Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:50 PM

452 posts, read 619,388 times

Advertisements

The black areas have much more potential than East L.A.

Does anyone here even know anything about East L.A.?

I spent some time there with some previous family. The Latino population there is Die Hard, and goes back generations. There are stories on EastsiderLA about the Latinos fighting gentrification in Boyle Heights because they are PISSED the white people are moving in.

East LA isnt just an area, it's a culture and a city-state. We aren't talking about normal areas here, and this isn't the 'it's different' argument. I'd bet the farm there is no way, ever, whites or hipsters gentrify East L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 09:11 PM

496 posts, read 574,068 times
Does anyone have any idea about Hawthorne. I feel with it being sooo close to Manhattan beach and the other beach cities, it has sooo much potential. Does anyone feel the same??

Old 07-14-2015, 09:44 PM

452 posts, read 619,388 times
Hawthorne is nothing but dumpy apartments. No chance.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:15 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
I hear a lot about people thinking that areas might drastically change with more rail stations..but i'm not sure if that's true.

There are a lot of areas that have rail stations that still aren't considered great areas by a lot of people.

Of course it's hard to tell if they would be better or worse without the rail.

If the new stations do result in more people riding that traditionally have been nonusers I don't think it will happen overnight.
It would be a culture shift for many to give up their cars.

It will be interesting to see what happens for sure.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:10 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
The black areas have much more potential than East L.A.

Does anyone here even know anything about East L.A.?

I spent some time there with some previous family. The Latino population there is Die Hard, and goes back generations. There are stories on EastsiderLA about the Latinos fighting gentrification in Boyle Heights because they are PISSED the white people are moving in.

East LA isnt just an area, it's a culture and a city-state. We aren't talking about normal areas here, and this isn't the 'it's different' argument. I'd bet the farm there is no way, ever, whites or hipsters gentrify East L.A.
You're totally right about East LA. There was a time when Latinos, Japanese, Jews, and Italians all lived there but now that it's pretty much all Latino, it may be a long time before it becomes diverse assuming it ever even happens. East LA might have already reached the point of no return.

I don't think that areas like South LA have more potential than East L.A. The violence is still very high (the highest in the city). Areas with significant gentrification transformation like Silver Lake, Echo Park, Highland Park, and Venice had some violence, but it wasn't near the level of what it was in East LA or South LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I hear a lot about people thinking that areas might drastically change with more rail stations..but i'm not sure if that's true.

There are a lot of areas that have rail stations that still aren't considered great areas by a lot of people.

Of course it's hard to tell if they would be better or worse without the rail.

If the new stations do result in more people riding that traditionally have been nonusers I don't think it will happen overnight.
It would be a culture shift for many to give up their cars.

It will be interesting to see what happens for sure.
Having rail stations isn't going to magically help a place get better. While more people may have the opportunity to go to those areas, if there is no attraction or it's unsafe to begin with, then people won't go. If anything, rail stations provide a more affordable public transportation option to help individuals in lower income areas (that often also have higher crime) who may not be able to afford a car.

Like you said, there would have to be a major shift where a lot of people use public transportation. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:14 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,165 times
Being directly on the Gold, red, purple, or expo line is vastly different than being on the green or blue line, both in terms of car frequency and reliability, and in terms of neighborhood safety. blue and Green lines go through the most dangerous parts of LA. The other lines do not.

Nearly every subpar neighborhood on the gold and expo line will continue to gentrify. Nearly every stop on the redline already has to some extent, even Mcarthur Park.

Last edited by JohnG72; 07-14-2015 at 11:23 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 01:51 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,844,204 times
Quote:
Oh my god I agree with you. I went with a friend to look at some studios real close to the main drag in Hawthorne and it was pretty dumpy.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:42 AM

71 posts, read 111,637 times
Central long beach for sure.. There has been recent revival of the old and little known historic zaferia district located on a section of the "Anaheim corridor" between junipero and ximeno I assume.. This area isn't really consider central long beach but east, they still overlap nonetheless.. Also, look for Cambodia town to be on the upswing as there has been a recent influx of wealthy and educated Cambodians.. Polytechnic high school also has some of the best programs in all of California.. So I assume middle income earners would seek more affordable living there as well for their kids sake..

Old 07-15-2015, 07:31 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,218 times
Quote:
Not so fast. Those "dumpy" apartments can easily be sold to investors who will refurbish them beyond recognition, or tear them down and build something new. Hawthorne has potential, and surely within the next 10 years, it'll be clear.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:10 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Not so fast. Those "dumpy" apartments can easily be sold to investors who will refurbish them beyond recognition, or tear them down and build something new. Hawthorne has potential, and surely within the next 10 years, it'll be clear.
Couldn't that be said about any neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles