars and I have lots of questions, (avoid if you don't like detail)
Craiglist is your friend. Dealerships are not.

Quote:
I'm trying to spend around ~5000.00-7000.00 max on a reliable used cars so far my research has come across Honda Civic 2006 - 2010 and hyundai accents from (2011 - on ward). Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm trying to stay with reliable Japanese/Korean cars that are safe & reliable.
Consider Toyota Corolla - they don't need to have timing belt changed at 100K miles as Civics do (Toyotas go with a chain which lasts longer). I'd say stay away from Hyundai, my mechanic friend told me they have lots of problems after 10 years. I bought german audi 2003 for 4K and put another $500 into repairs right away. Well, if you ever consider German car, they most likely need to have CATs replaced and in CA those CATs cost twice as much as compared to other states (for Audi 1 CAT costs 2K and I would need 2!, not counting labor, that's why those german cars became real cheap around that age - no one wants to put 4K into 10 yrs old car).

Quote:
I'm also planning on getting insurance through http://www.mylowcostauto.com/ soon, anyone have any experience with them? I don't make above 30k and I only been able to find part time job so far.
Check Progressive, Geiko, AAA and these guys (and whoever else you like) for minimal level of insurance. Don't get no collision or comprehensive, just for liability, medical expenses and uninsured motorist... Have deductible set high.

Quote:
I'm currently an out of state resident and been driving a parent's vehicle, I still haven't been caught with a out of state resident car yet but I don't want to relay on being sneaky.
Your dad is owning the car, he's not a resident, there's nothing wrong to drive his car with his state plates. Actually, cops might be more relaxed about checking your car registration once they see you're out of state (why would they care about another state's budget).

Same with residency... When you feel you need it, go to DMV and apply. Until then, who cares?

Quote:
I'm not looking forward to making a lot of money in the future so I'm trying to find a safe and reliable transportation to work and back. I'm going to drive it til the wheels fall off.
Good attitude. Learn to do maintenance tasks yourself and look for reliable mechanic.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
You could avoid the possible headache of salvage vehicles or you could read up and really take advantage of it. If you get the hang of it, you'll be like many others who ONLY buy salvage vehicles and save boatloads over their lifetime.

Insuring isn't going to the the problem (Progressive is great for insuring salvage vehicles), it's the coverage you're going to pay for. For instance, liability on a salvage vehicle is dirty cheap, wheras full coverage is expensive but the payout will be lower due to the salvage title. You're essentially paying for a Clean titled vehicle with a lower payout.

Now when it comes to financing - good luck. You didn't mention if you're buying all-cash, but if you're looking to finance the purchase, you're going to have a very difficult time finding an institution that will take on salvage title vehicles.
Thank you,

I'll consider salvage vehicles as well and yes, I have enough save up to pay cash up front.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Craiglist is your friend. Dealerships are not.

Consider Toyota Corolla - they don't need to have timing belt changed at 100K miles as Civics do (Toyotas go with a chain which lasts longer). I'd say stay away from Hyundai, my mechanic friend told me they have lots of problems after 10 years. I bought german audi 2003 for 4K and put another $500 into repairs right away. Well, if you ever consider German car, they most likely need to have CATs replaced and in CA those CATs cost twice as much as compared to other states (for Audi 1 CAT costs 2K and I would need 2!, not counting labor, that's why those german cars became real cheap around that age - no one wants to put 4K into 10 yrs old car).

Thank you I'll lo

Check Progressive, Geiko, AAA and these guys (and whoever else you like) for minimal level of insurance. Don't get no collision or comprehensive, just for liability, medical expenses and uninsured motorist... Have deductible set high.

Your dad is owning the car, he's not a resident, there's nothing wrong to drive his car with his state plates. Actually, cops might be more relaxed about checking your car registration once they see you're out of state (why would they care about another state's budget).

Same with residency... When you feel you need it, go to DMV and apply. Until then, who cares?

Good attitude. Learn to do maintenance tasks yourself and look for reliable mechanic.
Thank you,

I'll consider toyota corolla as well and that's true I haven't got caught yet but thanks I'll consider milking my parent's vehicle a little longer. I'm paying for my parent's vehicle insurance, but i'm paying for it as if i'm living in their state not California. I'm not sure if they would actually cover me if I get in an accident.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Thank you,

I'll consider toyota corolla as well and that's true I haven't got caught yet but thanks I'll consider milking my parent's vehicle a little longer. I'm paying for my parent's vehicle insurance, but i'm paying for it as if i'm living in their state not California. I'm not sure if they would actually cover me if I get in an accident.
You'll be covered where ever you are in the US. Policy premium is based on the home base of the vehicle.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:48 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
Quote:
You don't need to change registration of your car in order to update insurance information on where it's parked. I drive a car still registered in CA, yet Progressive charges me the rate based on the fact that my vehicle is parked in WI.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:37 AM

Default Are these ad's scams?

honda

It has a 2.4L 4-cylinder engine with 185 HP and gives around 31 MPG (city and highway combined). It is loaded with all the features including a backup camera, hands-free calling, sunroof, dual LCD screens, key-less ignition and entry, and many more, and is in pristine condition. These manuals are REALLY hard to find. I am selling this primarily because I want a car that has a little more horsepower. It is a great daily driver and is extremely economic in gas mileage.

$3200

Honda Civic Coupe EX Automatic //CLEAN CARFAX!!!

I'm selling a 2008 Honda Civic .It's a 2 doors,5 speed automatic transmission .The interior is in very good shape .Very nice exterior .The car has sunroof .No dings,dents or scratch .

Washed and waxed once a week
Oil is changed every 3000 miles

Clutch is good
Transmission shifts great goes in every gear

$2500

Price seems too good to be true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: