U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 14,794 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about a move to LA/OC area. And I have narrowed my choice down to the PV Peninsula. But I learned that there are actually 4 cities on this Peninsula--I think. Do they share the same school district? What is the difference between these 4 areas of the Peninsula? Why do they have 4 place names that all sound so simular? Also, will these cities have a problem with me practicing law out of my home? Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 01:00 AM

8,256 posts, read 16,460,382 times
I know Rancho is more expensive. I believe Rolling Hills the most. I live and don't know. They're all amazingly beautiful and very family friendly. Avoid the east side though near San Pedro. SP isn't a good area.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:48 AM

16,233 posts, read 25,764,115 times
In order of ascention, based on value of property, I would describe the peninsula as follows:

Rancho Palos Verdes
Palos Verdes Estates
Rolling Hills Estates
Rolling Hills

You will find quite a few huge (and smaller) apartment and condo complexes in the first two. Rolling Hills is practically inaccessible if you are planning to have clients coming and going - it is very exclusive. Properties there come with acreage and stables, if that's your thing. It is a gated community.

San Pedro is an ok area - down by Portofino it is pretty seedy, but up in the hills adjacent to PV there are stunning homes (but you will not be zoned to PV school district). I believe the previous poster is referring to the Miraleste area, which can be hit or miss, but if you are in RPV ZIP code, as far as I know, you will be in the school district.

All of the peninsula belongs to the same school district, and the only way you can tell which schools within the district your children would attend is by using the guide in the link below:

STREET INDEX

As far as operating your business from your home, I wouldn't know but I assume the answer may be found in the city's website or by contacting the desired city.

Official Site of Palos Verdes Estates
The City of Rancho Palos Verdes, California
INDEX
City of Rolling Hills Estates

I hope that helps you in your research on which community best suits your desires. You really can't go too wrong anywhere on the peninsula.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:39 PM

61 posts, read 418,344 times
I live on the "East side" in the Miraleste area and find the comment to avoid the east side (and that Miraleste is spotty), well, um, offensive. Perhaps their comments were more in reference to the annexed area called Eastview which was formerly part of San Pedro? While it's true that San Pedro has it's share of issues they hardly encroach into Rancho Palos Verdes. My entire family has lived here 50+ years in a very safe, crime free neighborhood. And in fairness I think it must be pointed out that there are very lovely upscale areas of San Pedro. As with any city, I think it is unfair to label an entire area as good/bad.

The east side of RPV offers some of the most amazing views on "the hill" as the area is called and affords commuters the best access to the freeways. We have the good fortune from our home's location of having beautiful scenic ocean views as well at gorgeous views of the the LA/Long Beach Ports and the City of Los Angeles which are breathtaking in the evenings with the lights reflecting off the water.

The Peninsula is a fabulous place to live, albeit expensive. You will find that although the area is quite affluent, the people here are very down to earth. The schools are in one of the highest performing districts in the entire state and home to one of the only Parent Participation Elementary Schools in the state which continually outscores the other elem. schools on the hill. The high schools are award winning as well yielding one of the highest percentages of graduates into 4 year colleges and univeristies.
The Peninsula is also known for it's equestrian properties, trails and stables. If you're in the market for horse property then this is the place!

To the original poster's questions:

Yes, all of the "cities" are part of the same Palos Verdes Peninsula School District.

The differences between cities is somewhat subtle unless you live "behind the gates" in Rolling Hills which has a much more rural feeling with more sprawling properties and the price tag to match.

There are many people here who work from home but the best place to get those answers would be our local government offices through the links the other poster above provided.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:18 PM

8,256 posts, read 16,460,382 times
No, I didn't mean to be offensive about the eastside. What I meant is that the eastern part of what some consider the peninsula is not part of Palos Verdes and is actually San Pedro. I know that anything within a zip code of anywhere on the peninsula is very upscale and prestigious, but what some that don't live in LA don't realize is that San Pedro is not as good as PV.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:18 PM

110 posts, read 761,391 times
Default San Pedro

Rancho Palos Verdes is San Pedro. I was born and raised in San Pedro right on the boarder of what is now San Pedro and Rancho Palos Verdes. There are areas of San Pedro that you definitely want to stay away from but others are perfectly fine. My mom still lives in her house and there is no problem with crime in her neighborhood.

I would say that Rancho Palos Verdes is a bit better. But as for prices for homes, I don't know any more since its been many years since I've lived there. Its changed a lot in the past 40 years.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:56 PM

61 posts, read 418,344 times
Rancho Palos Verdes is not the same as San Pedro. They are seperate and distinct cities not withstanding the pockets of San Pedro that have been annexed into Rancho Palos Verdes. There are many differences between the cities; Rancho Palos Verdes is not part of LA City, San Pedro is. Rancho Palos Verdes is part of the PVPUSD, San Pedro is LAUSD, we pay seperate taxes and vote in seperate local elections. All the years my family has been here the two cities have been seperate.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:07 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 951,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie4 View Post
Rancho Palos Verdes is San Pedro.
And Beverly Hills is Compton.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:55 PM

110 posts, read 761,391 times
When I went to Dodson Middle School (then called Dodson Jr High) the address was san pedro. That was back in 1970. Once you turned from Summerland onto Western (now it is Rancho Palos Verdes). Back then it was still San Pedro. I remember my bank on Western had the address of San Pedro.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:09 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,556,939 times
I can't fathom any part of PV being undesireable. I've been there quite a bit to enjoy the views and cliffs and it is absolutely stunning there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles