Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 01:46 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,461,564 times

Advertisements

Another area is between Downtown and Exposition Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 12:59 AM

8 posts, read 10,105 times
I wish Sunland-Tujunga would gentrify so that my property value would increase, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:04 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingmyLV View Post
I wish Sunland-Tujunga would gentrify so that my property value would increase, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Would be nice if it did. I don't live too far from there and I think it's a cool little area.

There is already quite a bit of retail there on Foothill, but could use a better mix.
It seems like there is quite a bit of vacant retail space , it's too bad.

A couple months ago or so I was on Commerce ave, in the tujunga area and I could picture that little strip being more vibrant. Would be nice. Some interesting architecture in the area too.

There was this very big building on a corner that was just empty , looked like it had a bunch of old stuff in it..It's a shame.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:17 AM

5 posts, read 7,840 times
Crenshaw

Old 01-11-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theStaleQuince View Post
Crenshaw
A calm before the storm of gentrification on Crenshaw - LA Times

Old 01-11-2016, 11:56 AM

8 posts, read 10,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Would be nice if it did. I don't live too far from there and I think it's a cool little area.

There is already quite a bit of retail there on Foothill, but could use a better mix.

A couple months ago or so I was on Commerce ave, in the tujunga area and I could picture that little strip being more vibrant. Would be nice. Some interesting architecture in the area too.

There was this very big building on a corner that was just empty , looked like it had a bunch of old stuff in it..It's a shame.

Yes, it needs a better mix and better food options. A Target in the old Kmart lot would be nice. I think Sunland is a hidden gem. No one seems to know where it is . Lol

Old 01-11-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingmyLV View Post
Yes, it needs a better mix and better food options. A Target in the old Kmart lot would be nice. I think Sunland is a hidden gem. No one seems to know where it is . Lol
Hopefully things will turn around. Much nicer than areas like South L.A or even hipster areas like Echo Park it seems.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:15 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Sunland-Tujunga is a pretty safe area, but I just don't see it getting spruced up any time soon.

It's a bit of a backwater area too that just doesn't quite have the population density or wealth dynamics to bring in better retail options. Foothill Blvd. in that area looks tired to put it nicely, but Trendy casual dining chains or retail shops have no business incentive to set up there. Bottom line is that young professionals and high-wage earners don't want to live there.

Not that it's a bad place to live, but most people I know who live there are there because they couldn't quite afford adjacent areas like Glendale or La Crescenta (where the schools are also better), and were able to get more bang for their buck in Sunland-Tujunga.

Hopefully most of the meth heads are gone. That would certainly help.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:34 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,635 times
Just drove around most of South LA actually today because I was bored LOL. What surprised me the most being back home is that the actual neighborhoods and houses are actually pretty well maintained especially west of Vermont. Its the actual Blvds that need the most work. Most of South LA is actually in way better condition then some Southern cities i've lived in. Better than a lot of northern cities "ghettos" too.

The area around USC has the most potential to me. We'll see what happens when USC village is up and running and LAFC's new stadium is also up.

South LA pride

Old 01-11-2016, 09:55 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Just drove around most of South LA actually today because I was bored LOL. What surprised me the most being back home is that the actual neighborhoods and houses are actually pretty well maintained especially west of Vermont. Its the actual Blvds that need the most work. Most of South LA is actually in way better condition then some Southern cities i've lived in. Better than a lot of northern cities "ghettos" too.

The area around USC has the most potential to me. We'll see what happens when USC village is up and running and LAFC's new stadium is also up.

South LA pride
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Nice, well maintained housing stock in many parts of South LA, commercial Blvd.'s could use some sprucing up, etc.

Jefferson Park is really nice and they are adjacent to the Expo Line as well. And I agree that the ongoing improvements to USC (including Univ. Village) will bode well for areas surrounding campus such as West Adams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles